“Off-season Getaway”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
“Off-season Getaway”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed in the main building 2 nights with the package deal the Anchorage offers with an included dinner. Very satisfied with the room- everything was clean, and the view of the ocean from the balcony was nice. There is a parking lot and a couple buildings in between you and the ocean, but from the 2nd or 3rd floors it's easy to overlook that issue. Staying Sat and Sun nights was a good move, as we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves once most rooms checked out on Sunday morning. We weren't thrilled with the included dinner at the Sand and Surf restaurant; mediocre food and there was an odd, musty smell in the restaurant dining room that was off-putting. In general though, it was a pleasant place to stay. For a quick road trip, drive north up 1A to Shore Rd. leading into Ogunquit- it takes a little longer but the views are beautiful!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Hi TC2travels,

Thank you so much for taking a moment to give feedback on your stay at the Anchorage. We definitely agree that staying Saturday & Sunday nights are a great idea - it tends to be quieter on Sunday nights compared to Friday nights! The ride up Route 1A and along Shore Road is a local favorites - there is even a small beach along the way!

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your dinner at the restaurant that was included with your package. I do hope that you expressed your concerns while you were there. I will certainly make a note of your feedback and ensure their management team receives it.

Thank you for visiting York in the off season - we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here and hope to see you again in the future!

Patti D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Chaumont, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Very clean and effecient check in. It was Prime Time so I didn't expect a steep discount or a discount at all.

Because my wife and I travel enought, we took one of thier "Suites?" or top graded roooms. While the room was spotless, I have paid 400 per night before and this was the lowest on the end of the 400 spectrum I have seen.

The bathroom was large and spacious, wirlpool tub that was fun and a deck that at 400, I would have liked a spot on ocean view. This one was kind of angled.

On the last day our commode overflowed and was taken care of promptly

Pro's = location, staff and a private parking for the upgraded rooms as well as a heated wirlpool and private pool. There was also a wine cheeded every night for the upgraded rooms, but can't comment on that because we did not use it. Fun animal farm for the kids and of course the Goldenrod taffy store where they make salt water taffy in plan view...................and it smells great.

Cons - Maine is an old coast and so all utility wires are above ground that you have to look at while you try to enjoy the ocean view. If arriving late at night as we did, finding even a pizza place was hard as it was a weekday. Ended going to Hannafords for dinner supplies.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Chuck13601,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay in October. We always appreciate hearing from our guests!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Ocean Suites! It is unfortunate that while you were hear that there wasn't a dining option that was available given the late hour. Sadly, most of the dining options in York that time of year tend to close around 9pm. I am sorry that more options were not available to you.

I will definitely share the feedback with our staff regarding their prompt response to your maintenance issue.

Thank you again for choosing to visit York! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Ludlow, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I've been to the Anchorage Inn in York several times and I must say for the money it's a great deal. You can't beat the two night getaway that includes dinner at their restaurant across the street the "Sand and Surf". It's not a high end hotel but your also not paying high end prices. The view was great, the room was clean and the dinner was delicious. The hotel could use a little updating but it looks like their working on that. I noticed several rooms were completely gutted and preparing for a makeover. We will certainly be visiting again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor in the main building, very quiet and a nice view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristen C
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived on Friday 2/17. Upon check-in we were asked by the male desk clerk how the ride up was. When my boyfriend replied it was fine and there was no traffic the desk clerk's reply was it couldn't have gone that well she's still with you and pointed to me. We were speechless! I actually think the young girl at the desk was very embarassed. She started making small talk with me about the weather. More inappropriate comments followed before we finally were given the key to our 3rd floor room. When I asked if there was an elevator to the 3rd floor, his response was to raise his arm in the air, snap his fingers and yell "BOY, BOY". At this point a young man came running from a back office to help us with our bags. I felt bad for this young man to have to put up with this kind of treatment on the job.

This hotel does not include anything but a below average room! Not even a comlementary cup of coffee is included! I now understand why they require payment up front as we never would have stayed the second night if we had't already paid for it. We would NEVER return to this hotel and the experience was so bad it has prompted me to write this review which is the first review I have felt the need to write. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank mbm1128
Hi mbm1128,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I apologize for my slow response to your review, but wanted to provide as much information as possible in my response.

I can assure you, at this point in time, that this individual has been addressed and that this type of behavior is not acceptable at the Inn. I do wish that you had mentioned something during your stay as I am always available when a guest has a concern or question.

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel our rooms were up to your standards. I can not tell if you mentioned anything or if other options were provided to you. We have many different room types and each guest has different preferences. While some guests prefer the Main Building due to the best ocean views, other prefer the Atrium Building due to the Indoor Pool in that building and the more traditional hotel style rooms with interior corridors. We always seek to satisfy our guests by offering different room types if the one that they reserved is not meeting their needs.

We do hope that the remainder of your stay went well and you were able to enjoy all that York has to offer.

Travelers are raving about these York Beach hotels

Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We enjoyed our winter weekend getaway to Maine. The Anchorage Inn is a nice hotel in a great location. The staff could not have been nicer; they were so helpful on check-in and recommending a great place to eat. I recommend staying in the Atrium building; it is a newer building with an indoor pool. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ragzz
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 10, 2012

The title says it all! The swimming pools were filthy as well. No maintenance help available after 4:00 PM or on Sunday. Our advice: go somewhere else....plenty of other nice hotels to stay in around the area

Room Tip: none of the rooms are quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Kevin F
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Hi Kevin F,

I apologize for the slow response to your posting as I've spent a considerable amount of time researching your review.

I personally sent you a message through tripadvisor to try to get more information about your stay. I haven't gotten a response from you.

We take comments on this issue very seriously and investigate each individually. We complete annual inspections and utilize an outside pest control company to complete these inspections using the highest form of detection - service animals to sniff out such pests. Looking at your review, it appears that you stayed with us in September. We had inspections occur (quarterly and annual) by these service animals both in the spring and summer months to ensure there were not any of these issues. I can tell you with great pride that no traces of such pests were found.

Annual training also occurs annually with all of our staff on pests and specifically on bed bugs. We take a very proactive approach in dealing with this issue. We apologize for your discomfort, but can not take responsibility for this issue. We pride ourselves on offering a safe, clean environment for all our guests.

You also noted in your review that maintenance staff were not available after 4pm. I find this a bit puzzling as during September our maintenance staff is here on Sunday evenings until 10pm and on call after that. If you could provide more information regarding this I would sincerely appreciate it. We always strive to meet our guests needs and have the staff available to do so.

Medford, ma
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Once again we stayed at the Anchorage. We love to stay here when we go to Maine so were pleased to get an email about the New Year's Eve package, which we booked and extended to 2 nights. Price was right and we enjoyed ourselves for the most part. We were in the Atrium building and I read the 3 negative reviews written about New Year's (I'm sure from the same group) but we didn't run into anything like that. I've downgraded the star rating this time for a couple of things, and they may be nit-picking but we love this place and thought we should mention them. We had a lovely 2nd floor room and the view is always nice, but this room was smaller than others we've stayed in. The bathroom cabinet under the sink was partially unpainted on the side. Imagine our surprise when at 10:15 on Sunday morning, there was a slip on our door saying that housekeeping couldn't do our room because of our "Do Not Disturb" sign and we should call the desk for fresh towels. 10:15 is WAY too early for them to say they're not cleaning the room. On the plus side - we called the front desk and, as always, they were very responsive. Someone was in the building within 5 minutes looking for our housekeeper and, yes, the room was totally cleaned. The New Year's package included dinner at the Sun 'n Surf Restaurant. The food was good but they didn't have several kinds of fairly common liquors and they had run out of several dinners and a dessert when we got there at 8:30. Seems like that could have been organized a bit better. We did swim in the Atrium pool but it was COLD - no way it's 81 degrees! Again, though, it was clean and well kept. All in all, we still love this place and it will remain our "go to" stay in Maine but it wasn't terrific this time. BTW - there still are no coffee makers :(

Room Tip: We prefer the Atrium building - not directly on the ocean but one side does have ocean views and you...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank reddalmation2003
Hi reddalmation2003,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay on New Year's Eve. I appreciate you bringing the small details to our attention - they will certainly be addressed and taken care of.

In looking at your reservation, it appears that you were in the very front room of the Atrium Building. This room may be slightly smaller then others - but some prefer it because, being in the very front of the building, it has the best ocean view for that building. In the future, if you prefer a different room, please just let the individual making your reservation know. They are happy to try to find the best room for your stay.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near York Beach
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!