“No Guest/Customer Service”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We needed a place to stay for my childs soccer tournament over a three day holiday weekend. First they require a two night minimum. We found out seven days out (unfortunately not ten) that my husband will have to work the second night of my stay thus leaving me in a bind with my other child. I called to ask if they could do anything for me - switch nights, drop one night, rebook their room for the night in question and then cancel my res. for that night. Their answer was no - not willing to do anything to try to help their guests - they said they must hold me to their cancellation policy - prior to ten days or lose your $. Even after she said they've had to turn people away. So I either lose money driving 1 hour home and back or lose my money to them. They have no customer/guest service. I was there last year and found the service at the hotel lacking, the accomodations more suited for $80/night hotel not $150 and up, the sleep quality was poor- could hear traffic and people in neighboring rooms and our double room was cramped with 1 adult and 3 kids. The best feature was the pool but one of the indoor pools was cloudy and slimy looking, the outdoor pool is only good if it's nice out, and the other indoor pool is very small. Now I will never stay there again and I will certainly not recommend it to anyone I know.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank J C
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Hi JC -

Thank you for your feedback on your stay last year and your situation this year.

As a hotel in this area, we do have certain weekends that have minimum stays - you are 100% correct. They are typically during the summer season and holiday weekends. I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the cancellation policy and your need to change your stay.

I am sorry to hear that you found the service lacking when you stayed last year. I am not sure, based on your review, if you mentioned any of your concerns to the front desk or to a manager. We do have staff on site 24/7 that are always happy to assist if you have a concern.

I can tell you that the indoor pool in the Atrium Building is roughly 100ft long. It is a lap pool, designed in the shape of a barbell (or dog bone, as some guests have called it) :). The Main Indoor pool, located in the office building, is about 20 ft wide & 30 ft long. I am not sure which pool you found to be very small - both are fairly standard in size for properties of our size.

Thank you again for providing feedback on your stay last year and your reservation this year.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Anchorage Inn is located on the beach in York Me. The facilaty is average but a little expensive. Indoor and outdoor pools are a hit with the kids. But the parking is a free for all with no designation as to your room and not enough spaces for the rooms out front. You must park to the rear of the main building and walk around either end as no rear entrace to building.

The cafe are in lobby has breakfast items such as pastry and coffee and they do sell beer and drinks but way overpriced.

The cost for two ajoining rooms for two nights was just shy of $1000.oo. In my estimation too high for this facility.

Room Tip: Second level but no elevators..
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank dwm511
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Hi dwm511,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. We appreciate you choosing the Anchorage on your trip to York Beach.

We completely agree with you that there are no designated parking spaces throughout the property. We do have limited spaces in the front of the property with a much larger parking lot behind the Main Building. We have chosen to keep the large green space in the front of the property as it is frequently enjoyed by families playing catch or flying kites, rather then enlarge the parking.

We are sorry to hear that you felt the drinks and beer along with the rooms were overpriced. For those who are budget conscious, we highly recommend traveling in either the spring or fall when the rates are lower as it is no peak season. We do understand that not everyone has the flexibility to travel during that time and do our best to keep our peak season rates as competitive with the area as possible.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We do hope that you were able to enjoy Long Sands beach when you were here this past summer!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and someone booked the wrong hotel for us. I called the Anchorage inn to talk and ask them what we could do to change it. They were extremely rude, and their reception staff was horrible! I would never recommend this hotel to anyone because of the staff!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank erika r
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Hi Erika R.,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us.

After reviewing the notes on your reservation, it does appear that the reservation was made by someone else for you. We sent a confirmation to the contact information on file and that explained our cancellation policy as was also explained to the person who made the reservation for you. We do require 10 days notice for cancellation & a refund, as our staff stated to you when you called to cancel on your day of arrival.

I am sorry to hear that you found our staff was horrible. We do hope that you were able to enjoy your time in Maine & all that the area has to offer.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

September what a beautiful time of year to spend some time at York beach in Maine and of course their is no other place so stay is the Anchorage Inn on Long Sands. I have been going here for years and their is no other place in York I would stay. Why would I when I am treated like a princess the minute I walk thru the door till I depart . Patty, Mona, Ron and the entire staff of the Anchorage Inn once again you made by stay perfect. You all go above and beyond to make sure all needs are meet. It so awesome to walk in and be greeted by the friendlist staff smiles joking around a little something to take of the stress of the drive in. Everyone in life needs a little laugh and a sense of humor which you will find here. Great view of ocean, clean rooms, and most of all People who care that you will have a wonderful vacation time at their spot. Thanks again for all that you do for me. Your favorite customer !!!!

Room Tip: You cant go wrong it right across from the ocean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Hi Kathy C -

I apologize upfront if you are getting this response multiple times - we've submitted it several times to tripadvisor without it being posted!

Thank you again for staying with us this September. It was, as always, a delight to see you! We thoroughly enjoy your sense of humor and being able to "get" Ron :) We look forward to seeing you again soon -

With lots of laughter -

Ron, Mona, Patti, and the gang

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I really enjoyed this Inn. We were traveling with a three year old and a three month old. The inn has a perfect location on York Beach. It was just a walk across the road for playing on the beach and having supper. The room in the Annex was perfect - a nice size, quiet, with a nice (but limited) view of the water. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Hi Greenable,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Atrium building and our location. We are so glad that your family enjoyed it!

We look forward to seeing you again the future!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our first family vacation with a newborn and the Anchorage was the perfect place. Location, location, location!
Pros: we stayed in the main building, facing the ocean with a beautiful view of the Nubble, sunsets and sunrise! We were on the second floor.
Rooms were very clean if a bit outdated.
Maintenance came immediately when we had a minor problem.
Check in/check out were so easy and everyone so pleasant!
Pool area was clean, very kid friendly and not crowded
The beach is a stone's throw from the room.
Cons: parking is a bit tight although there is ample space out back; rooms on the ground floor did not get cleaned until quite late.
OVERALL: a reasonably priced place; clean, friendly and we will definitely return.
HINT: ask for an ocean front room; be aware that the main building does not have an elevator and the stairs are steep. We did look @ the new addition and when I win that scratch ticket, that is where we will stay :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Hi Jan M,

Thank you for taking a moment to give us feedback on your stay.

We are so glad that your family enjoyed your time with us & found it to be kid friendly. I will share your feedback with our housekeeping team with regards to cleanliness and that your rooms were cleaned a bit late in the day. When you stay again, please just let us know that you would like to have your room done earlier - the team will do their best to accommodate you!

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us - we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have been coming up to York for years. We have stayed at a number of places but this is the first time at the Anchorage. The view there is amazing; Long Sands, Nubble Light, etc. It is close to a couple restaurants and to the beach. We stayed in the main building at The Anchorage which pretty standard and a bit dated but it does the trick and the price is right.
They could use more housekeeping staff. Each day our room did not get done til after 3pm.
Parking was not ideal. The spaces are limited and the spaces are pretty tight. The pool area was great for adults and for kids very kid friendly place.
Despite these very small things, we would stay again for sure.
We also looked at the annex, which was beautiful. Spa tub, glass shower, private balconies most sleep 6 and have kitchenettes and a bar, as well as private parking and pool/hot tub. The rooms also come with continental breakfast.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shelly31178

Hi Shelly31178,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback on the housekeeping cleaning your room after 3pm. They do tend to work on those rooms that are arrivals first - however if you let us know when you are here, they will do your best to accommodate you to get to your room earlier in the day. Just let us know :)

We are so glad that you enjoyed seeing the Ocean Suites. Those rooms do have continental breakfast included each morning of your stay, along with the private balconies, suite kitchens (no stoves), fireplaces, and can sleep up to 6 people (2 Queen beds & 1 pullout sofa).

It is wonderful to hear that your family has enjoyed York for many years. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near York Beach
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
Cliff House Maine
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!