“Canned clam chowder!?!?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Goldenrod Restaurant

Goldenrod Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in York Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Canned clam chowder!?!?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

When your restaurant is less than 300 feet from the ocean IN MAINE one would think the clam chowder wouldn't be fresh out of a #10 can!! What a joke.
For the main course I had the chic parm special, it would have been better if the cheese was melted and it wasn't cold. Probably go elsewhere next time!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

“Taffy and candy is unreal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

The taffy is phenomenal! Best I have ever had! They have great flavors and it is cool to actually watch them making your taffy. The fancy chocolates they make are great too...truffles are especially good.

The sundae bar is nice too, great ice cream with that old timey feel which is fun.

Don't waste your money on their restaurant. They really should have stayed with their speciality in the candy and sweets department! The dining room is packed in like sardines! If someone sneezes you will wear it because everyone is back to back. I don't understand how the waitresses manage to walk around the tables!

But the candy and taffy in particular is worth it!

1 Thank Jennyx2163
NH
“Missed opportunity-Could be a "gold-mine"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We love visiting York Beach, Maine each and every summer. Short Sands is a wonderful, family summer destination that we all look forward to.
The Goldenrod Restaurant is in the prime location. The home-made candies and ice cream are a major draw. We love to see the saltwater taffy being stretched in the window and the chocolates are yummy. We usually eat lunch as well.
I think because we're so happy to be at York Beach, we forget how truly mediocre the food is and we give it a try again. Well, this year was no different and we sat down for lunch. While the waitress we had (Chelsea) was very friendly and helpful, the food was such a disappointment. My husband ordered the clam chowder - now you would think that being at the shore, it might be home-made - nope, right out of the can. He also had an omlette, which was not even made from real eggs, but rather, the egg substitute you buy in the container. Really!! You can't even use real eggs! I shared a "buffalo chicken" wrap with my daughter which was deli sliced turkey with a splash of some type of sauce. My other daughter had a grilled cheese, which was ok I guess (kind of hard to screw that up). What a disappointment. This restaurant could have it all....great location and with the draw from the taffy and ice cream! Man - what a colossal missed opportunity this is. I think we'll try somewhere else next year when we visit York Beach.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank skootdoot
Worcester, Massachusetts
“great informal place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a great place to get a bite, bring the kids, etc. Wonderful breakfasts (try the oatmeal with raisins! or homemade blueberry strudel), casual lunches and suppers. It has a soda fountain, makes it's own salt water taffy, and you can watch it being made as well! A small gift shop is there too. The prices are fantastic.

Visited August 2012
South Berwick, Maine
“nice little gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We live near york beach maine. Every year we go down, once during the summer. Check out the shops, go to the arcade, etc. This year we went to the Goldenrod. It was late, I figured they wouldn't be taking anyone else in the resturant. 9:40 was the time. They greeted us warmly, set us at a nice table by the window, away from kids. We were shocked. We ordered, he had a burger and I a turkey club. Both were so good. We couldn't belive it. It's a tourist trap there, we assumed that the only good thing there, is their taffy(which is Fabulous) and ice cream. THAT is also very good. It was very clean. If I had one downside, it's the bathroom. It's upstairs, which was not a problem for me, but it could be to some . It also needs an upgrade, big time. Quite messy too. but it was a nice little surprise for us that it was so good and we were treated so nice.

• Visited August 2012