“A super chowder house”

Cuisines: American
Naples, ME
“A super chowder house”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Gilberts was great! We had tasted their seafood chowder in Portland and then again in Windham within the course of the week. Each stop was better than the last. The chowder was fresh and tasty... the operative word being 'fresh'. The service in Windham was one notch above Portland, but well worth the stop at either place.

• Visited July 2013

North Waterboro, Maine
“Under new management? Should be!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Under New Management? If not, needs to be!
Have been and loved Gilberts in the Old Port.
Tried Windham locale a few years ago and loved it!
Not sure what happened between then and now.
Was bragging to my friends at work about how great their Chowder is etc.
Since we eat out frequently at work, I offered to stop there and get takeout.
Got Clam Chowder and Seafood Chowder and a Lobster Roll.
Got to work and neither of the chowders were marked as to which was which.
Online menu (and from what my bill totaled seemed to be accurate price wise) gave price of Seafood Chowder as 2.00 more. Makes sense for added things I would assume are in Seafood Chowder..fish? shrimp? lobster? clams?
We opened them up anticipating a quick stir to determine which one was which.
Wrong.
Could not for the life of us tell which one was the Seafood Chowder.
We kept stirring and comparing until we just gave up and figured that they gave us 2 Clam Chowder instead of what we ordered.
Unfortunately where I worked was far from where Gilberts is located so just called to let them know of the mistake and figured they would be accommodating.
Wrong!
"We cannot fix the charge going through on your card" was what I was told.
I have worked in many restaurants and know this to be false.
I let the person know that I had given a 2.00 tip on the takeout to the girl at the bar and at that point the other girl offered to deduct the 2.00 from her tip.
I asked why she should have to pay for the person's mistake who fixed the food?
Although they could have not run it through for that amount and then just tipped the girl out of pocket.
Instead they told me they would tell the manager and she would fix it and call me.
No call..figured they would just fix it.
Everything went through my bank account including the tip.
Called and spoke with manager and was told in a completely pathetically uncaring tone "what do you want us to do about it".
I told her that I did not think I should have to pay for something I did not receive.
She told me that the Seafood Chowder was only .75 cents more than the Clam and she would leave me .75 on the bar for the next time I passed by.
And I will pass by...without stopping in...for food...ever again...and I strongly suggest everyone else do the same.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Carol O
New England
“Hit-or-Miss”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We are locals and do go there often. The food is always good for the kind of food it is.

The issue we have found is with the quality and inconsistency of the staff. Sometimes they are awesome, accommodating, friendly and just all around great to deal with. Other times they are horribly slow, rude, nasty, condescending and well, we have left there saying we will never go back... but always do. They have some great staff and some that have no business in the service industry.

If there was more consistency with the way we were served and treated, it would be our favorite local place. Sitting at the bar gives you a little better service and a birds-eye view of what is really going on.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank cpdjustice
Poland
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Gilbert's seems typical of much of Maine - fried, fried, fried! We were not thrilled by our chowder or anything else. However service was fine. When we first moved to Maine we tried Gilbert's in Portland, & I suggested it would be nice if diners had a choice of fried, grilled, steamed. Fried seems to be a Maine thing, but fortunately there are restaurants which deviate from this.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank poos
Windham, Maine
“Terrible service”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was the worst service and experience in a restaurant I have ever had. Our waitress (who was known by some at our table) was rude, inconsiderate, and childish. After ordering a great first round of drinks, we all asked for a second drink. Upon tasting the drinks we all had the same reaction....there was no alcohol in them. They tasted absolutely nothing like the first drinks. When this was pointed out to our waitress (and we were polite about it) she said " I don't know what to tell you" and walked away to wait on another table next to us while we were still trying to converse with her. She eventually went inside to speak with the bar tender, whom is also the owners daughter, and came back to tell us that she herself had personally watched the drinks being poured and that they had been made correctly. We explained that we still didn't think they tasted right at all and asked for new drinks. Her reply was that the bartender had told her there was nothing they could do, and we would not be receiving new drinks. We were sitting outside at the patio and decided to bring the drinks to the bar and speak with the bar tender. We explained (again politely) that we were not satisfied with our drinks. She said that another bar tender had made the drinks and that our waitress was saying that she had seen them made and that they were correctly done. Again we explained how well made out first drinks were, and how some of us had been here many times and that we did not think out second drinks had any alcohol in them. Her reply was that we could BUY another shot to add to our now watery drinks but other then that she would not be doing anything to help us. As in many places the cost of a shot and a mixed drink are the same at Gilberts. So the "option" she was giving us was to pay TWICE as much for a single drink... Dumbfounded yet? We did not like that offer and decided we would go get drinks at Club 302 instead. We left the drinks on the bar, and said that we didn't want the drinks, but thank you. We sat back down and got our bill which included the second round of alcohol free drinks that we did not consume. When we explained that we did not wish to pay for sub par drinks we did not drink, we were told that the bar tender (again the owners daughter and general manager...) had said that she could not take the drinks off our bill. At this point we flat out refused to pay and requested new bills immediately. She again left our table in a huff to consult with this so called bar tender AGAIN....mean while we were feeling very uncomfortable and in a hurry to leave after such crazy behavior. The waitress finally returned with corrected bills and we paid what we owed and left. We will NEVER be returning again.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank sarah w

Been to Gilbert's Chowder House? Share your experiences!