“Great place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Newton, Massachusetts
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We booked the Elmwood for three days in August and had a good experience there. We had a king room with a single bedroom, eating area, kitchen and living room. For a touristy area just before Labor Day, we felt that the $149 per night was a good value for the suite since places with less space were renting closer to $200. The rooms were spotless, cleaned daily, and comfortable. We didn't meet many of the staff, but they seemed friendly. The only thing to mar our visit was that the internet access was not working on the property while we were there. This was important to us as we were checking in with the family that way. The staff said that the technicians were working on it, so hopefully it will be fixed soon. But if it is important to you, you might want to call first. We were in Maine for the beach and hiking, so we did not take advantage of the two pools or fitness center. I think it would be great for a family and is conveniently located to stores and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ElmwoodResort, General Manager at Elmwood Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Greentree,

Thank you for your review of the Elmwood Resort Hotel.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Wells and thank you for choosing to stay at the Elmwood Resort Hotel!

Scott DeFelice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Everyone that I dealt with during the reservation process and while at the hotel was VERY polite, friendly, professional and welcoming. Just nice people and a very nice place to stay. And, extremely clean. For the person in one of the other reviews that complained about the coffee. REALLY AND ARE YOU SERIOUS !!!!. There is a sign by the coffee maker and PLEASE Dunkin Donuts is right across the street and they get more than a 1.00 for a cup of coffee. Also, you did say 400.00 for 2 nights !!!!. Did you price other hotels in the area? Eeek !!!!

Room Tip: I was in RM 104 and it was very good. But, I had the opportunity to see some of the other rooms and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
William,

Plainfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was the first time for us staying at Elmwood Resort. We normally stay at Village By The Sea which is next door but they were booked up. Elmwood was better than I had expected! I guess after staying at VBTS I was expecting less but it was just as good if not better. I stayed in a 2 bedroom at both locations.
The rooms at Elmwood have a smaller living room, kitchen area and no dining room. It did have a small eat in kitchen area whereas VBTS has a big dining room that we never used on any of the time we visited. I actually liked Elmwood better because it was smaller and cozier. The bedrooms are further away from each other so you get maximum privacy when you need it. THere was no balcony at Elmwood which we missed having. But our neighbors in the next unit were so very nice. They owned their unit and were so at home there it made me want to purchase one! They were very nice people and if we stay at Elmwood, again would love to bump into them again!
The pools were both clean and the grandkids had a great time. We all felt very safe there at all times which is important. All in all everything was perfect! Would stay there again!!
Oh yeah....the bed in the unit that we stayed in was so comfortable, I didn't want to leave!!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 211 and the bed in the downstairs bedroom was just so comfy, I didn't want to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vikcellz
Vikcellz,

NY
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have stayed here for years, the Elmwood is always our go-to hotel in Maine. Today, however, we are a little disappointed in this place. The hotel is clean, well-maintained, people are friendly, etc. Upon check-in, one notices that 4 Keurig coffee thingys are provided. Great! We have coffee for the morning and don't have to stand in line somewhere. So this afternoon after the room was cleaned I see that the cleaner "forgot" to replenish the 4 coffees. I went to the office and asked for a few for tomorrow morning. BIG SURPRISE: "we only provide the coffee for the first morning, after that, it is $1 each." Seriously?? For almost $400 for 2 nights and the Elmwood can't toss us a few coffees?? Wow. Talk about nickel and diming the customer.
Tell me, what is the difference between providing a few coffees for US on the second morning OR cleaning the room and putting in new coffees for a NEW customer? If we were only staying one night, they would still have to put in new coffees, right? Just a stupid policy that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. (but not a coffee taste!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank crickerpicker
Crickerpicker,

Berkshires
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We normally stay on the beach but our last minute plans brought me to Elmwood...
This "hotel" is actually a condo set up with individual owners basically renting out their units. This makes for a very personal setting and feeling. Our one bedroom suite had a living room, kitchen, bath and bedroom. Very nice set up. It was stocked with dishes, silverware and the like. The only way we figured out it was a condo was the note about making sure that if you visit another room, please bring the dishes back to your room.
The front desk was very nice and gave recommendations for restaurants and things to do.
The indoor and outdoor pools were available (although we didn't use them). just a short trip (2 miles) to the beach. Perfect location for trips to Kennebunkport and Ogunquit.
Well appointed hotel room and close to lots of activities and dinner options!

Room Tip: We had a room facting the rear and it was very quiet. However, all of the rooms are equally quiet f...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingRhiannan
TravelingRhiannan,

Irwin
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed there the end of June. It was so beautiful and the staff are so friendly! Made me feel that they've met us before! I recommend anyone to stay there. I did not want to leave! Perfect location if you want to go to Ogunquit and Kennebunkport! The pools both outside and inside were so clean as well as the condo! Never have I ever been in such a beautiful, cozy resort. I must say, that I was worried because it sounded to good to be true when I made our reservations, but when we arrived there, I knew when we went into the office that we were going to be happy and we were! We will be back again and stay at the Elmwood Resort again and again!

Room Tip: Stay in room 101! Big screen TV in the living room, and decorated so beautiful! Plus, you have a kin...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 400Cathy0
Irwin,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I just stayed at the Elmwood for a long weekend in mid-July and had no issues with my accommodations. This was not my first time at this facility, as over the past decade my family and I have made numerous trips to Wells and the Ogunquit & Kennebunkport area, staying at numerous hotels in the region. The Elmwood has consistently met our needs and I would not hesitate to recommend the Elmwood for all types of travelers.

I tagged along with my family on this trip, my mother and father as well as my younger brother, and we stayed in a 2 bedroom condo, with my brother sleeping on the couch in the living room area. The room was clean and fit the 4 of us well, but having more people might push it. The master bedroom was nice, and the secondary bedroom was adequate with not as nice (smaller TV) than the bigger, upstairs bedroom. Having a kitchen and entertainment area, as well as 1.5 bathrooms makes things more like home than a standard hotel room.

The overall facility is nice and well kept, and the staff were all quite pleasant. The pools are well maintained, and I was surprised for a July stay that I got both the indoor and outdoor pools to myself at points, though obviously that's not the norm in summer. As for location, I've stayed in this area dozens of times and this is perfect for trips south to Ogunquit or north to Kennebunkport. It's situated in the middle of everything, and beaches 5 minutes away. Restaurants and bars are close, and there is a Dunkin Donuts across the street or a local place next door for morning coffee, etc.

The Elmwood is a little more expensive than some lesser hotels in the area, and I have no problem paying it for the location, cleanliness, and overall attitude of the facility and the great experiences my family and I have had here over the years. I plan on returning and look forward to it.

Room Tip: I would not try to fit more than 4 people into a 2 bedroom suite, though I'm sure some might try...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KevDough
KevDough,

Scott DeFelice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells
Village by the Sea
Gorges Grant Hotel
Gorges Grant Hotel
#2 of 36 in Ogunquit
Footbridge North Hotel

Been to Elmwood Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!