“and bring on th taffee.”

Goldenrod Restaurant
Reviewed March 1, 2008

and bring on th taffee.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Reviewed February 27, 2007

Every summer we make our annual trip to York, Maine and to the Goldenrod. It is a piece of Americana that draws you back to Maine each summer. Our children grew up at the Goldenrod and have fond memories of our special times there. How old is this place? I went there as a child and am nearing 60 and it still draws our family as it did when we were kids. It never changes, but remains special through the years. The food is great especially the penuche sundae. A mere mention that I was considering a trip to the Goldenrod and the kids would be ready to go. Now we have grandcildren and their parents can't wait to get back to summer at York and the Goldenrod. It is good times like that that you remember all your life. We live in Florida now, but guess what? We bought our plane tickets to go to Maine in June and where are we going? The Goldenrod!!!! Another trip down memory lane!!!

1  Thank swedejaxfla
Reviewed August 18, 2006

For the first time in 4 years of going to York Beach we decided to eat at Goldenrods. I could kick myself for not going sooner. The atmosphere is nice, the service is great, the servers are the best and the food...incredible. Simple fare but incredible. Prices are very reasonable and the place is clean. What more could a tourist ask for???

A TripAdvisor Member
Milford, NH
Reviewed April 25, 2006

As far as I'm concerned, all roads lead to the Goldenrod! The Goldenrod has been a family tradition for like forever! My grandparents vacationed at York Beach in the early 1900"s, and I'm pretty sure that someone in my family was there when the Goldenrod opened it"s doors for the first time.
My mother used to tell me stories about how she and her friends from Dover would go to Short Sands to bowl and then to the Goldenrod for homemade waffles and coffee.They would sit in front of the fireplace and play cards while waiting for their food.My grandparents, my mother and a friend of theirs from England sat at the Nubble in their Model T car during the hurricane of 1938(not aware that it was a hurricane!!) and then proceeded to the Goldenrod for some of that great food that the Goldenrod is famous for! (even back then!!)
I don't remember the first time I went to the Goldenrod, but I'm pretty sure it was before I could walk there on my own. I haven't missed a summer since, and that would be 57 years! My three daughters are hooked on the Goldenrod, too, and I hope that when they have kids of their own, the tradition will continue.
We wait all winter for the Goldenrod to open for the season. Somehow it is comforting to know that it is still there and all is right with the world!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 21, 2005

I have been going to York Beach for 52 years. Each year it's an absolute must for our family to eat at The Goldenrod at least once. The food is excellent, the price is very reasonable, and it's family-friendly. It's very noisy, so conversation is difficult, but it's part of the charm. In fact, I miss the wood floors. I remember going in there the first year they installed carpeting (not too long ago) and I immediately noticed that I could no longer hear the chairs scraping on the floor...I missed it! But, the noise level dropped down a bit, so I guess it's a good trade-off. Don't forget to get a box of taffy. It's the best -- ever -- anywhere. Nobody makes it like them. You can watch them make it in the window...a real crowd-pleaser.

3  Thank me4me