“BEWARE OF MISLEADING/CONFUSING GROUPON "DISCOUNTS"!!”

Shore Road Restaurant & Market
Ranked #46 of 113 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed July 2, 2013

First, I will say this is NOT the fault of Groupon at all. Groupon took care of us promptly after this experience.

Second, I will add that I am only rating "value" and "experience" at this establishment. I cannot rate the food, etc., because I did not eat anything here, due to our experience detailed below.

We had a Groupon to this place that was valid through June 30. We paid $15 for this coupon, giving us $30 worth of food, etc., via "three $ 10 punches" (??). In small print the coupon states the "punches" can only be obtained "one per visit" (or something to that effect). No explanation is given as to, say, what if your bill comes to $9 or $13, etc. (again, ???)

We turned in the coupon on June 29 and received their "punch card". We asked how it worked, having never been here before and having never seen anything of this sort - even though we are long time Groupon users (and have been satisfied every time). The cashier that day told us we "just had to turn in the Groupon for the "punch card" by June 30...and that once we got the "punch card", we could then use it whenever we wanted - that it did not expire." (or words to that effect).

So we were relieved - as we wanted to get the full value we paid for. As we left the register, I noticed that the "punch card" (that I was JUST told had "no expiration") indeed HAD an expiration on it of June 30! So, I turned around and asked about this. I was told something like "oh, I didn't know that". Then I asked if we could use this tomorrow or must we use part of it today, etc? The cashier stated it would be no problem if we wanted to come back tomorrow and use it up since it had a "June 30" expiration on it.

So we make another trip down to the area the next day and planned to purchase our lunch and snacks there via our "punch card". We had our entire family down for the day at the beach, etc., and stopped by to grab lunch. We placed and order - and were even prepared to buy EXTRA items that would've carried the bill over the $30 mark (a benefit for the store).

We presented our "punch card" and were, at first, told "this is expired". I then challenged that saying it was valid through June 30. (If it expires June 30...it is valid through June 30, people).

Next we were told "well, you can only use $10 of it at a time". I then explained the entire scenario with the cashier from the day before, but this person did not care one bit about what the employee had told us the day before. They FLATLY refused to honor the card for the $30 value that we had JUST BEEN TOLD THE DAY BEFORE THAT THEY WOULD!! This person even tried AGAIN to convince us that the "punch card" was expired!!

My opinion? They simply put out a VERY misleading promotion via the Groupon and at least some of their employees had no clear idea of how it worked - much less a hapless customer.

We canceled all but a minimal part of our order.

We wasted two trips to this place, when there are HUNDREDS of great places in this beautiful area to support with your business WITHOUT confusing "discounts" where you are told one thing by one employee and another thing by another employee.

Life is WAY too short for that type of experience and our time if FAR to valuable to waste it dealing with situations like this.

LESSON LEARNED: avoid ANY and ALL confusing/misleading "discounts". Only support discounted specials that are STRAIGHTFORWARD and offer NO chance for would-be customers (or employees!!) to misinterpret them.

We took our business elsewhere and, needless to say, we will NOT return.

1  Thank chasepup

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Their lobster roll is so amazing..ate lunch there twice..a must got to ..hot buttered grilled hot dog roll filled with lobster meat no mayo and served with melted butter..beyond amazing..

Reviewed May 29, 2013

off the beaten track. I've been visiting the store part for years, and since they've added the restaurant/deli to it, it's even better. The food is amazing and priced just right. From sandwiches to seafood, it's all wonderful. After all the other 'high priced' places in the area, this is a nice deversion. Small restaurant with '50s style tables and chairs. The waitresses are wonderful, friendly and spot on! We'll keep going back.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

this is the only place my husband will buy a lobster roll . hot dog roll filled with nothing but pure lobster meat . well worth the money . i always get the chicken tenders and they are very good also . awesome staff very friendly .well worth the drive we live about 45 minutes to an hour away

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My friend and I stopped by for a lobster roll while we were exploring the Maine coast. We both had a lobster roll, which was served with a side of melted butter. YUM! It was served with a portion of coleslaw, which was super fresh and slightly lemony.....

Service was friendly and attentive. I'd go back!