“Not the best chowder but the food was good.”

Billy's Chowder House
Ranked #10 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Ordered the famous Billy's clam chowder and was disappointed. More of a milk stew with a few clams and a lot of potatoes. The lobster roll was good but the fish sandwich was frozen seafood. Surprising for Maine. Stopped again for dinner a few nights later and found the lobster dinner good(but small) and the fried clams were very good. Meals are a bit expensive for a bar atmosphere.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed October 23, 2012

While in Maine we had to have seafood. Online referral to Bill'ys got us there. I almost got the happy hour drink, but the waitress didn't get the hint or order in time. I got the medium sized combo choice of scallops and haddock. My wife got "stuffed shrimp". My meal was great and adequate portion for me. Now my wifes favorite meal is baked stuffed shrimp, unfortunately this is not what she got. I describe it as a casserole of stuffing with small/medium shrimp in it. I persuaded her not to complain, but she ended up telling the waitress, who only shrugged her shoulders. Well I later had my wife's leftovers and boy, was it not a meal to be proud of, dry overcooked. I blame myself for not respecting her opinion and a complaint should have been made

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was our first trip to Maine and the guy at the travel info center recommended Billy's. Growing up on the west coast, I really miss steamed clams. When we walk in we find out they are 1/2 price. Jackpot!!! :-) We had our first Lobster rolls - ever, clams and did not want to leave. Ate Way too much, enjoyed the view and didn't spend much more than we would normally have for lunch.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Went for lunch on a Wednesday and found their special was oysters on the half shell for $1 apiece, which pretty much sold me on the place. Comfortable bar seating overlooking the salt marsh, good menu with many daily specials, good service, good sandwich -- I wish I'd gotten the cole slaw I asked for rather than the fries, but it wasn't a deal breaker, Will return next year.

1  Thank AdirondackBlue
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Food okay, service okay. Nice location. Same as all the other lobster traps in the area
Good drink.
WAY overpriced...too bad such a tourist trap