“Overcooked Burgers”

Wild Willy's Burgersj
Ranked #3 of 113 Restaurants in York
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Upscale burgers including Bison, Natural, and Prime. All Natural Chicken. Fresh cut Maine potato fries. Fresh fruit drinks and frappes. Beer and wine.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My family and I stopped here on our way through York. My brother, who lives in NH, had heard good things about Wild Willy's and had been wanted to try it. He said he people drive for miles around to get one of their burgers. I love a good burger, so that definitely got my attention. They have a lot of interesting burger combinations to choose from. I went simple. I got the bandito burger with grilled onions and cheddar cheese. I really wanted to taste the “Pineland Farms™ All Natural Beef”. Everyone in my party ordered their burger medium or medium rare and everyone got a well done burger. It was disappointing. Beef of this quality needs to be cooked carefully, because it tends to dry out when it’s overcooked. Don’t get me wrong it was still a decent burger just overcooked. I like a warm pink center. If I had known beforehand that they tend to overcook their burgers I would have gotten a burger smothered in BBQ sauce or some other spicy sauce they offer. Another low point was the fries. They make real hand cut french fries, but they came out limp and greasy. We also got an order of Poutine. The gravy was reminiscent of Thanksgiving dinner, but did help the fries a little. Overall this is not a bad place, but if I’m back in the York area this will not be someplace I come back too. If I lived locally, I would definitely give this place another try.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is actually the 2nd time we have eaten here. We first found this place on a previous trip to Maine about 1 1/2 years ago. It was simply a matter of our needing to find a place to eat and it was there! It was such a pleasant surprise that we decided to plan to stop during this recent trip to Maine.

Located on Route 1, not far from the I-95 interchange in York, the building itself is pretty basic. And, the gravel parking lot may make you wonder what you’ve gotten yourself into. It just looks like a basic burger joint. Inside, the decor has a little western flair complete with a wall-mounted set of longhorn steer horns and old western-style photos. It looks bigger from the outside than it is inside.

The service is a combination of cafeteria and restaurant-style. You must place order at the register from menu posted on the wall above. And pay ‘up front’. You take your beverage with you to a table of your choice but a staff member brings your meal to your table when it’s ready.

The burgers are available in 3 basic cuts: Certified Angus Beef, Pineland Farm brand All Natural Beef and what they call Tender Bison. Whichever you choose, your burger is available in more than a dozen different preparation options. Unlike some establishments, we were also able to choose the degree of ‘doneness’ for our burgers (i.e. medium, medium-rare, etc.)

I chose the Certified Angus Beef served up as a “Wicked Good”. This one included sauteed onions and mushrooms with Swiss and Cheddar cheese. The burger was prepared just as I like it- a little warm pink (their ‘medium’). It arrived at our table hot and oozing cheese- just what you would expect. The burger itself was very tasty, just like I remembered from our previous visit.

My husband also chose the Certified Angus Beef but his was served up as "Rio Grande" prepared with roasted green Mexican chiles and Cheddar cheese. He was also very pleased with his choice. We also shared 1 side of hot fries.

The staff was very friendly and welcoming. We would certainly stop again our our next trip to Maine.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

You want a good burger? Then stop here. Lots of mouth watering options...three kinds of beef (including Bison!) and any topping you can think of. Staff is friendly, prices are a little high but well worth it. Fries are delicious!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you want a great burger that is not a frozen patty and cooked to order, then stop here at Wild Willy's on Route 1 in York, Maine. Their french fries are fresh potatoes, cut and fried and are the best. This is an enjoyable place to eat with Wild Willy himself there to help you. Wild Willy's also has buffalo burgers. Stay away from the fast food places and enjoy a real fresh burger and fries.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I have been going to the York area of Maine for over 6 years and have driven by Wild Willy’s Burgers many times. I have always wanted to stop and check it out, but never said anything. I am sorry I didn’t. This past week we were in the area again and my husband, who also had wanted to stop in, suggested it and we had the best burger ever. It’s an order at the counter type of place with a large assortment of named burgers, each with its own toppings. There were chicken items on the menu as well, but I did not get the details because I was more interested in the burger. I could also recommend the fires tossed with olive oil garlic and rosemary. Prices are very reasonable and the owner and staff were all terrific, even suggesting those wonderful fries. We will not just drive by any longer.