“Weekend getaway”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on 11/2 and 11/3/12. Check in was easy and the staff friendly. The room was clean but small. It could have been because it had a king bed. This venue should be update soon it is getting old. We did not spend much time in the room so it didn't matter. We had an ocean view which was great. Nice little deck to sit on. Small but big enough for 2. Nice indoor pool that ran the length of the building. We had a weekend special that included dinner for 2 at the restaurant across the street. We had what amounted to a $70 dinner. The staff at the restaurant was fast and professional. The food was great. We had scallops and a seafood stir fry. The entire meal was 3 course and you could have anything on the menu except the stuffed lobster. We went back the next night and paid for our meal which was just as good as the previous nights meal. I would stay here again because on it's proximity to the beach and it was clean. There are 3 buildings. One is a brand new one which has suites. The price is a lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for the atrium and the ocean view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hi Edward T,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us.

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our off season getaway package that included the dinner for two at Sun'n Surf. It is great to hear how good the food was!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was my third stay at the Anchorage. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a king room. We hadn't been here in two years and the room had been updated. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom is very small but the rooms are comfortable and very clean. Right across the street from the beach. We have stayed here three times, for fall trips to the beach. Very close to the outlets. Desk staff are very friendly. We disuse the indoor pool and the woman who was working in the bar/kitchen area was extremely friendly.

Room Tip: No elevator so choose your floor carefully. We were there overnight and like the 3rd floor for the v...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Farrell105,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback of your recent stay.

We are thrilled to hear that you found the rooms comfortable and clean and our staff to be friendly! I will share your feedback about Maxine, our cafe associate, with our team. Thank you again for choosing the Anchorage!

Hope to see you again soon -

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My number one reason for going to the seaside is the ocean. Our room had a beautiful view and I could hear the surf - that is totally relaxing for me. The beds and furnishings were very comfortable and of very good quality. The room has a mini fridge - would love to have a coffee pot or a microwave, but we did fine without them this trip. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are very clean. The fitness room has basic equipment so you can stay on track if you work out on a regular basis like I do. But I walked the beach so much that I only used the gym one of the 3 days we were there. I would return and highly recommend it.

Previous reviewers talked about noise. We were there in Oct, lots of leaf peepers, yes, we could hear a little noise though the walls, but nothing worse than any place we have ever stayed, and no noise at night to wake us up. In the peak of summer that might be different but the hotel was pretty full when we were there.

The WIFI is great, we were able to watch Netflix on our laptop, strong signal even with a very full hotel.

My husband and I enjoyed our stay and we would return.

Room Tip: Some recommend the third floor oceanfront. No elevators, we were fine on the 2nd floor, I wouldn'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Aslan50mac -

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us.

We are so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the sound of the ocean while you stayed with us! We appreciate the feedback on the 2nd floor view vs. the 3rd floor and were glad to hear that you enjoyed the 2nd floor!

We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Anchorage is located right across the street from a beautiful beach. There are good views even from the first floor. The rooms are very clean and have good free wifi. The beds are comfortable and there are plenty of towels provided. The service is friendly and the location is perfect for anything you want to do in the York/Ogunquit/Wells area. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Hi DuffyNC -

Thank you so much for taking a moment to write a review of your stay.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy your trip to the Anchorage & Long Sands Beach! I will share your service feedback with our staff - we sincerely appreciate it! We look forward to seeing you again the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

After checking out this beachside hotel I expected better. Being off season I thought the $130 for the standard queen room was on the high side (but it was the beach, so OK). Also no room or lobby coffee/room coffee maker. If you want a quick coffee before the rest of your group gets up you have to buy it in the little shop by the office. Our whole hotel room was very small and very well worn. On the first floor our door was less that 10 feet from the headlights of cars in the parking lot. This also made the after-wedding party in the parking lot very noisy. Also whatever chemicals they used in the bathroom were so strong we had to leave the front door open (chain latch on) to get fresh air. Luckily this was only an overnight stay on a trip up the coast. The rest of the trip was fantastic.

Room Tip: If you stay here don't get the standard room, or at least ask for the second floor.
2  Thank Capn_C
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Hi Capn_C -

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you found the cleaning supplies that we used to be too strong for your liking. We use standard Comet, much like you can find in any grocery store.

As far as rates are concerned, we do our best to be as competitive as possible with our rates anytime of year. I am sorry that you felt it was on the high side. In comparing to other properties around town, I believe we are right in the middle of most other properties in town.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the standard rooms on the first floor. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope that you were able to enjoy Long Sands Beach!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have been staying at the Anchorage for two years and we really like it. We find the hotel clean, beachy, but clean. It has all the things you could ask for in a family-friendly resort, without the cost of a luxury beachfront resort. While I agree it is expensive, it is alot less than staying at the other beachfront resorts in Maine and you get two (large) indoor pools, one indoor hot tub, and outdoor pool, a small splah pad, a kiddie pool, and an outside hot tub. And not to mention the beach! It's also the same price as all the other hotels in York Beach, which don't come with 3 pools. While I will continue to go to the Anchorage, it would be nice if the staff made me feel a little more special while staying there considering the money I have spent there. Maybe some sort of program for regulars like 1 night free for every 12 night stays...or even just free coffee (!). A little something to make me feel better about spending so much money The Anchorage.

Room Tip: Main building rooms have ocean views, shared balconies, and small bathrooms, but are worth the money...
1  Thank kayakando
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Hi kayakando,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with us. Thank you for being a return guest - and I apologize that you did not feel special! Please let myself or our front desk supervisor know the next time you plan to stay - we would love to meet you face to face!

I will share your feedback about a program for regulars with our management team - I appreciate your suggestion.

Thank you again for choosing the Anchorage - we hope to see you again soon & meet you in the future!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Have stayed there for many years but only becasue of loyalty.... But rooms are small for the price, its loud and smokers everywhere... Staff is only interested in making sure your credit card information is correct as opposed to make you feel like a valued customer...My advice is to drive right by hotel and look toward the ocean as opposed to trying to help them pay for the luxury suites that were built during the greatest recession of our life time... Pools are crowded and parking is hard to find... Rooms are also dirty and often smell of damp dirty laundry... save your money and treat yourself to a different hotel with heart and modern amenities!!!

5  Thank Jay201233776

Hi Jay201233776,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us in October.

I am sorry that did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. I am surprised to read your comments, most especially with regards to smokers. We have a strict no-smoking policy on all of our balconies and in all rooms that all of our guests sign at check-in. I do hope that you let the front desk know if there was an issue with this.

I personally apologize that you did not enjoy your time with us in October and felt that the stay did not have any heart. I do hope that you were able to enjoy Long Sands Beach and all that York has to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near York Beach
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick
1 mi away
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!