“Very good but could be excellent, left still hungry:(”

Inn at Tanglewood Hall
Ranked #1 of 5 York Harbor B&B and Inns
“Very good but could be excellent, left still hungry:(”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This was a girlfriend overnight adventure. My husband and I always stay in B & B's whenever we travel but my girlfriend does not like to stay in them because she does not feel comfortable staying in someones home. I was hoping our stay at the Inn at Tanglewood Hall would change her mind about B & B's but unfortunately it did not. Over all, we had a very good stay at The Inn at Tanglewood Hall in York Harbor Maine. Andy and Su were gracious hosts, willing to be assistance in any way. The rooms were well appointed for comfort. It is an old magnificent house built in the 1880s so there were a few issues. We were told not to leave the bathroom fan on over night because the people next door have complained about the noise it made in the past and we could hear the people next door coughing and snoring. But I guess that is to be expected in an old house. The rooms and bathrooms were immaculate except for the window sills but I know when you live in the woods it is very hard to keep the window sills clean from all the beautiful surrounding trees. We did have a problem with the bathroom sink faucet as there wasn't hardly enough water pressure to brush our teeth, let alone wash our faces . The breakfast was good but I would not call it bountiful or gourmet. The reason we go to B & B's is to get a great breakfast and when they charge $200 for the night it should be a hearty breakfast. The berry french toast sat out from 8 to 10 so it was a bit soggy by the time we got to it at 9. There was no real protein offered for breakfast in the way of meat. At first we thought the french toast was the first course, so when that was it, we were disappointed. They offered yogurt but there was very little fruit to put on it (a small bowl of melon balls with a few berries). The coffee was delicious and plentiful. I will say again that we did enjoy it over all but because of these few issues I cannot give this B & B five stars. (We have traveled all over Canada and Great Britain and every breakfast was bountiful and included protein of some sort.)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bitty15
sakkl, Owner at Inn at Tanglewood Hall, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
Since we are always striving for excellence, we welcome this helpful feedback and have taken action. We have town water here, so there are no pressure issues. However, the sink in this particular room has a vintage brass art deco fountain spout which we disassembled and restored to normal flow, thanks to this review. In addition, no one has ever mentioned internal noise to us before. In fact, our guests regularly comment on how quiet, peaceful, and relaxing the inn is. All of our rooms are strategically designed so that the beds & TVs are located on walls that are buffered by distance and space from other rooms, with the exception of the twin bed in their sitting room. We decided to experiment and were able to hear a "loud" cough from next door, but no voice transmissions. We are now looking into possibilities for lining the shared heating duct with soundproofing. Not leaving a bath exhaust fan on all night is common courtesy.

The first year or so, we included meat in/with all our breakfast dishes; but we discovered that there is quite a large percentage of folks who simply do not eat various meats due to diet, medical, personal, or religious reasons; or in warmer weather prefer lighter healthier fare, oft leaving meat behind. September was unusually warm here, but now that the fall weather has finally turned colder, we have switched back to serving heartier breakfasts with sides of maple sausages, honey ham medallions, hickory slab bacon, prosciutto, etc when appropriate. We will re-evaluate serving more breakfast meats during the warmer months next season. We do have unlimited refills available of various fruits, yogurt, homemade granola, cereal, savory and sweet breads & bagels, to compliment our family-style hot entrees which all have substantial egg-based protein. That day we served our Raspberry & Blueberry Stuffed French Toast which is meant to be more custard-like than traditional recipes: a deep-dish preparation soaked overnight in eggs, milk, & maple syrup, with layers of cream cheese and berries, baked in the morning, then kept warm on a hot plate as usual; another highly requested guest favorite recipe. We apologize for any inattentiveness regarding the fresh fruit bowl towards the end of breakfast. That is not the norm; we want everyone to be happily full and certainly would have provided more.

We appreciate constructive suggestions when brought to our attention. Thanks for your food for thought and help insuring an excellent experience for everyone who stays with us at Tanglewood!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I decided to spend our anniversary in Maine this year and so we searched for a top rated bed and Breakfast near the coast. It was obvious that the Inn at Tanglewood Hall stood out amongst the reviews. Upon reading their website, we immediately booked a room for four days. The owners of the establishment, Su & Andy, went above and beyond to make our trip special. They welcomed us at the door when we arrived and instantly made us feel at home. The couple had previous restaurant experience and it showed! The breakfasts each morning were highly anticipated by everyone. I have a Gluten Allergy so they made sure to make a version of each meal that fit my dietary restrictions; having it ready as soon as I came downstairs with my husband. I was touched by this sincere form of hospitality.

Su and Andy were very attentive to our interests and where we wished to travel in Maine; making personal suggestions with directions, restaurants, and places of interest each day. I would like to mention that the couple gave the same consideration to every guest and effortlessly enticed conversations at breakfast so that they would flow between all the visitors of Tanglewood Hall. So much so, we now have two new friends from New Hampshire that we hope to remain in contact with.

Lastly, the house is just gorgeous. Coming "home", as we called Tanglewood, was always the perfect end to a long day of sight seeing. Our time at the B&B was the heart of our trip; it was the frame of a perfect picture that we hope to repeat again in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked amazing. We stayed in the Garden Room which was lovely. The beds were extreme...
Litchfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My wife and I can’t say enough positive things about this Inn and about Su and Andy’s hospitality. As we approached the front door Andy had little doubt who we were and welcomed us by name. We learned quite a bit from them about the history of the Inn and of the area. They were ready with maps and a marker to show us the best routes to what we wanted to see, as well as recommendations of places to visit and eat. We purchased the Clay Hill Farms package and went to the restaurant for dinner the first night. It was a great place and a perfect meal. Can’t recommend this place enough. Service was excellent and everything was cooked to perfection. The most enjoyable meal of recent memory.

We stayed in the York Harbor Suite and loved it! It was much larger than I expected, with a bedroom, a sitting room and an enclosed porch with lots of windows. The bed was very comfy. The room was really clean, as were the common areas. I was very impressed with how well maintained the Inn is. I do a lot of work in my own home and know how difficult it is to pay attention to details, and this old Victorian home is very well kept. It had the feel of an old home, but the cleanliness of a new home. The hand painted floors in our room were impressive. After our trip to Clay Hill, we enjoyed the warm evening on the front porch, where there was a hammock and several chairs. For breakfast it was just warm enough to enjoy eating on the porch as well, as there are tables on it, too. It was very relaxing. Breakfast was delicious, too! They are very good cooks. We got to try a few new breakfast dishes, but also have bagels and English muffin, among other things. There was always hot coffee and tea available and hot cocoa, with a variety of juices.

I’m someone who is used to staying at hotels. This was my first stay at a bed and breakfast and the experience was so much better than at a hotel. Champagne and chocolates were included, as it was our 10th Anniversary. I hope to have another stay in the near future. Thank you, Su and Andy!

Mattapoisett, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We were headed back to York, Maine, and trying a new B&B. It was a treasure to find the Inn at Tanglewood Hall: an impeccably-cared-for historic home, comfortable and warmly welcoming, with a charming and subtly whimsical decor. The breakfasts were superb: thoughtfully selected and expertly executed -- from "eggs in a cloud" to scrumptuous baked oatmeal -- accompanied by discreet and sensitive accommodations for those with special diets. And the atmosphere created by the host and hostess was the most relaxed, homey ambiance we've ever experienced. Su and Andy could not have helped more with individually tailored suggestions for restaurants, the stunning Cliff Walk and drives up the coast to Portland's vibrant harbor and its famous Head Light (gorgeous lighthouse/view). We really feel we've found our Maine B&B "home" for all our future trips. A true keeper.

Room Tip: You have to view them online, better yet in person... we had the very comfortable Captain's room...
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The outside is very overgrown so our first impressions were of concern. However, the inside is fine. All the public spaces that we saw were well kept. The room we had was small but comfortable and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was ok, can't say it was great but certainly there were the usual choices and one hot item. The Innkeepers were helpful in telling us of local sights and suggested the Cliff Walk which was lovely. They do own two small dogs so probably not a good spot if you have animal allergies or aversions. Otherwise, it is a decent place and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
sakkl, Owner at Inn at Tanglewood Hall, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
We personally strive to provide an exceptional experience for everyone who visits Tanglewood, and are disappointed if we were unable to do so. We sincerely apologize for the condition of our yard, which indeed had reached its pinnacle of scraggliness during the series of storms that had battered the East Coast, the day these guests arrived. We even had enormous fairy circles of mushrooms erupting in the jungle grass! Unfortunately they left the very next day, when it was finally dry enough for us to be able to mow and trim, and adorn our grounds and home with a plethora of pumpkins, mums, and fall finery.

A Few Notes: Our heirloom wisteria, lilacs, hydrangeas, rhododendrons, forsythias, and other seasonal shrubs bordering an acre of natural woodlands and gardens are reminders as to why this enchanting estate has been called Tanglewood since 1889. These folks chose one of two smaller budget-minded rooms despite other rooms being available. The majority of our rooms are quite spacious (up to 550 square feet) and all rooms offer upscale amenities: sumptuous Tempurpedic mattress toppers, luxurious high thread-count linens, fluffy down blankets and pillows, flat screen TVs with DVD players, etc. We served our most requested recipe that day, an Egg & Cheese Puff with Artichokes, Sundried & Grape Tomatoes, Fresh Herbs, a Chipotle Aioli Drizzle & Mango Peach Salsa. Our two Shih Tzus, Kiko & Pippin are hypoallergenic, non-shedding, and their only desire is to be loved, as it is always our hope that everyone will love our Inn.
Brookhaven, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Went to a family wedding this past weekend in York Harbor, and stayed at the "Tanglewood Inn". Both my husband and I were extremely pleased with the Inn, in every way. The Innkeepers, Su and Andy were welcoming, warm, and extremely helpful with any local area suggestions or maps. Our room (The Billiard Room) was perfect - with the private porch, multiple windows and very comfortable bed. The breakfasts - oh my my - delicious. I asked for all the recipes. I loved how the Inn was decorated. We definitely recommend the Tanglewood, and hope to return there someday.

Room Tip: Billiard Room has a lovely private porch
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Save yourself the wasted time of comparing Maine Bed and Breakfasts; this one is the absolute standout for the entire York and York Harbor area. I spent about 2 hours on the web trying to find the best inn to stay at for my birthday getway with my husband and it didn't take long for me to figure out that Tanglewood offers what no one else does.
First, consider what you are paying for when you stay at a B&B; you have the bed, and then you have the breakfast. Not only is Tanglewood decorated in the style of the time it was built, it still retains most of the features that made it a popular stop on the historical homes tour in York Harbor. But it's the beds that are truly the eye-catching show stoppers here. Each bed has something unique and beautiful to offer, from the sleigh bed to the canopy bed to the four poster bed. Tanglewood has THE MOST comfortable temporpedic topped beds, with the softest and most luxurious sheets I've ever seen at an inn. Sumptuous and clean, the beds are truly masterpieces unto themselves.
Next, the breakfast at a B&B should be something special and Tanglewood delivers above and beyond the norm. Here you will find the standard muffins and bagels with juice and coffee, but Tanglewood serves scrumptious meals such as raspberry french toast, egg and tomato cheese puffs, frittatas, and much more! Read the list of their breakfast offerings on the webpage, and like me, you will be sold right then and there. The dining room is stunning, with a large farm style table that seats plenty, but it's best to take your personal tray out to the veranda and eat at a cozy cafe table in the breeze. Not only is the meal delicious, but you will be waited on hand and foot and will not want for ANYTHING. There is always coffee waiting for you, or fresh lemonade or even homemade cookies or trail mix to snack on while you're lounging in the hammock.
No other B&B I know of has these litte "extras" covered, and they are standard with your stay at Tanglewood. The hosts, Su and Andy are gracious, and do everything they can to make your stay a relaxing and enjoyable one. Not sure what to do on a rainy Saturday? Never been to the area before? Want to go for a hike but you don't have a map? Just ask Su and Andy, if they haven't already approached you about the myriad of things they can point you to with a map and some recommendations.
My husband and I greatly enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to the next time we can plan a "getaway" up north. Thank you Su and Andy for everything!

Room Tip: Book early to reserve the room of your choice--all rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach

Been to Inn at Tanglewood Hall? Share your experiences!