“our favorite restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Joshua's
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Troy, New York
“our favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

A year ago in 2012, we visited Joshuas on the recommendation of the hotel where we were staying. We had such a perfect meal we went back the following night. This year we are planning another visit to Maine and have already called ahead to make sure we'll be able to enjoy two more evenings of dining! The quality of ingredients, fresh and seasoned perfectly brought quiet but audible oohs and aahs from us. The waitress even asked us as one point if we were okay!!!! We were in food heaven. We tried different things each night and weren't disappointed.

• Visited April 2012

“Amazing...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful evening at the bar at Joshua's. We did not have reservations when we went in, but the team promptly made a place for us at the bar. The food was amazing, the staff very attentive and fun. At the end of the evening we were joined by Joshua and his parents. Very nice time!

Kennebunk, Maine, United States
“three strikes and you're out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I tried eating here 4 years ago after hearing nothing but rave reviews, well lets just say those reviews are not the experience I had. I ordered the duck as I have always enjoyed it at many other restaurants,It started great, the waiter was nice and polite and attentive. I ordered the duck medium rare and a drink special they had advertised. The drink came first and was really just vodka with orange juice that they had given a fancy name. Then came the duck,, a black burned, well done piece of something, was it duck? I don't know, it was so charred it tasted horrible. I politely asked the waiter if this was medium rare, he said let me double check with the chef.he came back acting nervous and said the chef assured him it was medium rare. WOW I left and thought everyone has bad nights. I made the mistake a couple years later to take my family here while they were visiting from California, they have friends here who convinced them they must try it, dragging my feet I agreed. this time I tried the haddock, hard ti mess haddock up right? WRONG! after our round of drinks (which were better than the last time I tried this place) Our food arrived, my haddock was seasoned with extreme amounts of salt, killing any taste of fish. It was so dry the edges were hard and honestly, it looked like something that had been frozen at one point because of how dry and hard the edges were.Two out of five us enjoyed our meals, I will give them that. Now after all this you would never return right? well I can say third time was more of my own curiosity to find could this place really be this bad after all the great reviews it has? This time I went with my girl friend and I ordered the filet and she ordered the chicken. Again I ordered this medium rare. we enjoyed a bottle of merlot and while doing so George and Barbra Bush arrived! I thought yes this place must have improved if its good enough for a president. although we ordered as they were seated their meals were delivered long before ours. we waited nearly an hour for our entrees while the chef was in the dining room arrogantly strutting about. he touched a few tables but not ours. who's cooking our overpriced meals while the chef is glad handing i wondered. once we did finally recieve our meals we were less than impressed. melancholy is a good word to describe my filet and my companions chicken resembled something you can find in the frozen food section at hannaford. presentation was poor. taste was bland. third strike joshuas. you're out. on a final note i realized how has this menu not changed when they claim to have fresh locally sourced products.

• Visited August 2012
7 Thank Jim W
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Top notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went to Joshua's for a Valentine's Day dinner. The atmosphere was very relaxing and exactly what I had in mind. Other viewers have complained that children are not permitted at this restaurant and I completely agree with that policy. I have three children of my own, so it cannot be said that I am not a "kid person". This is a very nice, dimmly lit, romantic place for couples to truly enjoy their dinning experience. We started off with a drink recommendation by our wonderful and experienced server. She recommended the Blood Orange Cosmopolitan, which were light and flavorful. I later had a dirty martini and they were kind enough to stuff the olives for me, which some places won't. We had the mushrooms for an appetizer and they were excellent. For a main course, I had the duck, which was by far the best I have ever had. I was leary because duck can sometimes be heavy and slightly greasy. This was cooked to perfection, was not greasy at all, and was beyond flavorful. My wife had the filet mignon, which was also cooked to perfection. The portions are generous. You will not be sorry. I had the pleasure of meeting the Chef / Owner on our way out. He was humble and very gracious. Joshua's will certainly be on our list to visit everytime we are in town.

Ottawa
“Just amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to Joshua's last night and loved it!! We had tiger shrimp and crab cakes for our starters and the filet mignon and the haddock for our mains. Everything was perfect. The atmosphere was intimate, unassuming and relaxing, and our server (Jen) was fantastic--she is so clearly good at her job. We're going back, for sure. We really cannot say enough good things about this place!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Joshua's? Share your experiences!