“Needs serious upgrades..maybe even change the mattress!”

Sea Latch Motor Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Nice place, very nostalgic, great locale on waterfront. BUT> seems like the carpets havent been changed in over 40- years, the mattresses feel antiquated, almost like a bedbug feel. Kind of creepy. If it werent for the nostalgia,, I'd go somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank rspyne

Reviewed June 8, 2009

We always enjoy our stays at the Sealatch, just a few steps across the street to Long Sands beach. Nice views of Nubble Light and the ocean from the motel too. The rooms and furnishings may be dated, just like every other motel in the area in the same price range, but they're always clean and neat. The staff and owners are nice and go out of their way to make your stay pleasent.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ErmineLair
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I have stayed here 1 week every year since 2001. Why? Because my in-laws pay for it and my wife and I do not want to hurt their feelings by not going with them. We always stay in one of the cabins which has 2 bedrooms and a small closet-like area with bunk beds for the young kids. This place is old. Several times we have left with sinus infections, once requiring antibiotics to cure. This past summer my daughter had hives the first night.
The carpets in all the cabins that I have visited (4 or 5 of them) are dingy and threadbare. The bathrooms are small and dirty. We bring all our own cleaning supplies and clean the rooms ourselves before we unload the SUV. The furniture is old and dirty as well. The mattresses are very, very hard and caved-in in the center.
The only good thing about this place is the location.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank Rodeler
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I've stayed in a cottage at the Sea Latch every summer for the last 10 years. I have my own summer home in NH on a lake but it's always nice to spend a week at the ocean. Peg and Bob, the owners have always been so nice! Peg greets me with a big hug every year that we return. We automatically get a confirmation for the same week every year in January. We pay our deposit then look forward to our stay. I'm not going to lie and say that it's like staying at the Ritz but I feel it's all about location, location, location!! The beach is right across the street!! My favorite part is how you can see Nubble Light too. If you ever have a problem, Peg and Bob address it right away. If you can overlook that the rooms are a bit outdated this is a great place to stay.

2  Thank JoanneNReading_MA
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I stayed in what they call the two-room suite. Let me tell you, these are not suites and I don't think they should be allowed to call them that. I paid $290.00 for two rooms that had the most uncomfortable mattresses we've ever slepted on, they had to be more than 20 years old, not to mention the bedding, carpet and everything else. It didn't have a kitchette like most suites have, it had a little tiny refrigerator that was smaller than most camper ones. The sheets were clean but the bedspreads were nasty. This was nothing short of highway robbery.
I stayed at a Hilton in Cancun for $100 less than this and it was an extrodinary room, clean on every inch of it with a great view. This room had many disgusting areas in it. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't walk around the floors without something on your feet. The windows looked like they hadn't been washed in a couple of years. It would have been worth it to go a mile in-land and drive to the beach than to stay here. They brag about the view, what a joke. You can see a little bit of the ocean and that is it.
Take my advice and don't stay here.

3  Thank T-45
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I have been coming to the Sea Latch to stay for a week for 12 years now. I'm a regular at York and have stayed in many of the hotels there, and Sea Latch remains as one of my favorite for multiple reasons. Sea Latch has charm. The pool is nice, the cottages are wonderful, and its location can't be beat! The hotel has gradually been working on updating the rooms (for those of you THAT caught up on the topic), and offers clean reasonably priced rooms year round. Renting a cottage there is very difficult because so many people come back every year. If you would like a nice get away, with great location, and a bit of charm, this is the place to go.

2  Thank greenkiwi21
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We paid $95 a night for a room with two double beds in June. I didn't mind paying this amount because this hotel is right across the street from the ocean so you don't have to worry about parking and lugging stuff around. However, I would not have wanted to pay $170 for this room which is what the going rate was going to be in July. I can honestly admit I don't know what the going rate is for rooms in this area in the summer. I would suggest you shop around and compare prices. Maybe $170 is a great deal just to be by the beach.

I'm having a hard time reviewing this place so I'll just state the facts. The room was not very attractive. The bedspreads were really ugly. The refrigerator was old and there wasn't any bureau to unpack clothes if you wanted to stay for a couple of days. The TV was small. I had a terrible time locking and unlocking my door and in the middle of the night, it actually swung open. The room did have that old musty smell. The towels were really small too. The blanket on my bed was rough and old. The sheets were clean and the room while not spotless was cleaned ok except for the top of the heaters. There was actually an old toothpick on one of them.

The pool area has seen better days but it was big with nice stairs along one whole end that went into the pool. It's very refreshing on a hot day. Unfortunately for little children, it's a deep pool with no playing area. The lounge chairs were very comfortable with nice mats on them.

I saw lots of families in the apartment type rooms and small cottages. They appeared to be having a nice time, therefore, I can't tell you how those accomodations are. These people might be the ones who have been coming for years and love it here.

I saw a man painting the outside continually and their parking lot had just been paved so there was some upkeep work being done.. I guess what struck me the most is it was all paved with no grass or trees. Everything was crowded inside a paved area which probably is typical for ocean front places. I found it kind of depressing as you couldn't really see the ocean from these rooms - only cars and parking lots.

The people behind the desk need to have some customer service training. I asked what I thought was a simple question - "How do I get the trolley and does it go to the restaurants in the old York section?". She wasn't knowledgeable at all about this which I found surprising. To her credit, she did try to call the Trolley Co. but they were closed.

I guess it all comes down to this - - If you want to be across the street from the beach and you don't mind paying for the beach location, then this place will probably make you happy. If you expect any luxuries, then this will dissappoint you. Sometimes it all depends on your expectations and who you're with.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
#3 of 9 in York Beach
Sunrise Motel
Sunrise Motel
#6 of 9 in York Beach

Been to Sea Latch Motor Inn? Share your experiences!