“Great Lobster Shack, Without The Long Line”
Review of Sprague's Lobster

Sprague's Lobster
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Wiscasset
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I timed our trip up Route 1 so we would be near Wiscasset, around lunch time. I had heard so much about Red's Eats, that I just had to try it. That is until I saw the line and the seating so close to the road. I pulled into the lot across the street, to decide if we wanted spend that much time standing in line. We looked up and saw that we were right in front of Sprague’s Lobster shack. The line of people was far shorter, excellent view right on the water and we were not standing in a line next to the road breathing-in car exhaust (like the people across the street) They may only take cash - I did not have a charge receipt.

Many of the people eating here appeared to be more of a local crowd than over at Red’s.
There was only one person ahead of us when I ordered. I opted for a crab roll (had a lobster roll last night). Being from Maryland, I had to try it. I was not disappointed. Perfectly cooked crab piled high, with just the touch of mayo, all on fresh roll. Not sure how it could be improved! Sitting away from the road on the big spacious deck next to the water, was a great place to enjoy our meal. Sure wish this place was closer to home - I would eat here often!

1  Thank gemini52

Reviewed August 28, 2011

On our way up to Bar Harbor, ME, my wife and I stopped in Wiscasset for a lobster roll. We'd read about Red's in our "1000 Places to See Before You Die" book and had consulted Tripadvisor, learning about Sprague's. First, Sprague's is on the right, so for those headed up the coast, it's more convenient to access. There was ample parking when we arrived, just ahead of a rainstorm. We ordered and took a nearby table (under an umbrella) and watched the folks waiting in line at Red's across the street as the rain rolled in. The Sprague's lobster roll was excellent. The meat was substantial and the bread had a wonderful, buttery crispness that really complimented the lobster. We enjoyed our lobster roll and were back on our way before we would have even placed our order across the street at Red's. We didn't try Red's, but didn't feel like we missed a thing. The lobster roll at Sprague's was by far the best we had in Maine. We definitely plan to go back to Sprague's the next time we're in the area!

3  Thank diver26508
Reviewed July 31, 2011

When one sees the lines at Red's Eats across the street, you turn in to Sprague's and find a delightful alternative. They have the full selection of Maine seafood favorites, no line and a place to sit our of the dust of the road. I'd go back any time.

1  Thank dltwings
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stopped here tonight after eating at red's last night. Owner was very friendly-let our kids hold the lobsters for us to get pictures, explained how he cooked the lobsters, etc. Fish (haddock) and chips were great. Lobster was small but good considering it was about $11. Would definitely return.

Reviewed May 14, 2011

What a great lobster roll...the lobster was overflowing the bun. The taste was fantastic...wow I enjoyed that lunch. Red's is very crowded and the lines are long, Sprague is less crowded and just as good.

2  Thank Rich30306