“Disliked this motel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Waltham, MA
“Disliked this motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2008

I was very skeptical of the Sea Latch motel myself, but could not pass up the great rate. I decided to call the manager and inform her of all the horrible reviews I had read about her place. She assured me that all claims made were false. Still I decided that I wanted to check the place out for myself before staying there. My family and I made a surprise visit to the Sea Latch. Honestly all the reviews were true. The place was very dirty, run down and old. Honestly I could not believe that they charged $290.00 for this room! They had told me that this particular sweet had just been renovated. The carpet was old and dirty, the bedding was uncomfortable and smelled. I understand that this place is right on the beach and the location is superb, however you still want to sleep somewhere comfortable and clean.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank littletraveler23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

Just my opinion, but the Sea Latch Motel is not as bad as it's being made out to be. Yes, it's old. Yes, the towels are a bit small (but honestly, much larger than a hand towel) and yes, most of the rooms face the parking lot (and the pool)! But just out your door, and literally across the street is the beach and a beautiful view of Nubble Light. No parking issues, no long drive back to your hotel after a long hot day on the beach (especially if you have children) and no having to park your car to the hilt with beach supplies. There are not many "motel" rooms out there that you can stay at for less than their prices, ESPECIALLY in Maine, ESPECIALLY during summer vacation months. I use the word motel in quotes to emphasize, this is a motel. Not to be confused with a hotel. It does not compete with larger establishments, but, the Sea Latch is an affordable, family run, motel that offers you affordable lodging. Basically, it all depends on what you are looking for out of your vacation. Do you want a 5 star hotel and all the "perks" and price, or do you just want a room, to be able to crash at at the end of your day? Personally, I just need a place to lay my head at in between all the summer activities and sightseeing that York Beach has to offer. I have stayed at the Sea Latch Motel since I was a child vacationing with my parents, and am continuing to do so with my family now!

• Liked — The location, and the staff.
  • Disliked — The lack of modernization.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank msliss
Quincy, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

If you are looking for a great location to make use of Long Sands Beach, with a nice view of the ocean and the Nubble Lighthouse, then the Sea Latch is the place for you. If you are looking for great decor, plush comfort, or amenities, this is NOT the place to stay.
The rooms were very basic, and the decor was subpar (they had the same picture over both beds) and there was no phone, alarm clock, or coffee pot provided. The refrigerator didn't work properly. The room we stayed in was clean, and maintained, with few flaws, but perhaps a touch run down. The exact same thing could be said about the pool. Everything was very basic for our needs.
On the other hand, the location could not be beat. We were mere steps away from the beach, just across the street, and had easy access to our room while on the beach. The Sea Latch does not have its own trolley stop, but it was only a short walk in either direction to get to one.
The Latch, has no restaurant, but it does have a small coffee shop, and the Sun and Surf is a short walk down the beach, so food is always available when the restaurant is open. Other great places to eat are a short drive or trolley ride away.
The staff was friendly, if slightly disinterested, though our maid was quite amiable and did her job effectively. Overall, the Sea Latch Motor Inn turned our to be a decent value, because what it lacked in amenities, it made up for with location, and was just the right price.

• Liked — The accessibility of the beach.
  • Disliked — Few amenities and no indoor pool.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank DarthMacho
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2007

Senility has set in for the elderly owners of the Sea Latch Motor Inn. If you want a damper placed on your vacation plans, or if you are looking to see truth to the myth that all New Englanders are rude, stay here, and you will agree. Vacationers beware! Accomodations are very minimal, diry, and the odor is unbearable. This place gives true meaning to "motor coach Inn." You would be better off sleeping in a motor coach or your car than this establishment. Not a good place for families due to lack of respect and poor values.

Stayed August 2007
34 Thank beach_bunnie07

Travelers are raving about these York Beach hotels

Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2006

My husband and I spent a 3 day harvestfest weekend in York and at the Seal Latch. A great room with a King Bed and a front deck overlooking the beach, where we could see the Cape Neddick light house as well a Boone Island Lighthouse. Nice, well furnished, clean room. Michelle, our housekeeper was very accommodating and gave us extra towel, etc, when we asked. The rest of the staff were all very pleasant, and we enjoyed the friendliness of the coffee shop.
The Harvest Festival in the colonial part of York was fun and interesting, albit a bit crowded at time, but very enjoyable. With all the food stalls and the pig roast, we didn't get a chance to try any restaurants. Next time maybe.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JR6
New England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2006

I stayed here with my 2 boys for one night this past summer. I was quick to learn the bathroom was not cleaned from the previous guests. I went to the front desk and was handed a bottle of cleaner and was told to please "clean it myself". I informed the owner with a phone call and received a $200.00 credit toward another stay along with a letter stating they were appalled of the action of the front desk attendant and the cleanliness of the room. in all fairness I attempted another visit only to find much of the same filthy rooms. I will never stay there again and would advise anoyone in search of a nice visit to the Oceanside to stay at The Cutty Sark, it was clean and the owners were very nice, thats were I ended up staying.

• Liked — Nothing at all, it was very dirty and outdated as well.
  • Disliked — Pubic hair on the toilet and urine as well.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Cutty Sark,right up the street.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
54 Thank kostiew
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2006

My family and I just came back from a 5-day stay at the Sea Latch and we definitely recommend it! I was concerned about the motel after reading some of the reviews here but we had a wonderful time and will definitely be going back there! We found none of the problems that others mentioned -- the motel was clean, the rooms small but very clean, the air conditioning worked wonderfully (and this was during the week that there were over 100 degree days), the pool was very clean, and the people at the desk were very courteous! I don't know why others mentioned they had problems -- we never did and are recommending it to everyone we speak with! A high percentage of the other guests we spoke with were repeat guests -- some had been coming for many years. The Sea Latch is a very family-friendly place with lots of families staying there for the second (and third) generation! Stay There!!!!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in York Harbor
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach

Been to Sea Latch Motor Inn? Share your experiences!