“Max relaxation at the Cutty Sark”
Review of Cutty Sark Motel

Cutty Sark Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Max relaxation at the Cutty Sark”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent a week at the Cutty Sark and it was wonderful. We never put the AC on because the evenings were cool and the sounds from the waves would put us to sleep with the anticipation of having a morning walk on the beach. The grass area was a pleasant surprise with the tables, chairs and lounges. Thank you for your attentive cleaning service. Before even coming back to our room after our morning walk our room was cleaned every day. We are already making our plans to return next summer (if not before :-)

Room Tip: the best views are from the top floors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dan W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I went there for a couple of nights. Staff was pleasant. The second night there was an added welcoming touch to the room decor: towels folded with swan shapes!
The room was large and bright with two large windows facing the sea. I believe we stayed on the corner room 39. Third floor rooms are quieter, we were told. The mattress was comfortably firm and linens and comforter were nice. The room and bathroom were impeccably clean. Some of the furniture was very tired, yet still comfortable. New carpets would be a wonderful feature...as the old building could use some updating.
As it was off season, it was very quiet.
There was no breakfast (not even the muffins people seem to have controversial opinions about) but we were told about this in advance.
I loved the location, and will explore the possibility of staying in one of the rooms in the newer building. I would consider returning.The views are indeed splendid!

Room Tip: Top floor, newer building?
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Moniquec1
Colorado
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just stayed here for 2 nights and it was wonderful. The oceanview from the room is fabulous. Left the windows open all night and listened to the waves crashing on the beach. Very relaxing. It is a VERY short walk to the staircase to get down to the beach for a walk. Rooms were quiet. Towels were never an issue and I thought they were very plush. The t.v. was a newer flat screen that was hung on the wall. I think we turned it on for all of 5 minutes to watch weather before leaving. The town is so nice to explore, why watch television?????

We didn't see the newer building, so nothing to compare the rooms to. If I had to find only one thing to change... time for new comforters for the bed. The ones they have now are a little outdated and really faded

Room Tip: Bug spray, definitely bring bug spray. We sat outside at the lawn furniture and bugs were getting a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Zodiak
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband, mother-in-law and I stayed here the last two nights, as we have done every July for several years. We choose it for the location, with the umbrella tables on the lawn overlooking Long Sands Beach. That feature is a must for my m-i-l, since she can no longer handle getting down to the beach. I would not choose Cutty Sark if it were located anywhere else, because the rooms are getting rather shabby, at least in the old building. It seems to me that things started going downhill somewhat a couple of years ago, perhaps due to cutting costs. The lawn is not as well maintained as in the past, although this year there were no bugs in the grass; last year they were a major annoyance. Last year the coffee and muffins were so bad that I went elsewhere for breakfast. Perhaps they went back to their old suppliers, as I noticed a good review of breakfast, but I did not try it this year.

We stayed in Room 39, third floor corner. Having windows on two sides was even better than the rooms we have had in the past. Going to sleep to the sea breeze and the sound of waves was wonderful! Every room has a stunning ocean view, and is so close it sounds like you are on the beach itself. The higher floors have better privacy. My only complaint about our room was the bathroom - most of the towels were threadbare, and the water pressure in the shower was very low. When we arrived, the bathroom light did not work, and that was fixed right away. I reported the low pressure when checking out, and was assured they would correct it.

We will probably keep going back, so next time we will try the new building, or one of the renovated rooms, and bring our own towels!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sarah S
Petersburg, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Eight of us stayed at this hotel. We had 3 rooms,one with two queens and the other two rooms had a single king. One of the queens I had slept in,was a lil hard on the back,but this is all I had to complain about with my stay at the Cutty Sark. The veiws are second to none!! They have a grassy area which is well maintained. They have comfortable chairs and lounge chairs with a glass table in front of your rooms.A free breakfest,which is freah coffee or tea and outstanding homemade muffins. All on a help yourself basis.The staff here is always kind and helpfull. You are over looking the Long Sands beach. To reach the beach is 200FT. The beach is real clean. From 1 to 10,I rate the Cutty Sark Motel a 8+.

Room Tip: Go for the big beds.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bullseyetm2016
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I love staying at the Cutty. Such wonderful people and you cannot beat the location. The proximity to the store and the beach are great. The rooms are clean and although they aren't the fanciest things around they are still clean and tidy. Highly recommend!!!
Coffee and large fresh muffins available in lobby in am. Staff is extremely helpful no matter what the request. Lovely family.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Legalbetty
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We have returned to the Cutty Sark many times. Every room looks onto the ocean crashing on the rocks. Open your windows and smell the sea air. We find the Cutty Sark very relaxing and it's walking distance to very good seafood restaurants. We will definitely return again.
On the morning of our departure we saw that we had a soft tire. The guy in the office was able to help us out. We had great, friendly service.

Room Tip: It's best to stay on the second or third floor for more privacy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach

Been to Cutty Sark Motel? Share your experiences!