“Outstanding!”

Ranked #3 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Description: We have a full-service dining room as well as take out area and a drive-thru. Our specialty is our homemade doughnuts like grandma used to make. We also have a wide selection of breads, pastries, muffins, mixes, and whoopie pies!!! We serve breakfast and lunch from 6am - 3pm. Open Thursday through Sunday weekly.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My favorite breakfast restaurant in Maine. We drive over an hour just to go there for breakfast. Yummy, full platters - love the homemade corned beef hash with two over easy eggs, sausage, home fries, grilled English muffin. Just there two days ago and also got a bakers dozen of their outstanding donuts - the best I have ever had. The food always comes out quickly, but we had time to eat one of the donuts we had bought beforehand. We each chose an apple fritter and they were still warm! So soft and tasty - the best thing I have ever eaten, period! The service is always wonderful - friendly staff who make you feel like one of their own. The rest of the donuts were eaten by the end of the day, and it was only 2 of us! You must try this excellent restaurant - it is worth the drive if you are from afar. We always get there by 8 am, otherwise, depending on the day, you will wait for a table, but grab some donuts and coffee and relax - it is definitely worth the wait. We go a few times each year and always are happy we made the trip. Did I say the donuts are the best?!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Congdon's restaurant menu contains offerings not found elsewhere on the seacoast. Along the seacoast one finds countless fried **** shacks. Congdon's is not one of them. Congdon's menu offers healthy and delicious meals fit for a Royal. These are so healthy, in fact, that my wife rarely objects to the items I select, while elsewhere I am often forced to capitulate and ask my wife to order for me.

We have never been disappointed at Congdon's. And yes, the doughnuts are superb, but please do not tell my wife I said so.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We LOVE Congdon's! Our family has been coming to Wells for my entire lifetime and more and we can't think of a better donut place anywhere! Their breakfasts are excellent, too. My son had the lobster benedict for the first time this visit, and we were all thoroughly impressed with the amount of lobster. Wow!

1  Thank Diana D
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Last weekend we were in Maine for a mini-vacation with another couple. We stayed in Ogunquit for 2 nights. Our first morning there, we opted to go out for a sit-down breakfast. The 2nd morning we were anxious to get on the road & not wanting to have a sit-down breakfast we decided to go to Congdon's Donuts. We were going to pick up donuts & coffee & head to the beach & eat there. Instead, we sat at one of the picnic tables on the grass next to their parking lot. The place was hopping! After a very short wait, the girl took our order. It's good it took a couple of minutes before we got waited on because there was so much to see & so many different types of pastries to choose from! We all ordered 2 donuts each! Of our group, there were a total of 4 Apple Fritters ordered, 2 glazed, a cruller with fudgy chocolate on it & a raspberry Bismarck. Everything was totally delicious! We had never tasted donuts that were so soft & airy. If you go there & you like sweet-tasting donuts-try the Bismarck-they're also available in lemon...out of this world!
There was one complaint from the Apple Fritter fans-the donut itself was wonderful, but each fritter literally had one chunk of apple in it. That was quite a disappointment. My husband was going to go back in & mention that, but by the time we sat outside & the fritter-eaters realized this, the line had gotten very long & otherwise they were very happy with the flavor & texture of the fritters. All-in-all a wonderful donut-dining experience! The coffee was great, too!
They also had many desserts. As you walk in, there was a whole case with Whoopie Pies of all different types in it. They even had the Whoopie Pie cakes! The front of the building is the donut shop & there is also a dining room that serves full breakfasts.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our family enjoyed the variety of donuts and the fantastic flavors. We also loved that we got a bakers dozen of donuts, it is so nice to get an extra that you are not expecting!!

Been to Congdon's Doughnuts? Share your experiences!