“Since they don't have this in heaven go there now”

Congdon's Doughnuts
Ranked #3 of 69 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We have a full-service dining room as well as take out area and a drive-thru. Our specialty is our homemade doughnuts like grandma used to make. We also have a wide selection of breads, pastries, muffins, mixes, and whoopie pies!!! We serve breakfast and lunch from 6am - 3pm. Open Thursday through Sunday weekly.
Columbia, MD
“Since they don't have this in heaven go there now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Congdon's donuts are right up there with the best I've ever eaten. Whenever you are driving up route 1 in southern Maine, don't miss stopping here. They have the freshest, most delicious home-made donuts in New England. My favorite is the raspberry jelly, a fluffy, soft pillow filled to bursting with the most delicious raspberry filling imaginable. Their donuts are at least 50 per cent larger than the chain donuts, but it's the freshness which really makes the difference. The various crullers have a delicate crunch on the outside and a hint of nutmeg in their cake batter. Beyond good, these are memorable donuts in every respect. I also liked the coconut cream topped cut donuts, a taste explosion in every bite. The day I arrived at 11 a.m., the sign said they were going to close early at 2 p.m. Lucky for me, they were offering a baker's dozen for the price of a half dozen. Wow! Other than feeling guilty for the rest of the afternoon and evening for repeated visits to the box, it was a donut day to remember.

Imagine having those raspberry filled gems for dessert after eating a two-for fifteen dollar lobster lunch special in Perkins Cove's Lobster Shack. I didn't just imagine it, I did it! This was a culinary home run in anyone's book. If you are a donut aficionado and tired of the commissary mass produced stale donuts which are an insult to anyone with a memory of how great donuts are supposed to be, go to Congdon's and restore your faith in humanity.

5 Thank travelmanColumbia_MD

Beverly MA
“Put "angel wings" on those doughnuts....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Thanks to my niece, who attends my 2'nd favorite Maine college,( #1 is MMA) we stopped on the way with her Mom who had to bring doughnuts to the dorm! The best donuts I have ever eaten..so light they could almost float away. I have never been so excited about doughnuts! Coconut is usually my favorite, but the maple frosted with the vanilla cream filling is such a terrific combo of flavors I almost passed out from the taste sensation! If they had added one more squirt of that vanilla filling it would have put me "over the edge"..I was beyond happy to consume these calories! We crossed the state line 2 days later (with my husband at the wheel ) and brought home a dozen more Congdon's,...and even sampled their outstanding clam chowder. Now I am obsessed with trying that birthday cake size whoopie pie that called my name from within the pastry case....My husband's Maine grandmother made super dougnuts years ago and now we can get them at Congdon's......The people who take the orders,and the friendly waitstaff are professional, helpful, and most of all knowledgeable of their fine foods too.

1 Thank Hicocamp
Ashland, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Donuts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

This restaurant truly has the best donuts we have ever had. Fresh food, friendly staff. The apple fritters are the best.

Visited September 2013
New York
“Lunch visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

After reading all of the reviews, my husband and I stopped in for lunch yesterday. We had fried fish sandwiches....I got the wrong kind of cheese, but the sandwiches were okay. Could have been warmer. The coleslaw was good....we each got iced tea. The bill was 28.00 for two average sandwiches with coleslaw and a pickle...and two iced teas. Maybe breakfast is more worth it, but I probably wouldn't go back to find out. We bought two donuts for the road, and they were good.
Service was average.

Machias, Maine
“Congdon's is NO. 1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We go to Wells every summer, and sometimes in between, and we ALWAYS get donuts from Congdon's. THey are the BEST. Just stick with their "honey-dipped", they are like fairy cakes and melt in your mouth. They are SO light, and so sugary, I could eat and eat. The only thing like it is Krispy Kremes when they are hot. I say to my husband, "I need my celebratory, Welcome-to-Wells donut"!! We have also eaten breakfast and it's a wonderful experience with great food, and great servers......the smell of a bakery in the morning just makes people happy! Come early or the honey-dipped will all be gone. People are lined up out the door!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank soozi24

Been to Congdon's Doughnuts? Share your experiences!