“Unlimited Finds and a Good Time” 5 of 5 bubbles

Montsweag Flea Market
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Woolwich
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Unlimited Finds and a Good Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I've been a patron of Montsweag Flea Market for over 20 years. I always have a good time and find great deals. Get there early, grab some breakfast at the food stand and take your morning Moxie with you while you shop.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank alcoguy

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Owner of flea market Attacked my family”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hard to believe. Apparently the grounds are owned by a woman who came after my wife, who was carrying our 4month old baby in her arms. My wife was walking her very well trained dog without a leash, which is against the rules (she didn't know, there was no sign) The owner said something about a leash to my wife and so she headed back to the car on the far opposite side of the market. Apparently my wife didn't move fast enough because the woman came after her, blowing cigarette smoke in our baby's face, and physically intimidating my wife, who literally thought she was about to be punched. My wife was leaving quickly but the woman would not back off. The woman kept yelling that it was private property and she was calling the police. She harassed my wife to her car called her a Mass hole when she saw the plates and off we went. Honestly disappointing that no vendors came to my wife and child's defense. Please do not go to this flea market. The grounds are owned by a terrible person and she ruined and otherwise fun trip to Maine.

Visited September 2013
8 Thank Obadiah J
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
178 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 644 helpful votes
“What You Want in a Flea Market”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is the kind of place I look for in a Flea Market. Large, varied, all sorts of vintage and non-vintage items, reasonable pricing and generally affable vendors. It is certainly not so upscale that you can't find a bargain. The vendors are either very knowledgable or know how to bait the verbal hook or both. Most offer a long story about every item you check out including provenance and why their asking price is seriously reasonable. Whether I am being handed a dose of tall tales in the midst of the earnest patter is usually beyond my expertise. (Except I do know books and coins and the book prices for the good ones are on the high side while some coins sold at very reasonable prices). You hear a lot about taciturn Maine people but, at least at Montsweag the folks are active and engaged. We returned for a second day and will go back again when we are in the area.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank TommyBoy94
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Montsweag Flea Market is so much fun!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Have been shopping here for about 16 years on our annual trip up from Georgia, we set aside time on Saturday and Sunday if there is any chance of rain the dealer's will not show up and the market will not open, but for sure you can find some treasures here, a great open air flea market in the wonderful state of Maine. Be sure to stop in and see Janice with her veggies and baked goods, she is a local woman (Woolwich) originally from Brazil, who is simply wonderful, she has even been to our home in Georgia. Anyway shop this flea market it always provides a good time and some good finds.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank InlovewithMaine
Hagerstown MD
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“One of the Reasons We Shop in Maine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Montsweag Flea Market is one of the reasons we return to Maine year after year. It's a treasure hunter's dream -- just large enough to have some variety but small enough to be do-able in a reasonable amount of time. It is mostly geared to antiques so if you forgot to pack socks, you will probably not find them here but you could find a number of other useful items that would not be in the antique category. You can get those socks at "Big Al's" just North on Route 1 in Wiscasset or any of the "Reny's" stores. In the meantime, enjoy shopping at Montsweag and have some breakfast or lunch freshly made just for you at the food stand. If you'd like a can of Moxie, they sell that at the food stand also. Warning: If you've never tried Moxie, it is unlike any soda pop you've ever experienced but everyone should try it at least once. It's an acquired taste for sure but most of our family enjoys it. Portable toilets are available.

Visited June 2012