“Great place, near everything”

Best Western York Inn
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in York
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel is clean, convenient to York Beach, Kittery Outlets down the road, Hampton Beach 20 minutes away. Friendly staff. Good breakfast selection. Clean pool.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue H

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Usually Best Western hotels are reliable but this was an exception. the bathroom was smaller than a closet. Room was located the floor above the pool and smelled dank, like mold. The toilet scorched all night and then broke. When we called the desk to reprt the broken toilet, we were placed on hold for 8 minutes before I hung up. After breakfast I saw the desk clerk to report the broken toilet. Desk clerk seemed genuinely surprised to hear the news (although I had spoken with her specifically and hour before). She said, "Well I don't know what to say.". I said, someone should replace the broken part!

This hotel basically lacks the service orientation of the chain as a whole. Should we have to wait 30 minutes for free coffee at their breakfast??!

Location was ideal out of Boston -- we could get here quickly after Red Sox game... but I think I will try to stay at another hotel next time!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank cote_style
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed here often when the kids were little. It's a convenient stop for us. We did not experience the musty, stale smells others complained of, rather new carpet in the halls. It is in need of renovation but our room was clean, (with cheap sheets and lots of lamps trying to accommodate the inefficient layout) and value priced-- which is what we wanted for this trip.
The best part was the front desk staff. The evening girl was charming and helpful and the morning girl was friendly and efficient. Lovely ladies. We looked at breakfast and opted to dine elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I had booked on line for three nights at this Best Western for my son and me, because I have had very pleasant experiences with other Best Westerns. We noticed when we drove up to the enormous white building that there was only one car parked there, and were concerned that the motel was closed, but did see a light shining from inside the front entrance. The lobby was warm, the young girl behind the desk was welcoming and friendly, but as soon as we opened the door to the corridor leading to the room everything changed. There was no heat on in the hallway, and when we entered the room there was no heat turned on there either. The room was musty with a strong mildew smell and both of us immediately began to have breathing problems. As my son took our bags back out to the car, I went back to the desk to tell the clerk that we couldn't stay. She didn't seem to be at all surprised and remained friendly and professional. I can't speak to the cleanliness of the room or the bedding because we were in and out so quickly.
I won't try this Best Western again, nor can I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank agbens
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Normally we have always stayed here as it is convient and reasonable. It has gone downhill fast. The room was musty and dirty. Bedspread had a big iron burn in the middle and the sheets were old and stained. The bathroom was not the cleanest. The corners have never been cleaned. We used to like the breakfast there but there is very little there now. Time to find a new place when we visit.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bangorvet
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Um, find another spot, like the Microtel 200 yards away. Or go to kittery to one of the multiple spot there. JB

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I read all the reviews--with reviews ranging from some who sing its praises and some admonishing those who sing its praises. Well, having stayed in this dimly lit, moldy, depressing motel, i agree with those who slam this place. Just walk into the breakfast room and you are transported to a location akin to an institution--i couldn't sit there--it depressed me more and more by by the second. The whole place has a stale, moldy smell, with halls that are poorly lit and rooms that are so tired you want to run out screaming for fresh air and bright light. The staff was just fine--the hotel is what is lacking.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mickey91
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
#2 of 4 in Kittery
Sands by the Sea
Sands by the Sea
#5 of 9 in York Beach

Been to Best Western York Inn? Share your experiences!