“Nice enough, but we've stayed in better”

Dockside Guest Quarters and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 23 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We did not pick this place. Our group was put here by our host and hostess for the weekend reunion. We didn't receive a very warm welcome from anyone, and no one offered to help us take our bags upstairs. There was nothing in our room in the way of water or soft drinks, and no one told us if those things were available elsewhere in the inn. We travel a great deal, and this is pretty unusual treatment. The breakfast was a buffet a la Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites minus the eggs. It wasn't a huge deal for us because we were spending most of our time at a local residence, but for people who are making this a special weekend or something, I would stay elsewhere. Our room was not anything special, a little dated! And the water flow in the shower was very weak. We had a beautiful experience in Kennebunkport. Our dinner at the Dockside's restaurant was very enjoyable although the service was very slow. Yes we had a large group, but they were expecting us for weeks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
guestquarters, Owner at Dockside Guest Quarters and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

I was most distressed to read the comments posted above. The entire staff at the Dockside works very hard to make all guests feel welcome and comfortable and answer any questions they may have about the Dockside or our area. Our normal orientation for guest when they check includes pointing out our afternoon tea treat, where to get iced or hot tea and coffee as well as information about breakfast the next morning. We do not put any bottled water or soft drinks in guest rooms as our local tap water is excellent. In addition, our staff is always available to answer guest’s questions – they just have to ask. I do apologize that no one offered to carry luggage to the second floor, unfortunately there was only one staff member on duty at the time of their check-in and she was not physically capable to assist. Again, if they had asked she could have located some help very easily. I take exception to the description of our breakfast being similar to Hampton Inn. I too have stayed in many chain hotels and I can assure you that the only thing our breakfast shares with them is that it is served buffet style. Everything is homemade, fresh and delicious! I sincerely feel the root problem of all of these problems was the fact that their host choose the Dockside for them and that we were not a good fit for them. They clearly were expecting something that we are not.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Captain's Quarters Suite. The staff were courteous and accommodating. The suite was equal to renting a cozy home with a private deck overlooking a beautiful cove. The bed was comfortable and the shower hot & steamy. The room was clean, nice and secluded - what more can you ask for? We plan to return in the future.

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Super location. Great view. Outstanding service. Wonderful food prepared to perfection. Well balanced menu. Fish, beef, etc. something for everyone. Don't miss Dockside if you are in the area. Trip advisor requires 200 characters. I've said it all in less. So don't read anymore.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I didn't get the warm feeling you usually get when going to an inn. When your spending premium dollars to spend a one night stay at the inn, you would think the owners would welcome you with a more upbeat attitude. Along with the sour attitude my room also had that damp smell to it, and not being able to check in until 4:00pm left me uneasy also, how does one expect to enjoy the room, the view and the grounds. The bed they said had a new mattress on it, but I wasn't sure where they purchased it, because it was actually the worse bed I have ever slept on and I can sleep pretty much on anything and anywhere.
Breakfast was not even breakfast; it was buffet style which had, bread, box cereal, English muffins, yogurt and some kind of apple strudel which was awful. Again, spending over 250.00 a night I think I would like to be waited on and have a decent breakfast.
On a good note, the restaurant we had dinner at that night was very good and had a great meal with an awesome view of the bay. My suggestion, get out of the Inn business and stay with the restaurant business.
So overall when I was down town York Maine I saw a lot of places I would rather have stayed at as this was one of the worse Inn's I have stayed at great view but that’s it.
I would say If you’re looking to get away for the weekend, try going north a little and going to Ogunquit, much more to offer for Inn's and things to do.

Room Tip: The inn is located on a bay, if your looking for crashing waves and a view of the sea, this isn'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay S
guestquarters, Owner at Dockside Guest Quarters and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

I am very puzzled by the comments in this review.

Let me lay out a couple of facts – the bed in their room was brand new 2 moths ago, a high quality Serta mattress and box spring. Breakfast is top-notch and much more then they allude too, we have home made coffee cake and muffins, fresh artisan fruit breads, bagels, English Muffins, fresh sliced fruit, sausage, two types of quiche and baked eggs in individual ramekins. Also, two types of juice, great coffee and a wide variety of teas. We offer granola, yogurt and yes cereal in a box (with fresh berries). All of this is served buffet style daily.

Check in time is 4pm – they knew this. It is communicated to everyone when making a reservation and on their emailed confirmation. This gives us time to make sure each room is just right for the arriving guests. We always try to accommodate early check-in requests when possible.

They told me in comments previously emailed to me that “the person that checked us in was very friendly and showed us around”.

The fact that we didn’t meet these guests’ expectations on so many things is even more perplexing since they stayed with us last year for two nights, bought a souvenir mug and a gift certificate at Christmas time. Quite frankly, I am not sure what the real problem was during their stay but the issues they raise are simply baseless.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our summer is not complete without a visit to the Dockside, even if it has to be brief. Of all the places where we have stayed over the years, this is our favorite. Stunning views, gracious, unpretentious, quiet, away from the crowds. It just fits perfectly where it is. Even the decor is perfect. When I stay at a coastal inn in Maine, I don't want to see antique satin, brocade anything, or gaudy wallpaper. I want to see pictures and models of ships, clean white woodwork, lots of natural light, peaceful surroundings, pleasant staff, and good food. Very glad we found this place many years ago.

Room Tip: Most rooms have wonderful ocean views.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

From the moment we arrived to iced tea, coffee and home made cookies to our final few moments which included a tour of the other rooms, we were pampered by genuine hospitality by the Lusty's and all who passionately work at the Dockside. All the rooms are clean and our #114 was private, quite and a allowed for a great view of the water. Dinner with the package was complete in a beautiful setting and again we were pampered by a staff that were all like family. Although the Dockside is moments away from town and the beach, we were content to stay on the grounds simply reading and absorbing the scenery; from our private porch or at the main house after a wonderful breakfast. We will be back and will bring some friends to share our wonderful experience. We also attended the Sunday 5:00 pm service at St George's Episcopal church in town less than a mile away; a friendly and heartfelt service, with a tasteful yet jazzy piano accompaniment.

Room Tip: #114, quiet, breezy, clean and comfortable, and literally a stones throw from the rippling water!
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Dockside Guest Quarters and restaurant are a quintessentisl Maine establishment. It is a family owned and operated business. They have charming lodging in an incredibly beautiful setting. The breakfast provided is quite lovely. I have eaten in the restaurant several times and have always been pleased.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple