“Great donuts!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Congdon's Doughnuts

Congdon's Doughnuts
Ranked #3 of 68 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We have a full-service dining room as well as take out area and a drive-thru. Our specialty is our homemade doughnuts like grandma used to make. We also have a wide selection of breads, pastries, muffins, mixes, and whoopie pies!!! We serve breakfast and lunch from 6am - 3pm. Open Thursday through Sunday weekly.
Watertown, Massachusetts
“Great donuts!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We came here for breakfast on a Sunday. I enjoyed some blueberry pancakes and real maple syrup (for an extra charge). We also took 2 donuts (I recommend the Honey Dew) to go and I ate them both within less than 6 hours. I thought they tasted great - the melt in your mouth kind of donuts. Definitely worth a try.

Visited February 2014

Dracut, Massachusetts
“An institution”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We spend most of the summer in Wells, and congdon's is our favorite place. Whether we go in for breakfast in the morning, or drive through on our way back home, we are never disappointed. There's a great family vibe there, always happy. Beware, weekends are always slammed, and especially in the summer.

• Visited May 2013
Wilmington, Massachusetts
“Great Donuts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stopped here for a quick breakfast and were pleasantly surprised! The coffee was great and the donuts and fritters were too! We will stop here again when we are in the area!

Visited March 2014
“Donuts out of this world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I buy donuts from here every Friday & take them to work. I & the people I work with LOVE THEM!! They are so yummy!! I won't buy donuts anywhere else. The staff here is extremely nice. I feel like I'm a part of the family when I go in.

• Visited February 2014
Dover, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,747 helpful votes
“WEEKEND BREAKFAST AT SOUTHERN MAINE’S DOUGHNUT PALACE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

In Maine over the weekend, I stopped at Congdon’s Doughnuts Family Restaurant & Bakery on Route 1 for a second breakfast at lunchtime. The lot was pretty full---always a good sign!

Inside, I was seated immediately by the cheerful, welcoming hostess.

The waitress was at my table offering coffee within a minute. She was back a few minutes later to see if I was ready to order. I ordered the Two Eggs & Toast at $3.99. I requested mine poached medium well. I took the multigrain bread toast. Coffee was $2.39. The coffee was very good.

My food came in about 15 minutes. It was hot. The egg yolks were a bit runny. That’s the only criticism. The whites were firm enough. The multigrain bread was homemade and home baked. It was toasted lightly and buttered lightly. It was very excellent.

The waitress was back again in a few minutes to check how everything was and then with more coffee in about 5 more minutes. I rate the service from the well-trained, skilled waitress very high.

After my meal, I went to the bakery which is off the entryway lobby. That was very interesting. Business was brisk. All the breads served in the restaurant are for sale there. And, I never saw so many doughnuts covered with sugar, frosting, and icing all together in one place before! They have the usual sugared, cinnamon, honey dipped, sugar raised, filled, and plain doughnuts. Then, there are the more exotic creations. The Bavarian Crème is Congdon’s version of Boston Cream Pie. Confetti has colorful sprinkles on one side. Other more unique offerings include Apple, Apple Fritter, Maple Crème, Blueberry, Chocolate Honey, and Buttercrunch. They also have a selection of muffins and whoopie pies. They even have Doggie Doughnuts.

The small gift shop offers different styles of T-shirts at $14.99 and $17.99, plus their own brand of scone, waffle, pancake, and muffin mixes at $3.50, travel coffee mugs at $3.49, and ceramic coffee mugs at $9.00.

I got one plain donut which I had later. The outside had a very, very thin crust. It was light on the inside. It was not the slightest bit greasy. It was very good.

It’s no wonder why Congdon's LEGENDARY donuts have won so many awards that most recently include:
One of America’s Best Doughnuts - Food & Wine Magazine
Certificate of Excellence 2012 - TripAdvisor
Certificate of Excellence 2013 - TripAdvisor
Finalist in Baby, You’re the Best - Best Donuts - NECN

It’s reported that Congdon’s can sell about 10,000 doughnuts on a rainy day in summer tourist season.

If you found this review helpful, kindly click YES below.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Maurene_K
doughlover, Owner at Congdon's Doughnuts, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Well Maurene
I can tell this isn't your first time critiquing a restaurant. Thank you for kind words as we strive for excellence everyday. The secret to a well run store is the staff and we go out of our way to find ones that care about the guest experience. Well trained staff that have a willingness to exceed the guest expectations is paramount to our success. Whenever we interview applicants I look for a sincere warm attitude for liking people and their willingness to become part of a team. Again, thanks for your words.
Gary

Been to Congdon's Doughnuts? Share your experiences!