“Anchorage Inn”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Anchorage Inn”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family has been staying at the Anchorage for years but my last experience was absolutely horrible and I will never again stay there. I booked my stay during the off season so the town was very quiet. Little did I realize when I entered my room, that the entire hotel was under construction and should not have even been open. The room smelt terrible, the doors were taped shut, and there was plywood on some doors. When I filed a complaint, they told me there was no refund and they would move me to another room in the same building. Due to the smoke smell, I did not want to switch to a different room. They would not let me get a refund (even though I had no prior knowledge of the building condition) and when I tried disputing my room with my credit card company, they refused. Their accommodations were horrendous and the management is absolutely not customer friendly. I will never stay at this hotel again and I strongly advise against rethinking this place.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Allyson L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This motel is an average motel on the inside of the rooms-standard fare, small bathroom but clean. There are two indoor pools which was a lifesaver because we were there when it was too cold for the outdoor pool to be open. The outdoor pool looked like it would be a lot of fun for kids too with a slide. The real bonus to this motel is it's location on the beach. It is RIGHT across the street from long sands. There is even the Surf and Turf restaurant across the street on the ocean and they also have an ice cream parlor attached. In the lobby of the motel, there is a mini cafe you can order breakfast and coffee as well as lunch. It also serves as a bar with beer, wine, and liquor. It was a great overnight getaway with the kids and we really enjoyed walking on the beach.

Room Tip: We a room on the 3rd floor that faced the ocean for a better view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2013

So me and my family get to the hotel, first time on a friends reccomendation. The location is close to perfect, the rooms in the rear building are clean and decent and the pool options great, the pool snackbar was fair but the worse thing was the pool guy/investigator/intimidator. Within 2 hours this guy asked us three times if we had pool passes while at the pool of which 2 times was within a 10 minute period. Seriously? I felt great going to the room but quite intimidated outside of it. I never went back to the pool.This guy was at every corner I turned. I can understand the intruder prevention policy but at the cost of discomforting your paying guests? It appeared targeted. Never again.

• Stayed June 2013
9 Thank Richard354
Slingerlands
Reviewed May 28, 2013

"Peace of mind and Sanctuary by loud water's flow".... OK I know Tolkien was talking about Rivendell but if he had been with us this weekend he would have said the same thing about the Anchorage Inn.
Dear Patti, Mona, and staff,
You are to be congratulated again for a wonderful job.
From the first moment my husband and I arrived we were made to feel like family. Smiles and hellos all around from the front desk staff. The 3rd floor room was amazing...cool blues and sea foam greens with sparking whites that made us feel so calm. The view from our room was breathtaking even in the rain. A fire place and a whirlpool made the trip a second honeymoon for us.. even though we've been married 26 years this year. Maine is a place for families and peace and quiet. I saw from our room windows couples holding hands and walking on the beach, children playing on the rocks and searching for shells. Please don't come to the Anchorage looking for Disneyworld... its better!!!! Come here to reacquaint with family and let the power of the ocean calm all your anxieties. Patti and her staff will make sure you are well taken care of. Oh and by the way I am not being paid to write this or am I related to anyone at the Inn. I feel strongly that when someone goes out of their way to please they should be recognized. Thank you all for a wonderful weekend, Mary Beth Amato

Room Tip: All the room are lovely... but for a special treat choose a 3rd floor spa room.. it was amazing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Beth A
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Spent a weekend before the actual season starts. Everything was in very good order and location is very covenient for visiting assorted southern Maine destinations and having the beach right across the street. There is a small cafe on the property and a some restaurant options within walking distance. Did not have time to try any of the pools, which looked inviting.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Anchorage Inn for our anniversary. We were in the Atrium building because we needed a handicapped accessable room. The season had not yet started but there were signs that they were getting ready for the season. All the rooms on the other side of the building were being cleaned and then aired out. Nice to know that they put in the extra time to make sure everything is extra clean at the beginning of the season. The first night there we were the only people in the Atrium building. The room was fine but a bit small, however for the location the price was definatley right. The one bad part was that the bed was too high for my husband, who's in a wheelchair, to get into by himself. This is one issue that we have been running into from time to time at different hotels. I'm pretty lucky, my husband can stand and take a step or two but none of that really matters too much when the bed is too high. I then have to grab hold of him and pull him into the bed.
Other than that the room was fine. The bathroom was definatley large enough to accomadate the wheelchair the shower was a tub shower, which is fine but there was no shower chair provided. My husband decided not to shower while we were there so I didn't even ask if the hotel had one. The shower setup was fine for me and the bathroom overall was nice and clean. There was plenty of soap and towels provided.
One puzzeling thing about the room. They provided a small refrigerator but no coffee machine. I personally would prefer to have a coffee machine and either pay a few dollars more for the refrigerator or not have one. There was no microwave provided either so what was the point of having the refrigerator?
The front desk personel were all very friendly and helpful. We asked about places to eat and things to do on our full day in the area. They made phonecalls for us to see if some places were open. I found that very accomadating and helpful.
Overall I would stay here again but probably only during the offseason. The price of the rooms get too expensive during the season for what you get.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We visited Wednesday and Thursday night the last week of April. Be aware that there are several hotels in the ME / NH coastal area with "Anchorage" in their names. I thought I was calling the Anchorage in Ogunquit. The reservation person informed me of my mistake but I booked anyway - an advertised special, two mid-week nights with a lobster dinner for two - price $159.00, not including taxes. This large motel is directly across a busy road from the spectacular Long Sands Beach. There are several 3- 4 story buildings with various types of rooms with parking in front of each. Long open balconies run along the front. First floor rooms have no view because of the parking lot. A separate building houses the office, a computer for patron's use, ice machine and vending machines and a small coffee set-up, a cash bar and an indoor pool and hot tub. There is a restaurant directly across the road associated with the motel but it was open on Saturday and Sunday only. Instead of a lobster dinner there, we were given a voucher $60.00 at one of two nearby restaurants, the Barn or the Lobster Cove. Overall, we were satisfied with our quiet season stay. The location was wonderful for beach walks; the area good for sight seeing. The second and third floor rooms in the front building have good views. The rooms are clean if a bit worn and have cable t.v. and a refrigerator. However, the standard room was very small and suitable only for two people on a short stay. There was no coffee or tea maker in the room and no complimentary breakfast was served. Instead, you could buy coffee and a few baked items near the office. The bathroom and shower in the standard room was very tight. The staff was friendly enough but not informative about the hotel amenities or the area. We didn't use the pool, but other families seemed to be enjoying it. The large suite next to our room had a whirlpool which caused our bed to shake when it was in use. I would consider staying again on a package in the off season. I would probably not stay when the hotel was busy, since the lack of privacy and noise level would be a problem.

Room Tip: Best views from higher floors in the central building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
York Harbor Inn
#1 of 4 in York Harbor
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!