“Fox's Lobster House exceeded our expectations”

Fox's Lobster House
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in York Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Skaneateles, NY
“Fox's Lobster House exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed August 14, 2009

You cannot beat the location and menu. Prices are fairly reasonable for such fresh seafood. The decor is more upscale than your average lobster joint and the new bar is lovely. I had the lobster pie, clam chowder, and steamed clams. Everything I tasted was excellent. I definitely recommend lunch or dinner at Fox's. Although I'm sure the pies are wonderful, we saved room for ice cream at Brown's down the road, which has fantastic hard ice cream flavors.

Culver City
“All the way from CA, with love...”
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Unlike a lot of the reviews, I went here for LOBSTER. Pure and simple. Steamed and wonderful. Guess I'm a purist, but the quality and price were amazing. Loved them, all three...
Then had a religious experience when I tasted the Blueberry pie with Vanilla ice cream.
Bottom line, if you're in the area, this place is an absolute must! And if you aren't, it's worth the drive. I come from Los Angeles, and there's nothing on the west coast to match it.

1 Thank computerprofessor
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Inside & Out, This Place is a Winner!”
Reviewed May 24, 2009

On our way to the Nubble we saw Fox's right at lunchtime, so we decided to stop. Since it was such a nice day in mid-September, we ate on the benches outside. While my husband got a shrimp basket, I had to go for the lobster roll. It was excellent! HUGE pieces of lobster lightly coated in the orginal dressing on a slightly warmed bun - the very picture of a lobster roll in my opinion. Even the lettuce was perfect! We took a look around inside, and loved the decor as well.

When we come to York Beach again we'll stop at Fox's!

1 Thank Ashley O
Connecticut
“Lobster in York Beach, Maine”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Location is perfect. Be sure to get a seat by the window or on back wall where the panoramic ocean view is wonderful. Food is good, not exceptional, but good. We found the service to be OK but a bit rushed. They owners would do well to slow the pace down a bit. We ordered martinis and didn't have enough time to really enjoy a pretty fair drink.
The dinner was preceded by an outstanding shrimp cocktail and crisp ceasar salad. The "lazy lobster" was tasty and sized perfectly. Fortunately, we saved room for the blueberry pie which is the best I have ever had. I tried to buy a entire pie, but the owner refused my request. She might have had a bit more "fun" with the request. My request seemed to trouble her a bit.

1 Thank TravelLover63
CT
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We saved Fox's for our last meal on our trip and couldn't have been more disappointed. The restaurant is in a great spot, overlooking the Nubble Lighthouse, but even though we asked to wait for a window seat, we were seated in the farthest corner of the upstairs, against the wall. Needless to say, we couldn't see anything, plus for some reason the A/C was turned off, so it was extremely stuffy and we were suffocating. When we hinted that we'd like to be moved, they gave us a table where only ONE of us could see out the window, and the other was seated blocking a door (isn't this a fire hazard?), with no view at all. It made no sense as this was at 7pm and tables were freeing up left and right.

Once we became accustomed to the heat and accepted the disappointment of our table, we ordered the Shore dinner. The chowder tasted like it came from a can, possibly the worst we had all week. The steamers were okay, but some seemed a little undercooked. The lobster itself was good, but no better than many other restaurants. We also tried Phyllis's homemade blueberry pie with a scoop of ice cream. They didn't heat the pie, and for $8, it was average at best.

Go to Fox's for the view but demand a seat by a window, even if you have to wait longer. Otherwise, you can get better food elsewhere.

1 Thank samry19