“Rather Disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Maryland
“Rather Disappointed”
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I had stayed at this hotel many years ago and had a pleasant experience so I chose this one for 2 weeknights in early June. We were booked on the 3rd floor, no elevator, very steep stairs (not informed there was no elevator). We were told the restaurant across the street was open for breakfast, when we went there, they said only on weekends, we weren't told this. Also, the bathroom was extremely small.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Boston, Ma
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I needed to hold a few web conferences and took my wife and son along to hang by the outdoor pool. The weather was unseasonably warm and it was the perfect opportunity. Erica, the manager failed to mention that the outdoor pool was under construction, strike one. When I arrived the wireless Internet was not working in my building,strike two. Erica was rude and argued that indeed it was working. A few hours later she called and said someone was working on the problem, never apologizing for her rude behavior. The beds were very old and uncomfortable. Maybe they should have though about changing the 10 year old mattresses before the $100,000 pool upgrade. Then I realised there was no hot water, strike three! Again I was told they were working on it. I had to cancel all of my web conferences so decided to enjoy the weather. I left my room and and noticed house keeping was making there rounds on my floor. When I returned later that afternoon my room was untouched by housekeeping. When I checked out I asked Erica for a refund or discount for my inconvenience. She said I'm not going to give you anything. Her excuse was that she was still working on the hot water and Internet and that these things happen and I should understand. Understand this, I'll never be back. If your smart you'll avoid this dump at all costs. There are 50 or so other choices within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these York Beach hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My husband and two school age children stayed at the Anchorage on April 18 & 19, 2009.
We were using the indoor pool and many people (at least 13 people) started have breathing problems, irritated throat, wheezing and green mucous in lungs. When I went to the front desk to ask if it could be the air quality in the pool area - the manager (who has been there 22 years) told me over the phone that I should not be causing problems and "I should just pack my stuff and leave". I explained that I was just trying to figure out what was going on, especially since one of my children has asthma. She again told me to leave and stop causing problems. So I packed up my room, drove home with a child wheezing and went to the doctors. My daughter developed inhalation pneumonia due to air toxins at the pool area. Fortunately my husband, son and I had symptoms but they disappeared in twenty four hours. If you ever have a problem at the Anchorage Inn on York Beach - don't complain because they might throw you out even when you have two children ill from the air quality in the pool area. My next call is the Board of Health in York!!! Keep your family safe and choose a different resort!!! Also I called the owner several times but he did not feel the need to return my calls - guess he approves of his managers "customer relations skills" or lack there of!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed here last weekend. Just a spur of the moment trip, took a drive with my mother and two children (2 & 6) up along the coast and the children had enough of the car by this point. Price was somewhat reasonable at $77 a night, but it was just a room for the night no extras. We stayed in the Atrium building which is behind the main building and has very limited beach views. Indoor pool was the real reason we stayed, kids couldn't wait to get in (it's been a long, cold winter and they have missed swimming). The second of the indoor pools was right outside the door to our room in the atrium. The air was well heated but I can't say the same for the water. My children were shivering and there lips were blue after about ten minutes. The room was nothing special but not that bad, although the beds were not comfortable. We walked to dinner across the street because we didn't want to get in the car again. After dinner it was about 8 and my 2 year old was tired so we stopped by the office/ main pool area so I could get my mother a soda for later because the vending machine in the atrium was broken and we had been drinking tap water all day. So we go into the main pool area which is not bad except the hot tub looked like it was in serious need of a cleaning (didn't really bother me as I had no interest in using it) Go to that vending machine, this one is empty. So we go into the store/cafe in the pool area and the doors are wide open there is someone in there using their computer, but no one around to help us. So we walk up to the front desk and asked if there were anymore vending machines or a place to get soda and he said "yeah, there is another one in the new building but I doubt that has anything in it either" so here I am carrying a two year old trying to get my mother a soda while we are standing practically in the "cafe" that has it's doors open, lights on and sells SODAS and that was the best he could do for us. That was the type of service they provided during our entire stay. My mom was so aggravated she had already walked out so we went back to our room and drank more tap water and turned on the tv. The remote worked to turn on the tv but had stopped working by the time I wanted to turn it off. That was a actually a good thing though because when I got up at about twelve I heard people yelling outside our door, so I looked out the peep hole and there were people in the pool that closes at 9. The pool has cameras so I have no idea why they weren't asked to leave since the three year old was screaming and throwing a temper tantrum. Whatever, I was tired so I left the tv on so I didn't have to listen to them and went back to sleep. When we got up the next morning we let the kids have a quick swim and then went to have breakfast, by the time we came back it was almost time for check out so we packed up and I did my usual check of everything to make sure the kids didn't forget any thing, so I look under the bed, there is a sock, a pepsi bottle cover, the top of a chip bag....all of which were not ours! It was so gross, thank goodness I had not seen it the night before. I would have never been able to get in the bed knowing that is how well they clean in between guests. Overall it is a nice spot right across from the beach, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Tenants Harbor, Maine
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We stayed one night here to meet cousins visiting from NY. We live on the coast two+ hours to the north of York. So, we know Maine - have lived here 30 years.

The rooms are tiny - like 9ft wide by maybe15ft long. The bathroom was tub length - and just a bit wider than the toilet. The light for the bathroom is on the wall opposite the bathroom door, behind the little upright armoir they call a closet - which is itself only as wide and deep as the dorm fridge it houses on the bottom.

The public areas are dingy and much used. Heavily painted cheap T-111 siding from the 80's. Astro turf on the stairs. Front desk staff was perfunctory. Sheets were clean. New flat screen TV.

The room is, to my way of thinking, a $49 room (and fair enough at that price). We paid $89. Plus they charge for coffee in the AM - and any breakfast you might want - which is served in a little glassed-in area adjacent to the pool (chlorine) by a genuinely friendly guy behind a counter.

I know this is Southern Maine, but there must be better choices....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Lake George area, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2009

It was really nice staying so close to the ocean. Even saw a double rainbow that went over the ocean. Won't see that in the city! Nubble Light House is with view and if you like to walk,like we do, its a good hike. Long Sands Beach is across from the Hotel. This beach is clean and not commercialized like Old Orchard Beach. We perfer quiet settings and this was great! Walking along the beach at night is soothing and beautiful. We stayed in the Atrium Building which is located behind the main Suites. We were told that we had a view of the Ocean,which we did, however it was very minimal. The room was clean and comfortable. We could not see our car from our room. There was a "porch" big enough for 1 chair. There is a pool located in this building therefore it was very hot inside. Room air conditioners are kind of noisy. Breakfast was good, fresh baked goods, cereal etc. Overall, it was a nice experience. I would recommend staying in one of the front buildings if you can afford to. York has nice friendly people.

• Liked — Close to the beach!
  • Disliked — Kind of pricey.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I were given a weekend at the hotel by our son and daughter in law. We are not familar with that part of Maine. At check in, the young man was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. We asked about places to eat in the area. It was off season so the choices were limited. We were in the back building which has its own pool. I went for a swim in the pool. Not to be too picky but I would have liked the water a little warmer. There was a limited ocean view from our room. It was great to be so close to the ocean. We took a ride to the nearby lighthouse. I found everyone at the hotel to be friendly and helpful. Worth the trip!

• Liked — How close it was to the beach
  • Disliked — The pool water could be a little warmer
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
York Harbor Inn
#1 of 4 in York Harbor
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!