“Well worth visiting”

The Village Tavern
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Off the beaten path, in West Kennebunk just off I-95...casual, yet upscale...many but not too many entrees to choose...linen tablecloths and glass wine glasses...very knowledgeable waitress re menu....arrived early since there are no reservations and our party of four were seated immediately...no rush....we talked and visited over great wine and mixed drinks...all dinners were delicious and so wonderfully presented...you pick an entree, then pick a side. We had pecan crusted haddock....light and delicious, panko crusted haddock fingers, linguine with seafood and short ribs. Sides were roasted asparagus, seasonal veggies (zucchini, onion and asparagus), potato wedges and several others...all cooked perfectly and looked as delicious as they tasted!
Prices are reasonable, service great, we will be back.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I spent this past long weekend in Biddeford Pool, and planned on having dinner out on Sunday evening.

I happened to see a recommendation for renters where we were staying for the Village Tavern. We knew they did not take reservations, and so we went knowing we would most likely have a wait, on a holiday weekend.

We arrived at 6:30, and were advised that the wait would be about 45 minutes. So we went to the bar for a cocktail. Within 10 minutes there were no longer any seats at the bar and folks continued to arrive. It was just over an hour for a table to open for us, but we knew that going in, so not a big deal.

Our server, Barry was pleasant and knowledgable on the menu. There was no rush for us to order, service was paced very well, and we were there for about 2 1/4 hours. This is why there was a long wait, they don't push you in order to turn the table and that is big in our book.

Appetizers (fried clams, lobster risotto) were large and very good. I told our waiter we would share a Caesar salad, and it arrived on two plates, a nice touch. Entree's (broiled haddock, short ribs) were also perfect. And desert (home made ice cream, carrot cake) were also great. Ice cream was as noted, made in house and was not overly sweet, very nice.

Per tax tab, including two cocktails, was an even $100.00. That is great value for a high end quality meal in a tourist area. And the atmosphere was very casual. We will definitely return and this restaurant is open year round. One final note, some reviews noted the noise level, and that it was difficult to converse. We found no problem conversing, on a very busy evening.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

A native told us about The Tavern, so we decided to try, and were very pleased with our meal. My sister is still raving about the Linguini with seafood. Said it was the most delicious sauce she'd ever tasted. I had the Flounder Fingers which I felt were fried a little bit too long, but were good none the less. Sides were wonderful and could have made my meal by eating them all.
One unfortunate thing was the lack of adequate air conditioning. Although the hostess said there was AC, the windows were open and fans were going. The atmosphere was very warm with a lack of ventilation. I'm sure the owners will attend to these problems as they have a gold mine in West Kennebunk.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This spot is a bit off the beaten path, but well worth a visit. It was very busy on a summer Wednesday night when we visited, which is always a good sign. Our meals were great. The Pan Seared Shrimp, Sea Scallop & Lobster stew got rave reviews.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Wow! You feel spoiled as you leave The Village Tavern. You just had a fabulous meal for cheap. And when I say fabulous I mean incredibly well executed and distinctive without being show-offy. The variety of menu choices makes it a crowd pleaser as well as a place you can return to often. What really blew me away were the sides. They are not an afterthought! I could make a meal of them. So far I have only had the vegetable tempura (awesome) and the grilled asparagus with roasted almond butter (equally awesome). It will be my mission to try them all.