“A Fair review”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Reviewed August 21, 2007

. Date: August 13-15th
Dudley Ma

I booked at the Anchorage Inn and then read trip advisor: I wasn't sure what to expect.

Arrival:
The desk clerks: Were very unfair. I arrived early at 11 am to see if possibly my room would be ready. I was advised that most likely my room would not be ready until 3 but I could check back around 1pm. This is standard practice so I understood. They asked if I could pay for my room in the Atrium which I gladly did. I came back around 1pm, stood in line and the couple in front of me received their keys to their room in the atrium. When it was my turn I was told "sorry it would not be ready until 3" . First impression means everything.

The rooms were clean, but very outdated. The bathrooms were in need of some repairs, tile and paint.

Pools: were very over crowded, be careful of your children when sliding in the pool.

The poolside cafe: reasonably priced and convenient.

Overall - alot of money for poor service, and outdated rooms

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
62  Thank suejak

Reviewed August 12, 2007

I used to stay at the Anchorage when I was growing up 20-25 years ago and it was a very nice place then. Now, the rooms are very dirty, we couldn't even walk on the floor because our feet turned black. The sliding screen door fell right out on to the balcony. The parking is terrible. Instead of having parking assigned, it is first come first serve, so what happens is that they start parking people for the beach in the lots and everything is full. When I went and asked the young girl at the desk where we should park she just laughed and said "It is first come first serve", then started laughing as I left the office. There were a few days where the floors were not vaccuumed. It got to the point where I had to leave a note for the chambermaid in order to get things done. This place is overpriced and filthy and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
68  Thank mainelover05
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Anchorage Inn was pretty much what I expected from reading the reviews. The rooms were very small and the beds were hard, but the whole point of the place is the ocean view and the convenience of going to the beach. You can sit outside of your room and watch the ocean across the street. It was a little pricey, but they can charge it for the location. We found the staff to be very nice and friendly. My ten month old daughter needed her baby food warmed up and they didn't think twice about heating up those mushy peas for us. We did spend about $70- on dinner at the restaurant across the street one night. The restaurant is very expensive, but if you are sitting on the edge of the ocean, honestly what do you expect! If you want to enjoy some time by the sea, go to anchorage inn. If you want to sit in your room the whole time, don't go there. My husband and I only get to get away once in a while, so our expectations are not as high as others, I guess. I would definately recommend the Anchorage Inn.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
57  Thank courtneyjacobs
Reviewed July 28, 2007

I stay there every year around this time. It's clean, and quiet. The rooms are nice and cozy. The staff really is the nicest and most helpful. It's a very lovely place with a very lovely view. It's very close to the center of town.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank aliciamherrmann
Reviewed July 16, 2007

This is a motor lodge. Grey shingled exterior, while other reviewers indicated they were shocked at the appearance, is actually very sea front New England and I thought nice. The room we stayed in was very clean and well kept. The pools were nice as well, well maintained. My wife found the hot tub not to be hot at all and after several attempts to use it gave up. The main issue I have with this hotel is that it's over priced for what you get. The rooms are small compared to other average hotels/motels I've stayed in for less. The bathroom was so small the sink was actually in the bed room just outside the bathroom and the room I booked said it was designed for 5 people. I can't imagine one of the other rooms that list for less people (I payed extra for this?) The website shows what appears to be a massive pool with slide, but the pool that has a slide is tini tiny. The indoor pools are nice but also small. Staff was pleasant, no complaints there. York Beach is pricey, every where you go and this motor lodge is not much different. I think I won't be back here or to York Beach. I can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank Submuloc
Reviewed July 8, 2007

The room was OK, but nothing special. Carpet was very thin, and with no padding, so that it was not much diferent than walking on concrete. Room was small. Not enough room to move a suitcase between the bed and an amoire that was on the opposite wall. Furniture and bed were in good shape. Bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen, with just enough room for one person to stand in, kind of like a telphone booth if you take away the space occupied by the tub and toilet. The room was basiclly clean, except for the mold/mildew that was in the bathroom where the tub met the wall and on the ceiling tiles- inexcusable! Office/front desk people looked bored and offered little hospitality. This is an adequate place to stay, but nothing more. Frankly, in my excursions around York Beach, I did not see any property that looked much better.

Lastly, the Anchorage Inn advertises itself as a resort. It is not a resort. It is a motel.

• Stayed: June 2007
42  Thank cagey123
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Okay so last year me my mom,aunt and friend stayed at The Anchorage for a birthday getaway and booked a suite in the third floor. We pulled into the hotel parkinglot and were compltetly shocked at how old and worn out the front building looked. We got into our room and it was smaller than a regular room. The beds were horrible and the rooms were dark. The sink for the bathroom was in the actuall room. The pool was alot smaller than they advertised on their website. The back building was nicer than the front put the pool was in the middle of all the rooms. and it only went 4 ft. deep.The food service was horrible and the exercise room was wet and very small. The restuaraunt across the street was okay. They messed up my order though. It was nasty outside all weekend so we couldnt see the ocean from our room and we had noisy neighboors who were outside til about 12 o clok p.m. The only thing i liked abou The Anchorage was that it was close to all the attractions like Perkins Cove,Yorks Wild Kingdom,Kittery Oulets, Movie theaters, ect. And their is a cute lighthouse with a wonderful restauraunt down the street. My stay was okay but i would not recommend staying here.

44  Thank OceanLover6868
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
Cliff House Maine
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!