“Over-priced and NO coffeepot??” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Rockford, Illinois
“Over-priced and NO coffeepot??”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

For $200 per night I would expect more. There was a refrigerator in the room, a queen bed---not very comfortable, and all in all rather dingy. You had to go to the office and pay for a cup of coffee in the morning. The location is good--right across the street from the ocean for views and walking. Have to say the service was good when the toilet wouldn't flush and a repairman came immediately and fixed it and replaced a burned out light bulb.

6 Thank Donna1215

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Easthampton, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have been going to the Anchorage Inn as a family tradition every summer and we have recieved excellent service and amazing quality. If there would be one place to go on a vacation it would be to the Anchorage Inn. The other good thing about the Anchorage is that it is right across from the only restaraunt on the beach! It was very convienint for me and my family. York has beautiful beaches and the Anchorage is by one of the many.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor. Then you can have a beautiful view of the beach.
Franklin, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

First, I love York Long Sands Beach, but I do not go there in season or the crowd will drive you out. When I do go I always stay at The Anchorage, but after many trips we make sure to choose just the right room. First the Large front building is old and in desperate need of a complete overhaul!

But look beyond that, the newer building out back has a wonderful, indoor pool. Many of it's rooms have still got an Ocean View and the beach is , what , a further 20 yds? Not bad at all.

Now the New building at the side ( where we stay now ) is all suites, wonderful decor and large balconies over the Ocean. They have fireplaces ( lovely in the off season ) and a bathroom worthy of any fine hotel in any major city in the world. Huge jetted tubs, stand alone shower. So nice I am having my bathrooms done using their color scheme!

There is also a private pool in the pretty landscaped garden as well as two more large pools in front of the main building. What's not to like? The underground Garage? The free breakfast or the free afternoon wine? It costs more, but to us it is worth every penny for that extra luxury.

The restaurant , across the street right on the beach is simple fair, it relies heavily on seafood but it is wonderful, fresh and presented by the nicest people. My one peeve, an older lady would not let me choose the table I wanted ( we were a two and those were for four ) but then seated two's at those tables...NOT GOOD!

Overall, this place is a winner, but as I said you have to pick and choose or you could end up in the wrong room and the wrong time!

Room Tip: Splurge on the suites, or opt for the back building!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnneYT
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We booked two suites for a three night stay in June 2013.

Very impressed with the new Suites! They are clean, modern and have a great color scheme too!!

There are double sinks in the bathroom and a whirlpool tub! Heated floors are a bonus.

In the sitting area/living room there is a fireplace, microwave, fridge and an in-room safe. Both decks had beautiful views!

There are two flatscreen tvs in each suite!

The private pool for Ocean Suites guests only is very nice and my family enjoyed the hot tub.

There was plenty of parking under the building or out in front.

The ladies that worked the nightly happy hour were very nice.

Can't say enough positive things about the Ocean Suites!!

Great job Anchorage!

Room Tip: All Ocean Suites have beautiful views.
1 Thank scrappingmytravels
West Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family has stayed at the Anchorage for many many years, and I generally love our stay there. The location can't be beat, just steps to the beach with a great restaurant (Sun and Surf) and trolley stop just across the street. The kids in our party always enjoy the pool, especially on rainy days, and the outdoor pool renovations made that area much more inviting (indoor pool area reno would be a hit!). Several years ago the rooms we usually stayed in were updated with super-comfy, high mattresses and bright, clean bedding. The bathrooms could use refreshing, but it's easy to ignore those when you are there for the OCEAN, which is right out your front door!

Of course, it seems each year that unfortunately right out your front door is also a cloud of cigar smoke. If you are up on a balcony and anyone is smoking down below on theirs, you really can't enjoy being outside your room. Why it seems to be happening more and more is beyond me. I called the front desk last year to ask if this was even allowed because the smell was so nauseating and I was told as long as the guest was outside, then there was nothing they could do. So many cities and restaurants are going "smoke free" now in consideration of the health risks and the many many many of us who do not like second-hand smoke; why not follow suit at the hotel, or at least make a designated smoking area away from guest rooms and generally down wind?

But smokers and old bathroom wallpaper aside, I love staying here with my family, and I'd never write a poor review if I didn't notice a real and PERSISTENT decline in guest service over the past few years. While some staff are as pleasant as ever, others are just what many other reviewers have noted here: cold, intimidating, rude, and demeaning. The bracelet policy for the pool made sense in that, yes, only paying guests should be able to use the pool (and shouldn't have to tolerate/compete with day-tripping moochers), but the way it was instituted last summer (I think we had to go down to the desk each morning and get a bracelet for each guest each day, and the bracelets had to be worn all day---NOT carried, worn, without exception, and no other bracelets could be issued if one was damaged or lost. If you tried to carry your bracelets for your party, LOOK OUT!! Prepare to be demeaned and embarrassed in front of everyone in attendance. A simple, sensitive request and kind explanation of the policy would do the trick, instead of yelling and accusations and intimidation--something like...."We're sorry, but we've found that if people carry in their bracelets, they sometimes share them with unpaid guests and this causes unpleasant crowding in our pool area. You probably weren't going to do this, I know, but unfortunately some people do and we're working on a way to cut down on overcrowding. Would you possibly be able to have your child wear her bracelet while she's in the area? And if she needs to take it off when you leave because it bothers her wrist, maybe you could save the old one and trade it for a new one at the desk next time you come in today? Then we can be sure you and the other paid guests have full enjoyment and use of the pool. Thanks so much! We know it seems complicated now, and we're hoping to iron out the kinks as we try a new policy..." Some of the staff, amongst other things, seems determined to assume the worst intentions from all guests and the attitude is just not appealing.

Based on the other reviewers' comments, it seems the Anchorage could invest in some customer-service training (and where necessary, some newer staff!) if it wants to keep its customers coming back. The place has so much going for it, and it would be an utter shame if they lost clientele due to poor Customer service standards! We plan to stay again this summer, but if our CS experience is more of the same, it's probably time to start a new tradition at another hotel :o(

Room Tip: If you want a decent view from original main building, choose third floor to the right facing the oc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DanielJennison
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family has been staying at the Anchorage for years but my last experience was absolutely horrible and I will never again stay there. I booked my stay during the off season so the town was very quiet. Little did I realize when I entered my room, that the entire hotel was under construction and should not have even been open. The room smelt terrible, the doors were taped shut, and there was plywood on some doors. When I filed a complaint, they told me there was no refund and they would move me to another room in the same building. Due to the smoke smell, I did not want to switch to a different room. They would not let me get a refund (even though I had no prior knowledge of the building condition) and when I tried disputing my room with my credit card company, they refused. Their accommodations were horrendous and the management is absolutely not customer friendly. I will never stay at this hotel again and I strongly advise against rethinking this place.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Allyson L

Travelers are raving about these York Beach hotels

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This motel is an average motel on the inside of the rooms-standard fare, small bathroom but clean. There are two indoor pools which was a lifesaver because we were there when it was too cold for the outdoor pool to be open. The outdoor pool looked like it would be a lot of fun for kids too with a slide. The real bonus to this motel is it's location on the beach. It is RIGHT across the street from long sands. There is even the Surf and Turf restaurant across the street on the ocean and they also have an ice cream parlor attached. In the lobby of the motel, there is a mini cafe you can order breakfast and coffee as well as lunch. It also serves as a bar with beer, wine, and liquor. It was a great overnight getaway with the kids and we really enjoyed walking on the beach.

Room Tip: We a room on the 3rd floor that faced the ocean for a better view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Cliff House Maine
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!