“Fun amusement for the toddler set”

York's Wild Kingdom Zoo and Fun Park
More attraction details
Owner description: This amusement park and zoo has something for every member of the family, from a petting zoo and kiddie rides for the tots, to mini-golf and a Haunted House to thrill visitors of all ages.
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We went here en route to other attractions in Maine. Pros are the amusement park had about 15 rides all perfectly geared to the 2-4 year old soul. We were there in peak season on the weekend and never waited for a ride. We did trains, roller coaster, ladybug cars, a ferris wheel and a fun house, each 2-3 times. The staff working the rides were really sweet to the kids and took a lot of care taking the kids in and out of the rides. Cons are that there were long long lines for the few food&beverage offerings, so bring your own or eat before. The price seems very reasonable.

1  Thank sfbarb

Reviewed August 5, 2011

This old timey amusement park is heaven for families with children under 5. The amusement park offers kids an all access pass for $4.75 (2011), every game I played I was allowed to keep going till I won at least a small prize, I never been to an amusement park and had such a great time for under $20. I highly recommend it if your not looking for six flags type thrills. The zoo while not as cheap is also has it's strengths, particularly the area where you walk and feed deer.

2  Thank Blinzer
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I took a trip with my wife and my 8 year old gran daughter to York's Wild Kingdom and we were very pleased with our experience. The park has been around at least 50 years (not disclosing my age, but I went their as a kid). It has a lot of charm as it is situated next to the York Beach area which has a lot of small shops & restaurants. Their is an entrance on this side of the park. And if you choose to park their, there are metered spaces which will cost you.
However, if you enter off Route 1, the parking is free. I noticed about I think about 10 or 12 handicap marked spaces. Which the whole park is handicap accessible and seems to conform to ADA standards. Admission is quite reasonable. For a Zoo & Ride package for a child 4-12 is only $16.25. Adults are $21.25 for the same package. They give you a wrist band upon entrance to the park.
We first took in the zoo part which was very nice and very interactive. There are feeding stations at several locations within the park. There is not only a petting area but also the deer will walk up to you and let you pet them and the ducks will bug you for food (small children might get a little spoofed by this). They do clearly mark at each section what type of animal's your viewing and also has a small description of the animal's as well.
They also have live animal & elephant shows several hours during the day. Along with pony & elephant ride's. On the other side of the zoo are a few more animal's to look at, and then you come to the Butterfly Kingdom. An enclosed area where butterflies roam freely.
The amusement part of the park consist mostly of ride that you might find at a carnival or a fair. For the little ones (under 48") their is a fair amount of ride's to keep them content and happy. For over 48", the amount of rides are kinda limited but this doesn't mean that most kids up to tween's will probably enjoy them. The ride's are defiantly classic carnival type rides so, sorry, no mega type rides here. Part of the reason of why the price's are so reasonable.
Let me give you a little incite into York's Wild Kingdom. If your expecting this place to be similar to Six Flag's in Jackson, NJ or Busch Garden's in Williamsburg, VA, then this is not the place for you to take your family. However, if you like a laid back, simpler and enjoyable experience that won't cost you a small second mortgage, and you happen to be going to the York, Maine vicinity on a day trip or vacation, then this place should be considered a must stop.

4  Thank ridiningspy
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is a combined amusement park and zoo. There were many rides for our 2 and 4 year olds and they thoroughly enjoyed them all. By paying the admission price that included the rides, they were able to go on as many rides as they wanted - and even went on some a few times. In between the rides, we visited the zoo section which had a wide range of animals and was set up in a very appealing way. This was our 4 year old's favorite day during our week-long vacation in York!

3  Thank ncwise
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We took our children, ages 12, 12 and 15 to York's Wild Kingdom Zoo. We didn't do the rides, just the zoo, and it was really enjoyable! The price was certainly right - I'm used to very pricey zoos, and with admission you get to ride paddle boats for free and there is a cute little butterfly exhibit, the animals all look very healthy. There are usually two of each animal in the exhibits (male and female lions for example) and they aren't pacing back and forth like some zoos. The birds are really unusual and colorful, and we enjoyed going to feed the goats - there were some adorable baby goats there, and also feeding the deer was fun, they were walking around in the exhibit. We paid extra ($20) to ride the elephant but it was well worth it and a picture was included. We enjoyed this trip that was a couple of hours more than our annual visit to the bronx zoo!! I actually was impressed by the appearance of animals such as the zebra, lions, goats, etc... they were extremely healthy and clean looking. It was less crowded cause we got there at 10 am and the animals were more easily seen and more hands on activities. We never went the past three years we were in Maine cause we weren't sure how this place was, but honestly, I highly recommend this place! Clean and fun, with healthy animals.

5  Thank southpaw702