“Nice Lunch Stop” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of J.M. Gerrish Restaurant

J.M. Gerrish Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: J.M. Gerrish Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour is a small (45 seat) restaurant on the coast of Winter Harbor Maine. The served here though simple fare is served well. We have gluten free products as well. Maine made Gifford Ice Cream in many flavors can be ordered by itself or incorporated in one of our many milk shakes, ice cream sodas, or sundaes.
Boston, MA
“Nice Lunch Stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Recently spent a week in Winter Harbor. Although there aren't too many restaurants to choose from, the few that are there are all pretty good. J.M. Gerrish was especially nice. All of the foods appear to be made inhouse. The menu isn't large but it has enough variety to get through a meal. More importantly though, the food is just done well. Sandwiches are made on thick cut bread and can be grilled. The salad still looked alive, no dried out or limp lettuce. They clearly take pride in their product and it shows. Prices were not terrible, not inexpensive but not expensive either. Although I didn' t have my laptop with me, they appeared to offer wi-fi too. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank bhmg

Medford, Massachusetts
“Great breakfast pop-over sandwich, mmmmm!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We had breakfast at Gerrish's Cafe on our recent stay in Winter Harbor. (great town!)
My sandwich was made with scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese, in a fresh pop-over. it was Quite good! The coffee was also very good, and the waiter was a very pleasant young gentleman. I guess I'll say it again, they weren't exactly quick. But, not as slow as some of the other area restaurants. No such thing as fast food in Maine..
From seating to placing order: 10+ minutes, from order to table: 15+ minutes.
25+ minutes is kinda slow for a breakfast sandwich, in my book.
But, my wife always says to me: "slow down, be patient, were in Maine".
I mean no dis to my fine Maine neighbors, but sometimes, service needs to move at a better clip. Good food though. I'd go back.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank ben795
Peterborough, New Hampshire
“Small fist class lunch stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Loved this coffee shop that was once the local post office, drug store and soda fountain. Great food, super service and warm atmosphere. Good choice for lunch or dinner, casual yet inviting.

• Visited August 2011
Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“5 Stars Top Notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

The cafe is imaculate,the staff friendly and the food is the best I've ever tasted and reasonably priced for the value...great desserts of all kinds, danish, sandwiches, breakfast, catering offered (you should see the specialty cakes, made to order) ; the clam chowder is extrodinary; unique Maine sodas, wines, and sauces..The Breads and pastries are made in the early morining hours to ensure quality and freshness and it shows!- Everything is made from scratch with quality ingredients and great care. This is now my grocery store, too! My compliments to the new owners/chefs! Winter Harbor is indeed fortunate to have attracted such talented chefs and the tourists are in for the best in the area in my opinion.

1 Thank HCZadvisor
Burlington, Vermont
“Bad experience in delightful setting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

We entered expecting a delightful lunch to be followed by ice cream or a nice pastry for dessert. We left having had a bad experience.

After ordering, we waited 20 to 25 minutes for our lukewarm lobster bisque to arrive. It contained a few bits of lobster meat, however the bisque was an unpleasant brown color and tasted awful. We then waited another 20 minutes. We could see other customers who'd arrived well after us being served their complete meals. Some of them finished up and left. Finally, after I went back inside to inquire, our hamburger and clam roll arrived. Both rolls were burned on the inside. Mine was completely black and inedible. By then, I was so hungry, I just scraped off the fried clams.

I went inside to show the manager what her kitchen had produced. She proceeded to deny our long wait with her "I don't think so!" reply. When shown the burned buns, she ordered the cashier to refund my money for the sandwich, turned away and stalked off without so much as an apology.

• 2 of 5 bubbles