“Classic place to eat and enjoy in York Beach”

Goldenrod Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in York Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Very Good food, service and prices. Had a great lunch and ice cream. The place was packed at lunch time so plan ahead. The taffy counter is not to be missed if only for the smell of the taffy made on site...ice cream too!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Not the best food around but decent sandwiches for a light lunch, fun to sit and watch the people in York. Love to watch the taffy being made, their salt water taffy is delicious. Polite staff. Would definitely go again!

1  Thank Mldankese
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Goldenrod is a well-established York Beach institution. It was founded in 1896 by Edward and Mattie Talpey.

Today’s Goldenrod has a number of features. First is the candy store section with the salt water taffy for which Goldenrod is FAMOUS, plus some newer products. Salt water taffy is made fresh daily. Second is the full-service restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Third is the soda fountain with all its old-fashioned treats. Fourth is the mail order counter.

On my most-recent visit, I patronized the full-service restaurant. I arrived about 5:00 PM. As I was led to my table, I saw a family having breakfast items that included scrambled and toast at $4.49 and waffles at $5.39. Another group was having sandwiches and burgers that range from $5.59 to $9.39.

After browsing the menu, I decided on the Broiled Haddock Dinner at $11.99, which was one of the daily specials. It came with mashed potato and whole kernel corn. The meal was a New Englander’s comfort food dinner.

It was about a 15-minute wait for my meal.

The piece of haddock was excellent. It was a fillet about 1” thick. The flaky breadcrumbs on top were done to light golden brown. The fish tasted as good as it looked. It stayed moist during the broiling process. I could tell that it was very fresh fish. The portion was more than ample. I was able to eat just over half. I took the rest home. The mashed potato was moist and smooth. The corn was very good. It was not waterlogged or soggy at all.

I enjoyed every part of my meal here.

Service is friendly and good. My water glass was refilled when it was half empty.

The décor is simple with Colonial-style varnished tables and chairs.

I recommend dining at The Goldenrod after a day at the Short Sands Beach, York’s Wild Kingdom, or browsing the shops. All are nearby.

If you found this review helpful, kindly click YES below.

3  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I enjoy Goldenrod..food very good well served and kids that wait on you are great....not cheap but well worth the money ice cream fountain is a blast from the past....they have it all!! Felt like I was back in high schoool....their taffy is made right there and you can watch them make it...however forget the fudge expensive and not very good fun place to have luch can be crowdedand is always noisy but worth it

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We spent the last weekend in York Beach. I used to come to this restaurant when I was little we would come to York Beach every July. We always came to the Goldenrod. We had lunch and breakfast here. The food was very good and very fresh. The staff was wonderful. Very clean and reasonably priced. They make salt water taffy and other candy also very good. Also ice cream is good. The bathroom is upstairs very narrow stairs and a little steep. We would definitely return.