“My gf & I loved this place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Modesto, CA
“My gf & I loved this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

There is no coffee maker nor microwave in the room, but the location made up for it. We visited at an off-peak time so plenty of parking and no wild drinking parties like some previous ratings I've read. Mostly us and a bunch of retirees.

Rooms were small, but I am accustomed to this as it reminds me of summer cottage rentals I used to get in CT. No elevators,
no room service, just simple quaint reservations oceanside.

Front desk staff was always polite to me when I went down or called the front desk. Walls are paper thin so no wild love-making unless you want an audience.

We enjoyed this place and will stay here again if we re-visit Maine in the near future.

• Liked — Great ocean view, 2 minute walk to beach.
  • Disliked — No elevators to upper floors, not elderly or handicap friendly
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NWPS210

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Flat Rock, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2007

My husband and I spent Labor Day weekend at the Anchorage. We had been looking forward to it for a long time and we were not disappointed at all. This was the 10th time we have stayed there and there are so many reasons to be a loyal customer. Rooms are comfortable, clean and face the ocean. We can walk on the beach without having to fight traffic or find a place to park and there are a few nice restaurants within walking distance. The restaurant directly across the street from the hotel is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everyone at the hotel is friendly and helpful and really care that you have a good time. Pools are clean and while loaded with kids, it is still a great place to sit and read and have lunch!
Fun things for kids to do in the area and great shopping and beautiful scenery everywhere you look.
I love Maine and the Anchorage!!

• Liked — location, location, location!
  • Disliked — no elevator, having to climb stairs with luggage
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marci52
Ware, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

My children and I travel a great deal. We do not have to have 5 star hotels but we do like nice hotels. This was not one of them. It is average at best but I would say overpriced and understaffed. There is no garden so if you book the garden view note that what you really get is the parking lot view (plantings around the foundation littered with underwear, beer bottles, trash, etc. is their idea of a garden). Keys did not work, remote did not work, tv did not work.

Bedding was insufficient (dirty bed pad covered by a sheet that did not cover all of the mattress was what my daughter was told was acceptable bedding by any standard).

Indoor pools dirty. Hot tub (brown and not from sand).Outdoor pool area well kept. No supervision at any pool. I don't just mean no lifeguard; I mean anything goes. LOTS of guests drinking to excess, no one monitoring children or adults.

At check-out I talked to the Manager and said I believed there were so many problems that I should be compensated in some way. She said it is their policy that they never compensate a guest, they make it right during their stay. I explained that I had called the front desk repeatedly and that nothing was corrected. I was then told that was my fault because I should have continued to follow up on everyone.

They have a poolside cafe that is good and the staff there was great. However, they closed whenever management felt like it. The busier they were the earlier they closed to force guests to their extremely overpriced restaurant across the street.

They have potential but do not live up to it. The housekeeping staff is great but they can only do with what they are provided.

Stayed August 2007
87 Thank KSHOWare_MA

Travelers are raving about these York Beach hotels

Dennis Port, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

. Date: August 13-15th
Dudley Ma

I booked at the Anchorage Inn and then read trip advisor: I wasn't sure what to expect.

Arrival:
The desk clerks: Were very unfair. I arrived early at 11 am to see if possibly my room would be ready. I was advised that most likely my room would not be ready until 3 but I could check back around 1pm. This is standard practice so I understood. They asked if I could pay for my room in the Atrium which I gladly did. I came back around 1pm, stood in line and the couple in front of me received their keys to their room in the atrium. When it was my turn I was told "sorry it would not be ready until 3" . First impression means everything.

The rooms were clean, but very outdated. The bathrooms were in need of some repairs, tile and paint.

Pools: were very over crowded, be careful of your children when sliding in the pool.

The poolside cafe: reasonably priced and convenient.

Overall - alot of money for poor service, and outdated rooms

• Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
62 Thank suejak
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

I used to stay at the Anchorage when I was growing up 20-25 years ago and it was a very nice place then. Now, the rooms are very dirty, we couldn't even walk on the floor because our feet turned black. The sliding screen door fell right out on to the balcony. The parking is terrible. Instead of having parking assigned, it is first come first serve, so what happens is that they start parking people for the beach in the lots and everything is full. When I went and asked the young girl at the desk where we should park she just laughed and said "It is first come first serve", then started laughing as I left the office. There were a few days where the floors were not vaccuumed. It got to the point where I had to leave a note for the chambermaid in order to get things done. This place is overpriced and filthy and I will never stay there again.

• Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
68 Thank mainelover05
lancaster, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

Anchorage Inn was pretty much what I expected from reading the reviews. The rooms were very small and the beds were hard, but the whole point of the place is the ocean view and the convenience of going to the beach. You can sit outside of your room and watch the ocean across the street. It was a little pricey, but they can charge it for the location. We found the staff to be very nice and friendly. My ten month old daughter needed her baby food warmed up and they didn't think twice about heating up those mushy peas for us. We did spend about $70- on dinner at the restaurant across the street one night. The restaurant is very expensive, but if you are sitting on the edge of the ocean, honestly what do you expect! If you want to enjoy some time by the sea, go to anchorage inn. If you want to sit in your room the whole time, don't go there. My husband and I only get to get away once in a while, so our expectations are not as high as others, I guess. I would definately recommend the Anchorage Inn.

• Liked — I liked the convenience and the view.
  • Disliked — The parking was tough sometimes.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
57 Thank courtneyjacobs
Wilmington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

I stay there every year around this time. It's clean, and quiet. The rooms are nice and cozy. The staff really is the nicest and most helpful. It's a very lovely place with a very lovely view. It's very close to the center of town.

• Liked — the cleanliness and helpful staff
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Cliff House Maine
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!