“Would not go back!”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Would not go back!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was our 2nd time at Joshua's. 1st time we sat at the bar and didnt have the pleasure (NOT) of experiencing the Hostess (who is the owner) or the inside of the restaurant. It's small, simple and not very welcoming. When the reservation was made, we were told they do NOT have high chairs OR a kids menu. I have never experienced such a thing from Boston to Europe. Arent we in Maine in a mostly family vacation area??? We had to bring a chair to strap onto a chair which is far more disrupting to fellow diners than placing my child in a high chair. It was obvious the owner did not want us there and yet we were guests of people who have eaten there dozens and dozens of times through the years. The drink special wasnt great and nobody finished it but what was unbelievable was the portion of the food we were served. I had the swordfish special which I dont even know if it measured 3 ounces. At 1st sight, since it was cut in a traingle, I thought maybe 3 medallions of swordfish may have been piled on the tiny amount of vegetables. Turns out their was 1. And for a restaurant who serves their own fresh grown veggies, wouldnt you expect a nice healthy amount to eat? I couldnt even tell you what they were because they were diced so small and the amount was so small, I had no idea. The flavor was good. So its too bad. The waiter was good, but you could tell he was scared stiff>> probably afraid to loose his job should he make a mistake. This was not a place that made you feel like you could enjoy your meal and your surroundings. We honestly couldnt wait to leave and felt bad that the dinner cost so much for what we were actually served. It says on their website it is a slow meal restaurant, yet it was obvious they wanted to turn tables. The bread was removed before our Aunt even had a chance to finish hers and she actually had to tell the waiter we wanted to sit for a minute to talk since he was hovering by the table. Meanwhile our 3 year old son sat quiet as a mouse as even he felt how uncomfortable the atmosphere was. What's funny is we actually ASKED to have dinner there seeing as our experience at the bar was much better. We will not ask to go again and we are left wondering who exactly they think they are to act so high and mighty. We have eaten at far nicer restaurants where they actually welcomed you and appreciated your business. (some within a 5 minute drive of this restaurant). Overall, major disappointment.

• Visited October 2012
10 Thank CMD1313

Pleasant Grove, Utah, United States
“Wow, The Best!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Joshua's was possibly the best restaurant experience I and my family have ever had. The food was so amazing and the waitresses were awesome and very personable. I had the Filet and it was simply amazing. Others in my party had the duck and loved it.

2 Thank JedJA
Ogunquit
“Living up to expectation!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

After many failed plans to make it to Joshua's and too many years later, I finally made it and it totally lived up to all my expectations! The food was amazing! I had the duck, my friends the filet and lamb. All were absolutely mouth watering and melted in my mouth. We had a lovely organic Pinot Noir from New Zealand that satisfied all our pallets and paired well with our food. The atmosphere is warm and Parker is a terrific server. Thank you for a great evening.

1 Thank torrij2000
Austin, Texas
“Excellent - again!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We first ate at Joshua's in July and found it to be among the best meals we've ever had. With that type of expectation, I was hopeful the second time would be as good, but mindful that sometimes it's hard to repeat great experiences. Joshua's however, did not disappoint. I had one of the best tomato soups I've ever had--made with Joshua's own fresh mozzarella. Not at all heavy--just delicious. I had the vegetarian pasta dish again--different from the first time but every bit as good. This time, my husband had the filet mignon and reported it to be one of the best he has ever had. This time, too, Joshua's had their famed blueberry cosmo--wow! Thank you, Joshua's, for another great meal!

Ottawa, Canada
“Great rack of lamb”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have been going to Ogunquit for many years and for the first time some friends told us about Joshua.
When it is a Tuesday in september and you need a reservation this is because it is a good restaurant.
I had the rack of lamb just pink like I asked and my husband had the best filet mignon.Their bread is homemade and they have differend varieties.
They have an extensive wine list.
Professionnal and friendly service and nice atmosphère in an old renovated house.
A restaurant to discover.
Will go back next year.