“Best chowder ever”

Billy's Chowder House
Ranked #8 of 68 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rochester, New York
“Best chowder ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

This place does have the best clam chowder. I've had plenty but like Billy's. The chowder isn't as thick as some more on brothy side, full pieces of clams and very very good. Some chowders are very thick and I think this takes away from the overall soap. Billy's does it perfect. Can't wait to go back for more. The fried claims and other food all looked good. Had a broiled haddock sandwich which was done just right. Great view of the salt marsh while dining. Put this restaurant on your list if you are ever in Wells. Easy to find along Mile Rd. going towards the beach.

Providence, Rhode Island
“Times Are Changing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I've eaten at Billy's at least a dozen times over the last 20 years and have always enjoyed myself. However on my most recent visit I was stunned to notice a noticeable price increase and a decrease in the quality of the food. The food used to be unbeatable; but frankly, now, for the price it's not worth it anymore. They charged $17 dollars for a pound of steamers, where you could get the same thing up the street at Mike's Clam Shack for 14-15 dollars. The service we had was not good either; the waitress was a bit rushed and forgot to check up on us, was a little bit too brash when we'd ask a question about the menu.

Visited July 2014
Webster, New York
“This is where we begin and end our Maine vacations!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a week at Well's Maine. We have vacationed there for a week every year but last year since we moved to Upstate NY last April (2013) and missed our trip to Wells and to Billy's. We love NY but you just cannot get good seafood here and believe me we have tried. We ate at Billy's at least once a day for the 7 days we were just there. We had lobster stew almost every day....lobster rolls...plain lobster, fried clams, fried scallops, baked scallops, mussels and of course fried haddock!! The food never disappoints. There is NO other place to try lobster stew. It is the BEST broth and so full of wonderful lobster meat. I love the way all of the seafood meals are simply prepared so that you get the full wonderful taste without covering it up. The service is superb as well. This has always been our experience. (here, in upstate NY they make a "traditional" fish fry with the skin still on the haddock...yuck) We used $15 worth of reward points on our first meal last week. They never expire. Ours was from 2012. We are well on our way towards earning another one. Did I mention that the drinks are great too?? How can you go wrong. We have a few other places that we love too but nothing can outshine Billy's!! (we can only click on one thing but we were there for both dinners and lunches and as a couple and with friends) I have reviewed Bill's here two years ago with photos. It hasn't changed a bit and we hope it never does.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Quiet spot for lunch on the marsh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Friendly place, good seafood. quick service if you want it, but stay and look at the marsh and enjoy the breeze

Visited July 2014
Dayton, Maine
“Fantastic Food, Great view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I must say that it's about time I found a restaurant that knows how to cook seafood as well as food in general. We had a party of 15 and the owner / manager was so accommodating for us. The food was fantastic. Clams, scallops, shrimp, haddock, all cooked to perfection like it should be. The kids dinners came out cooked correctly and hot! What a great crew there at the restaurant as well. We will definitely be back!