“OK but a little bit icky”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Majestic Regency

Majestic Regency
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Wells
TheMongerer
“OK but a little bit icky”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2007

This place was OK but had sort of an icky vibe. My room was very dated, and even though it was clean it still felt sort of gross and moist all over. The breakfast is nice if you get there early before the whole thing gets pillaged by the other guests. They buy the donuts / pastries fresh from a local bakery so it's definitely better than a standard hostess-cake style continental. They do have a lot of stuff to do there - tennis, nice pool & games, and the grounds are very well kept. The staff were all great, no complaints there. Most of what I didn't like was specific to the room; everything about it was a little old and itchy and worn. Also - the setup of the hotel is very communal - I accidentally walked into my neighbor's room a few times. (my fault of course, not the hotel's) Most of the rooms facing the main courtyard only had sliding glass doors with less-than-opaque curtains, and I wished that my room had had a real door.

• Liked — Breakfast if you get there early, staff, grounds
  • Disliked — dated itchy room, lack of security and privacy from glass door
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TheMongerer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

A couple weeks before our planned trip, decided to see if we could book a couple rooms online. Was very pleased that the Majestic Regency accepted one night reservations. Most places need at least two nights. Traveling with two little children we wanted to have a place to stay all ready. Both rooms were exceptionally clean and well maintained. Bathroom, tub, shower, (and even shower liner) was spotless. I have had very bad experiences in places costing 150.00 plus a night. Staff was very friendly, both over the phone when I called to confirm, and in person. Is located in the heart of activity. Ogunquit, Perkins cove, and attractions in wells. The breakfast included in the price of the room was excellent, being that we were traveling with children and they did not need one more restaurant so early in the morning. Cereal, coffee, milk, juice, assorted bread and donuts made for a nice leisurey start to the morning. I would most definitly return there again

• Liked — clealiness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NH_Marti
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2007

We had checked on line for a place in Ogunquit, but being the last week before labor day found ALL rates to be on the very high side. Decided to take a chance on finding something low end available. When we came to the M-R, it didn't look like much from the street but had a 59.00 room rate posted outside. Went in not knowing exactly what to expect but was able to get a very nice double for 79.00. This was at 10:00 am and we were able to get in the room, unload luggage and set out to see the town.

I must say that this is a well run, very clean and well maintained facillity. The room was much cleaner than places we've stayed at costing twice as much. Set on seven acres, they have a large heated pool, nice tennis courts, picnic area with gas grills as well as horse shoes and shuffle board. A very large breakfast room (in its own building) provides varied items, but nothing hot.

The trolley (best mode of transportation in Ogunquit if you don't want to pay 3.00/hr to park) stops right at the entrance (1.50)
and there is a decent place to eat (The Hayloft) right next door.

The owners (who are fairly new) are Irish and welcome all - a lot of people from Canada find this a great spot to stay. Being from North Carolina. I wish I lived closer and could visit a couple of times a year.

All in all, we found this to be a gem of a find and would recommend it - highly.

• Liked — Clealiness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mariposa509
w. ma.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2007

Stayed here many years ago and it felt dingy and old. Recently,Four female members stayed and had a great time. Also my wife and I stopped in Aug and were quite pleased with our experience. I understand that its under new ownership. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of changes they will make.
It truly is an old facility, but our room was clean and everything in good working order. Lots of things for young people to do right on the premises. Looking forward to future stays.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — Only 1 ice machine. Located at pool.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

The photos on-line are deceiving. The "resort" is run down and the rooms have not been renovated since about the 1970's. The beds are extremely uncomfortable as are the paper thin pillows. This should be called a motel and not a resort. For a $150 a night there are better options around.

Stayed August 2007

Travelers are raving about these Wells hotels

Cromwell, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

My family and friends just returned from a long weekend at the Majestic. We absolutely loved every minute of it!

Liam and Mary, the wonderful new owners of the Majestic, are owners worth "following". They are the former owners of the Emerald Isle in Hampton Beach, NH. Please note that I said former....as the current owners of the Emerald Isle have definitely let the place slide, but still try to pass Liam and Mary off as the owners should you call there.... definitely shady business practice!

Our family was thrilled when we discovered that Liam and Mary acquired the Majestic, and we decided to book our stay with them for our family reunion weekend. Even though the reunion takes place in Exeter, NH, we knew the Majestic would be worth the travel!

It most definitely was. It has charm, charm, charm. One can not find a better value than this! The room rates were unbelievably reasonable, and most importantly, clean!!!!! The grounds are in wonderful shape, with a sparkling inground swimming pool, "working" tennis courts (I quote that, since many courts aren't functional, no matter what websites say!!), horseshoes, grilling stations and more. To add to the bargain, they serve breakfast as part of your stay! Yummy fresh doughnuts daily, from a bakery right down the road.... to all sorts of breads, bagels, cereals, milk, juices, coffee and tea... etc.

We already know that more of the family will be joining us there next year, and can't wait to spend time with Liam and Mary again. They are truly "the host and hostess with the mostest"!!!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank jkwedding4
The Great State of Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2007

I had to make a business trip to Ogunquit over the Memorial Day weekend, and needed to find a place I could stay for one only night. When I started calling around for a room I found that most hotels had jacked up their rates for the holiday weekend and/or had two-night minimums. While I could have afforded to pay the higher rates, I was a bit put off and decided to shop around.

Someone suggested I try the Majestic Regency, where the rate was right at $50 including tax for one person. I checked their web site, and decided to give it a shot.

While "Majestic Regency" is a gross misnomer, the motel complex is neverthless an excellent value for the money. Dated (I'm guessing it was built in the 1950s or 60's), the complex is squeaky clean and well-maintained. My room was in excellent repair, it appeared to have been freshly painted, and the bathroom was clean. The grounds are spacious, landscaped, free of trash, and all the building exteriors are well-maintained.

I highly recommend it for travelers on a budget.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Old-style (dated) furnishings
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LovingMaine