“Hope it was just an off day” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of 4 Points BBQ and Blue House - CLOSED

4 Points BBQ and Blue House
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television
“Hope it was just an off day”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

We were desperate to find lunch and stopped here based on others reviews. The staff was friendly, however I find the overall " down homey" and " laid back" euphemisms for kind of greasy dirt down touch anything and wash your hands. My companions ribs were basically bones and nothing more. Wouldn't try the selection of sauces as they did not appear to have been cleaned recently. Won't even comment on the restroom. I left my meal on the side of the road half hour later. Based on other reviews I really hope it was just a bad day.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Reillyspy

DownEast and Acadia Maine, Maine
“BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Relaxed, comfortable atmosphere, great food and choices, outdoor seating, nice choice of beers.
Glad they had umbrellas over the tables for protection from hot sun.

Visited August 2012
Winterport, Maine
“A spicy change of pace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

First let me admit my bias - you'll see I'm a "local customer." I go to 4 points once a month for a nice meal. I'm torn because I want them to do well, but I also want it to be our own hidden gem that doesn't get too crowded (you'll see why later). My latest approach to TA reviews is to bring up what other people haven't said a dozen times before.

One thing I really like about 4 points is the atmosphere. It's a small operation, so you need to be patient. I've never been in and out in less than 45 minutes. Have a draft, enjoy your company and settle in. The tunes are good, the wait staff are down-home friendly, the overall vibe is more like a pub than a linen cloth restaurant. Inside there are just 5 or 6 picnic tables for seating. You may have to wait 15 minutes for a table and you're almost standing over the table you want to have open up. Recently they've added an outdoor stage and dining area that looks a little like a rodeo, but it's also pleasant on a summer night. Whether I eat in or take to go, I've always had enough leftovers for lunch the next day. I've enjoyed the ribs, Beef Brisket, and "Burnt Ends." As much as we love the food, there are times I feel overly sauced and spiced. Everything is zesty and tangy, except the corn bread. I would love to see their menu include some corn, rice or fries just to give my taste buds a momentary break. If you eat "in" you'll find that all the meats are smoked, but it's up to you to choose from 4 great BBQ sauces: Carolina, Kansas City, Texas and Memphis. Everyone in town seems to have their own favorites. If you get your meal to go, BE SURE to ask for two different sauces. One time I didn't and was disappointed when I got home and found none.

I think one of the riskiest things about eating at 4 points, is also what makes them sooo good. They create BBQ the right way - smoking the food over a day or so. It's delicious, but when they run out of food, that's it. You're out of luck. They will not reheat a bunch of old food or prefab meat just to keep the tables full. That's no big deal if you live in town, but that may be a bummer if you've just driven a half an hour. Most locals know that if you show up after 5 ish on the weekend, some of the menu will be SOLD OUT. Weekdays are a little better. So if you're driving down to Winterport just for this meal, I'd call ahead. Currently they're closed Monday and Tuesdays - check their website or Facebook for current hours.

So as you can tell, I'm a fan or 4 points. I appreciate having some different options here in town!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank nodaybut2day
Bangor, Maine
“very slow”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

The food is very good, but the service can be awful. Our last visit we didn't even get served before we finally paid for our beers and left, after 2 hours waiting for food. It was during one of their shows and there was a good crowd, but after seeing several groups receive food even though they ordered well after us we just couldn't stay. The waitress herself was good but she was very frustrated at what seemed to be a lot of ticket jumping in the kitchen. The woman who is the lead "smoker" should stay away from the service side.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank david k
“Great!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Grey food!!! Leanest pork, great variety of BBQ sauces... Overall the best pulled pork sandwich I have EVER had!!!