“Thin Walls, Uncomfortable Night's Sleep”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
New Hampshire
“Thin Walls, Uncomfortable Night's Sleep”
Reviewed March 23, 2008

My husband and I just returned from an one night stay at the Anchorage. What was important for us was the ocean view. The front desk staff was curteous upon check in. The issues we had were with the room. The walls were paper thin and we could hear every move that others made to the sides and above us. We were both woken up in the middle of the night multiple times to tvs and voices talking, which sounded as if they were in our room with us. We could hear everything around us which made for little privacy and it was difficult for us to relax. The bed was very uncomfortable- old and hard. We mine as well have slept on the floor. As a positive, the room seemed adequatly clean and we did enjoy having the mini refridgerator. But, due to a lack of sleep we will not be returning to the Anchorage Inn.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise and uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ABLT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Kingston, NH
Reviewed March 15, 2008

We have stayed at the Anchorage off and on for about 13 yrs. The last two times, however, we have left a day early because the mattresses are the most uncomfortable you have ever slept. When we entered our room, the heat was blasting. It read 85 on the thermostat and took hours with the heat shut off and the door partially open to cool down to a comfortable level. The real problem was the bed, again! The mattress was higher on both ends than the middle. No matter how we tried, neither my husband or I could find a comfortable spot. One sleepless night was enough! We left the next day early. We did have a nice time at the pool and hot tub but we were just not inclined to put in another sleepless night. Also, the sheets were so rough I ended up with rashes on both arms. Apparently they are spending for luxury suites but I think investing on better mattresses would be money well spent. Sadly, we will not return to the Anchorage in York.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank mcckingston

Travelers are raving about these York Beach hotels

Manchester, NH
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Our original reservation was for a two night stay that included dinner one evening. I was informed about their "Valentines Package" in subsequent emails. For an additional $40.00 they would include a box of chocolates and a bottle of Champagne.

When we arrived the temperature in our room was 75 degrees and the heat was off. We tried to open the window but it was stuck shut. We had to unlock and open to door to the balcony to let the heat out. Once we unlocked the door it wouldn't lock again.

The "Valentine Package" that was supposed to consist of a "Box of chocolates and a bottle of Champagne" turned out to be a handful of melted chocolate balls (all the save flavor) and a small bottle of cheap sparkling wine.

We walked over to the restaurant for dinner only to find out that we needed a voucher from the front desk. We were supposed to get this when we checked in. I had to walk back to the hotel and wait in line while other guests checked in to get my voucher and then walk back to the restaurant and wait in line again to be seated. While talking with other guests we discovered we weren't the only people this happened to.

After dinner we went back to the room, changed into something a little more comfortable and tried to settle in for a quiet evening. That's when we found out that the TV remote and toilet were broken. We had to lift the top off the toilet tank to flush it.

All the rooms on the first floor of our building opened onto the pool. Many of the rooms were left open and people were going from room to room, walking around drinking and partying while their children ran wild in and around the pool.

On our last morning there I had to take a cold shower because there wasn't any hot water. The perfect ending to a terrible weekend. If you're looking for a place to party and don't care about comfort this is the place to do it.

I informed the hotel about all the problems with the room and expressed my dissatisfaction with the "Valentine Package". I told them it wasn't as advertised and left it in the room but they still charged us for it.

When you're happy with something it's very easy to go online and write a nice review but when you're unhappy you just want to forget the whole experience. It almost wasn't worth my time to write this review and I think they count on that. How many other people have had similar experiences and never said anything. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank abc123Manchester_NH
leominster ma
Reviewed January 8, 2008

my great nephews and i enjoyed our stay. the staff was wonderful from the minute i got there till i left i left. the housekeeping staff helped us to our room and pushed the luggage up. the three people at the front desk were super also. i had to call 3 times and were very helpful. the new years eve party was great for the kids. keep up the good work nancy leominster ma to the owners please give us coffee pot in the room

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank heidi084
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed October 21, 2007

Place is a dive - way below average. outdated and dirty rooms. walls has holes in them, bathroom that smelled and had mildew and mold. Only positive was the view from the hallway/balcony.

First night, because parking lot was overfilled - had to parked on grass in front of hotel - was told by robo cop parking enforcement to move my car to the back parking lot, eventhough it was pooring rain. Ordinarily, I would complain at such a request - but i think its funny - if they took as much pride in the cleanliness and care of the rooms as they did their precious grass - it might be a decent place to stay. Good news, I only ended up with one rash on my arm! Dont stay here, its truly nasty!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
49 Thank mekas
Modesto, CA
Reviewed October 15, 2007

There is no coffee maker nor microwave in the room, but the location made up for it. We visited at an off-peak time so plenty of parking and no wild drinking parties like some previous ratings I've read. Mostly us and a bunch of retirees.

Rooms were small, but I am accustomed to this as it reminds me of summer cottage rentals I used to get in CT. No elevators,
no room service, just simple quaint reservations oceanside.

Front desk staff was always polite to me when I went down or called the front desk. Walls are paper thin so no wild love-making unless you want an audience.

We enjoyed this place and will stay here again if we re-visit Maine in the near future.

• Liked — Great ocean view, 2 minute walk to beach.
  • Disliked — No elevators to upper floors, not elderly or handicap friendly
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NWPS210
Flat Rock, Michigan
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My husband and I spent Labor Day weekend at the Anchorage. We had been looking forward to it for a long time and we were not disappointed at all. This was the 10th time we have stayed there and there are so many reasons to be a loyal customer. Rooms are comfortable, clean and face the ocean. We can walk on the beach without having to fight traffic or find a place to park and there are a few nice restaurants within walking distance. The restaurant directly across the street from the hotel is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everyone at the hotel is friendly and helpful and really care that you have a good time. Pools are clean and while loaded with kids, it is still a great place to sit and read and have lunch!
Fun things for kids to do in the area and great shopping and beautiful scenery everywhere you look.
I love Maine and the Anchorage!!

• Liked — location, location, location!
  • Disliked — no elevator, having to climb stairs with luggage
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Long Beach Motor Inn
Long Beach Motor Inn
#7 of 9 in York Beach
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!