“We'll try another inn next time to see if we do better!”

Best Western York Inn
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in York
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We booked this hotel through AAA without reading TRIP ADVISOR!
The evening receptionist was not very friendly.
When we entered the building to go to our room, there was a very musty smell in the corridor and the smell continued in the bedroom.
The carpet was soiled and some corners and walls were dirty.
Super tiny space for a bathtub and toilet behind a door. Never saw that layout before and hope I never do again. The room layout, in general, was poorly laid out!
I must say the bed was comfortable!!
The morning reception staff was much more pleasant and helpful.
The breakfast was a typical hot continental breakfast which was available in a comfortable room. The room was well cared for.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RETIREDTRAVELLER06

Reviewed September 23, 2011

I bid on this room from Priceline and paid much more then others I have recently stayed at. With that I was expecting a better then average experience....no such luck. From the first experience dealing with the front desk person. She was on the phone when I arrived and seemed to be more interested in getting back to her call then greeting me. I didn't realize that till she got right back to her call as soon as I walked away. She even apologized to the person on the phone. She was doing math homework with someone! I had asked if there was a Verizon store nearby....she said not in this town. No other info given. I inquired about Stonewall Kitchen and if she knew their hours. She said no......I finally had to say could you please look the number up on your computer for me. She did not make any attempt to make me feel welcome. Nor did she bother to point out the attraction pamphlets that might have given me the info I needed. The hotel is old and is showing it's wear and dated look. Being that it's a beach town I'm not expecting the Ritz but the room was musty. Running the air-conditioning seemed to help with the odor. Toilet area is quite tight, but the rest of the room I'd adequate for two people. The sheets were really thin and barely covered the mattress. My fears of bed bugs began to creep in. I felt better that at least they looked clean. As I go to climb in bed I notice a darkened area on my pillow, I look under the pillow case and there is a large spot of blood, not old dried blood but somewhat recent. That was just disgusting.... I don't know how someone could have changed cases and not seen that. Obviously it had to be on the previous pillowcases and it seeped through. I don't believe I'll even attempt breakfast here. Times are tough for many hotels especially in small towns. All I can suggest is find some employees in the area who want a job and will work to make sure even an older room is properly clean.

Room Tip: Don't agree to pay the prices they are asking. Even my Priceline bid was way too much. I'll...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Radrn60
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Centrally located so east to find and close to Kittery outlets and Foxrun Mall. customer service when booking hotel was pleasant and helpful. We had a room with queen beds which was quite spacious, the only problem with the room was it was very damp(even the carpet felt wet) and musty smelling so the next day I asked at the front desk if they could do something, they offered to change our room but I asked if they could do something else so they suggested a dehumidifier for the day. We were gone the entire day and when we got back the dehumidifier was in the room and the dampness was gone. Apparently all places within a 30 mile radius in July and August are quite humid so don't be surprised. The continental breakfast does not have much for a selection but at least there is a breakfast and the staff are continuosly replenishing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Gerri6
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stay hear for 1 night. Room is very clean and nice. Good value price front desk agents very nice. Everything good.. Good breakfast.. Hmmmm waffles. Eggs. Bagel.. Many more..... Always return ....

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank odinae
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The staff are all very competent, professional, helpful and friendly. The amenities (swimming pool, WiFi, computer, exercise room, included breakfast) add to the value nicely, the cleanliness is obvious and consistent (I've stayed there several times and will be returning), and the people who work there go out of their way to be helpful. They really do. The location (near outlets, fine restaurants, tourist attractions) is central. I have nothing bad to write about the Best Western in York, Maine. And, yes, I have stayed at a number of other local motels. This motel wins. It's not even close. I feel at home there and so do my wife and granddaughter.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank munman65
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We were looking for a decent hotel in York ME and we picked Best Western. We had a good time with our friends in the hotel pool and york beach areas. Staff was helpful with local attaction recommendations and for restaurant reviews as well. Breakfast was very busy with a lot of families, but we were satisfied with the quality and everything looked fresh. Rooms were great and looked updated.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travel_the_world_80
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I am writing this review as I sit in our room we are staying in for one night at the Best Western York Inn. We booked the room through Hotels.com a month ago when planning our family trip through New Hampshire/Maine. Rate was reasonable for this time of year and being a Best Western, one would expect certain standards. Upon driving up, the exterior looks nice and clean and the lobby area also looks nice. Front desk staff were nice but not overly friendly. Upon entering the hallways, you are greeted with a strong musty odor which continues into the guest rooms as well. Our boys compared the smell to the change room of the daycare they used to attend (much like urine, yuck!) The carpets are old, musty and stained in some areas. The closet like washroom is extremely tiny. A larger person would definitely have issues fitting in there for sure. The tub is old and moldy looking. Shower rod is rusted in areas. Dirt in the corner behind the door in washroom. The pool is decent but small and water looks mirky. The windows in the pool area were filthy with cobwebs and bug feces. We are on the last night of our trip and staying here as we are extremely tired and it is a place to sleep for a few hours. However, we would not stay here again. There is free internet which is a plus and free breakfast provided in the morning. However, with the hygienic issues of this hotel, we may just skip the breakfast. We'll decide in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the back. Ours is facing the highway and although the room windows can bw opene...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank dhutchperry
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
#2 of 4 in Kittery
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach

Been to Best Western York Inn? Share your experiences!