“Not what I expected”

Sprague's Lobster
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Wiscasset
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed November 8, 2011

From reading other reviews, I expected the lobster roll to be similar to the one at Red's. It was not in the same league. This was an average lobster roll, which was disappointing.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Made a 30 mile drive based on reviews and maybe I expected too much. All outdoor seating at picnic tables, paper and plastic utensils. Lobster was cheaper several other places. I should have had a sandwich as locals,including two hefty EMT's, were there ordering take-out. Staff was friendly and the guy who sells "homemade jelly" in a stand beside them was too. His prices and products were good, buy his jelly, eat a sandwich, aand goon down the road for your lobster dinner.

1  Thank huckcummings
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Forget that place across the road, go to Sprague's. Their lobster is excellent, it comes from the same ocean as Red's lobsters do. There is ample seating with a great view. The prices are right on too. We stopped there on our way up to northern Maine and returned on our way back south towards home. No need to wait in a long line, turn in at Sprague's.

1  Thank steve z
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I timed our trip up Route 1 so we would be near Wiscasset, around lunch time. I had heard so much about Red's Eats, that I just had to try it. That is until I saw the line and the seating so close to the road. I pulled into the lot across the street, to decide if we wanted spend that much time standing in line. We looked up and saw that we were right in front of Sprague’s Lobster shack. The line of people was far shorter, excellent view right on the water and we were not standing in a line next to the road breathing-in car exhaust (like the people across the street) They may only take cash - I did not have a charge receipt.

Many of the people eating here appeared to be more of a local crowd than over at Red’s.
There was only one person ahead of us when I ordered. I opted for a crab roll (had a lobster roll last night). Being from Maryland, I had to try it. I was not disappointed. Perfectly cooked crab piled high, with just the touch of mayo, all on fresh roll. Not sure how it could be improved! Sitting away from the road on the big spacious deck next to the water, was a great place to enjoy our meal. Sure wish this place was closer to home - I would eat here often!

1  Thank gemini52
Reviewed August 28, 2011

On our way up to Bar Harbor, ME, my wife and I stopped in Wiscasset for a lobster roll. We'd read about Red's in our "1000 Places to See Before You Die" book and had consulted Tripadvisor, learning about Sprague's. First, Sprague's is on the right, so for those headed up the coast, it's more convenient to access. There was ample parking when we arrived, just ahead of a rainstorm. We ordered and took a nearby table (under an umbrella) and watched the folks waiting in line at Red's across the street as the rain rolled in. The Sprague's lobster roll was excellent. The meat was substantial and the bread had a wonderful, buttery crispness that really complimented the lobster. We enjoyed our lobster roll and were back on our way before we would have even placed our order across the street at Red's. We didn't try Red's, but didn't feel like we missed a thing. The lobster roll at Sprague's was by far the best we had in Maine. We definitely plan to go back to Sprague's the next time we're in the area!

3  Thank diver26508