“just wrong” 1 of 5 bubbles

Joshua's
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sanford, Maine
“just wrong”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

A place that doesn't welcome children. That is just rude. If you don't want families then maybe you should make it 21 plus, just awful and unwelcoming people.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank nicole d

Toronto
“Seriously.....?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

.....I say to those who complained about portion size. I ordered the swordfish special and was very pleased with the portion. As one reviewer stated, swordfish is often over cooked and dry. Joshua's cooked it to perfection.

I really needed to check my sarcasm for this review--that which would be directed at my fellow reviewers. Suffice to say, this is not a place for children or those who biggie size their meal at McD.

With great respect, Joshua's is not a fine dining experience. Please let me expand on this statement, and to be very clear, simply my opinion. The food is fresh and prepared excellently. The breads were so very tasty; and the desserts! I have eaten creme brûlée in many places and this is certainly one if the finest I have eaten. I was disappointed that they had run out of the corn chowder, and I do agree with another reviewer who stated this should not happen. Alas, that is life.

I found our waitress very engaging. Service was attentive, yet not overbearing. She discussed a number of the entrees with insight that indicated she was interested in the food the restaurant prepared and sincerely wanted to assist in my selection of a meal that would meet my expectations this evening. Yes, I did need to top my own wine glass, but this was not a show stopper for me. A dining experience is not simply 'all about me'. Dining is an interaction with another human being who has emotions and feelings like us. As a diner, you reap what you sew.

Joshua's has a very unique atmosphere. If you read on their website, about the family and this house that serves as their restaurant, you may better understand the bucolic decor. The night we dined at Joshua's it was oddly noisy from what we were expecting. This was a welcome atmosphere for us, as it seemed people were simply enjoying the company of friends.

Joshua's is an eclectic blend of fine dining and country tavern. My wife grew up on a farm and stated that she felt as if she was sitting in a farmhouse enjoying a home cooked meal. To me, this is what Joshua's is trying offer the dining public, a very unique alternative.

Will we return to Joshua's? We have a few 'must visit' restaurants for cities to which we travel and Joshua's will surely be added to our list.

Clarence Center, New York
“Worth every penny!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Excellent on every aspect! Food quality was superb, service was excellent. The atmosphere was classy/casual to upscale without being pretentious. We will definitely go back on our next trip to Maine!

Warwick, Rhode Island
“Adults only, please”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We chose Joshua's as our anniversary night dinner and this was our second time there. It was a welcome change to go to a restaurant that caters to the adult crowd, with no screaming/whining kids in sight or chicken fingers strewn on the floor. We forgot to make a reservation, but happily sat at a table in the bar area, which was cozy and intimate. The food was delicious and portioned well. The creme brulee was easily the best I've ever had. We will definitely be back!

Canandaigua
“Absolutely the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We ate at Joshua's last May when we were in Maine, and the meal was fantastic! So, on our trip back to Maine (8 hours from home) this past week, we couldn't wait to go back there. We were looking forward to another great meal. Once again, it was phenomenal - the very best filet mignon we have ever had - "melt-in-your-mouth" tender and so delicious, creamy mashed potatoes, perfectly cooked vegetables! Everything is so fresh! The anadama bread is wonderful! Our waiter was most accommodating. Dinner at Joshua's is now one of the highlights of any of our trips to Maine!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Joshua's? Share your experiences!