“Always a WINNER!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We dine here often...and as innkeepers, we suggest this restaurant to everyone looking for a memorable dinner experience....our only problem is that when they are able to get squeezed in, they want to go back again the next night....!!!! Our B&B alone could fill this restaurant every night....but by the time the guests check in, it may be too late to get a reservation so we have been telling guests to let us know when they make their reservation with us in the future, to add "...please reserve a table at Joshua's for us also!"

Reviewed August 10, 2014

The food here is excellent. We went with a party of six. You need to make reservations weeks ahead. The restaurant is small. Our party tried a variety of dishes from filet mignon, roast duck, pasta and baked haddock. The food was cooked to perfection and was wonderful. All homemade ingredients. Our favorite rest. in Wells. Nice wine selection too.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Joshua's was recommended by a friend who LOVES the place. We arrived 1/2 hour early, thinking they could seat us early or we'd sit at the bar and have a drink. Bad decision...the bar is used as dining space. We were in everyone's way so after getting our drinks, when seats did open up, we sat down. However, we were promptly asked to get up so that they could seat people who wanted to eat. NEVER have we had that happen before in an "upscale" restaurant. Once we were seated for dinner, our server was cordial and competent. We ordered salads and entrees. My beet and spinach salad was very good, but, it was mounded on a too-small plate, the beets were not bite sized, needed to be cut and were hidden under the greens. My criticism is that beets stain clothing easily. So, if serving them, they should be cut by the chef to an edible size or if not, put visibly on a plate large enough to cut them without spilling the salad onto the table and perhaps my lap. Joshua's states clearly on their website that they are a "slow-food" restaurant and a pet peeve I have is "rushed" courses. I was extremely surprised to have my salad plate removed and my entree set in front of me with no "breather" between courses. My salmon & shrimp chef special was okay, but the salmon was too heavily salted. The home grown vegetables were outstanding. My husband had a chicken and pasta dish which had several pieces of chicken cartilage in the mix. Our server took too long to return to check and see if all was well. Perhaps we hit Joshua's on a bad night, but regardless, we won't return. We prefer other restaurants in the area that are superior to this one.

3  Thank carowal
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Joshua understands about using quality seasonal ingredients, balance of flavor and presentation of food in a very charming environment. I cannot say enough about how refreshing it is to really "taste" the food. Joshua needs to prove nothing to anyone about wonderful a chef he is. The home baked "everything"from the bread to desserts are perfection. Leave room for each course as nothing should be missed!

1  Thank Pencilart
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Once again we made our special trip to New England, we pre booked our meal at Joshua's
2 weeks in advance, taking no chances in missing out on the culinary delights that are served up
time & time again in this 1st class establishment, my tip is to try sitting at the bar if it is your 1st visit, it truly allows one to absorb the ambiance to the full.

1  Thank Bob C