“When in Yarmouth...”

Dining options: Reservations
Portland, Maine
“When in Yarmouth...”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We are regulars at this place as I work in the same town. It is a cozy little establishment with a nice feel at the bar. The food is consistently good. They have a great fish sandwich and a spectacular cobb salad. Entree's are reasonable and tasty, along with friendly staff and decent wine selection.

Visited March 2013

Portland, Maine
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I ate here for the first time last night. The restaurant is fairly simple in its decor, not elegant, which is not a bad thing.

We each had a glass of white wine, $7.00 each. It was good and I would consider it a value for the price.

For an appatizer, I had the sauteed mussels. This was a very good dish. The mussels were tender, not overcooked like one would find in many places, there was not a bit of grit at all, and they had a great flavor and the portion was generous. A good value at $12.00. My wife had the clamari at $10.00 which she enjoyed.

For the main course I had the Haddock With Lobster Stuffing at $24.00. This dish was not what I expected after the freshly prepared mussels. It was very clear that this entree was put together and cooked earlier in the day and then reheated. A knife was needed to cut through the haddock, that is how dry it was. It was not moist and did not have the fresh taste one expects from freshly prepared seafood. The lobster filling lacked lobster. I could taste breadcrumbs, butter and diced celery and that was about it. The risotto was also prepared many hours earlier and did little to resemble true risotto.

My wife had the pan seared scallops for $26.00

Our bill for two glasses of wine, two appetizers and 2 entrees came to $92.00, not including tip. For that price I can get a very good, freshly prepared meal in a well appoionted reataurant in Portland.

It would seem that if you order dishes that have to be prepared at the last minute, you might do well here, but you will be taking a chance.

• Visited February 2013
Yarmouth, Maine
“Not Fair”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

In response to Morgan S from Westbrook -

My family has been going to Grill 233 regularly for many years and I have ordered the Mimosa countless times. #1 They do not pre-mix their drinks, so accidentally pouring booze into a sippy cup is impossible. #2 They do not serve brunch. Perhaps you should try a wine tasting so you can learn the difference between champagne and bad OJ. Secondly, who are you to say where and when a mother can take her children. It's a family restaurant during lunch time, not a night club. Shame on you for making judgments on another mother that you know nothing about. What horribly unjust accusations to make on a complete stranger when you are so obviously wrong. Do you understand the potential consequences that stranger could suffer due to your naivety? She's just a waitress though so who cares about her. Shame Shame Shame.

• Visited October 2012
West Tennessee
“Delicious Meal, Great Service, Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

A co-worker and I, both educators from Tennessee, dined at this restaurant while on our fall break. We stayed at a nearby motel and walked into the restaurant at night. We were graciously and quickly seated. The waitress took our order and soon returned with our meal. We had the New England Clam Chowder, crab cakes, and butternut squash and apple soup and they were all wonderful! The clam chowder was flavorful with just the right consistency. The crab cakes were crispy on the outside with a wonderful, tasty texture. The butternut squash and apple soup was absolutely delicious! The prices were very reasonable, The atmosphere was quiet and the dining room was very clean. When we returned home, we told everyone about our wonderful meal at Grill 233. I highly recommend dining in this restaurant and will definitely return on any future trips to Maine!

• Visited October 2012
“Great place, great food”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The grill is a great place to go if you are in or near Yarmouth. Their service also seems to be improved! We love the fish and chips and Tuscan shrimp. Lots of draft beer to choose from. Definitely worth it to check it out!!! Small and cozy too