“Breakfast special was great!”

Sandy's Purple Palace
Ranked #84 of 111 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My parents and I went here both mornings we were in Maine and really enjoyed it. The waitress was really friendly and even remembered what we were all having to drink on our second morning!

Sadly, on the second morning when she was really making an effort to talk to us about our trip I had just told my dad (in his 70s) that I thought he may be involved with a cult (true story), and so he was a little preoccupied. As such, he didn't want to talk about how much he loved Maine or where he was from (BTW, with further research we established that he's not actually involved with a cult, just some new-agey take on hinduism...phew!)

Looking at the other reviews it seems as though people weren't happy with the fancier breakfasts, but I really enjoyed the bacon special - $3.99 for one piece of bacon, two eggs, home fries and toast. Tasty, the right amount of food and cheap!! That combined with the stellar service means that we'll go back the next time we're in Maine!

2  Thank Clare M

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Sadly I didn't read TripAdvisor reviews before we had breakfast - everyone who spoke before me echoed my thoughts. Canned mushrooms, lunchmeat slices for ham, cubed potatoes that seemed 3 days old, bitter coffee. The chef bragged about how great his corn beef hash was - my dad couldn't even finish it - it was extremely salty. Stay away - friendly waitress but horrible food - I didn't realize that breakfast could get this bad.

1  Thank Fritch
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

How can you screw up breakfast, well let me count the ways...
First, you cook two sponges, throw a few chocolate chips and jarred rasberry jam on them. Cover the beautiful mess with canned wip cream, and call it Pancakes with Fruit for 8.50$. Then, take a plate, put cubed three weeks old potatoes. Take a can of old mushrooms which you flop on top of the potatoes. Put the plate of mush, in the microwave for a minute. Drape in american cheese. Fry to eggs until they are crusty and brown. Then serve. For 11.50$ thats a bit stiff... And last but not least, to eggs fried to death, accompanied by four slices of old shoe leather, they refer to as "bacon". Served with two white toast. You're probably thinking, "Well, its impossible to screw up toast!" Apparently, IT IS! If you buy the cheapest and oldest bread that is passed its due date. Toasted slices of saw dust! All that magnificent breakfast for 31.50$ including the two coffees that tasted like dirty dishes and apple juice that would give anybody diabetes. Add three dollar of tip. It is safe to say we will never return to That Purple Place, ever!

1  Thank Skippounet
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I used to go here on our annual beach vacations. I remember the owner, sandy, chatting with customers who were willing to wait 30 minutes or more to eat. My experience here 15 years later was such a disappointment! Granted it was 3 days after Labor Day so most of the town was closed up and maybe employees were hard to keep on staff but that's a good sign that Sandys should have closed up too. The one waitress was overheated and perspiring. The kitchen had two microwaves to cook or heat most of the meals. I am pretty sure my omelette was made from egg beaters and the coffee was a cheap as it gets. They served water and milk in plastic cups. Cutting costs like that has cut my desire to ever go back.

2  Thank Littletoaster
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Where else can you get 2 eggs, a slice of bacon and two slices of toast for 3.95? Very busy but worth the wait.

Been to Sandy's Purple Palace? Share your experiences!