“Negative TEN stars”
Review of Tallwood Motel

Tallwood Motel
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. We arrived to this motel and thought it looked quite charming from the outside. It was late in the evening and they had one room left. "How lucky are we", or so we thought!

Upon entering our room we were faced with a room reminiscent of the Bates Motel. The room reeked of urine...to the point I had to go outside and take a deep breath before re-entering. I pulled the sheets back and flying bugs were flying around the room. Not flies but like a tiny moth. I'm an insect-phobe. This place was NOT going to work. A damp, bug infested room that smelled like urine for $110? I think not. Oh! The air conditioner didn't have knobs so you had to unplug it from wall if you needed to turn it on or off.

We go to the office. Locked and dark. Ring bell for a good five minutes, no answer. Call the phone number. No answer.

I slept in the car. My husband slept in the room. He said, "I'm so tired, I'll just sleep and take a nice hot shower in the morning and we will head out". So, 7am I hear a tap on the car door window. My husband reports, I hope you didn't want to shower (shower? I wouldn't even PEE in that bathroom). Come to find out..,,ere was just a pipe coming out of the wall of the shower wall....no shower head. So he took a washcloth and decided to wing it with hot soapy water in the sink.....NO HOT WATER!!!

Back to the office in the morning..,,,NO ONE ANSWERED! These folks are no fools. Take the money and run. They should be ASHAMED of themselves!.

Room Tip: Keep driving past this place. I wouldn't even give this place one star!
Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jena530
There are newer reviews for Tallwood Motel

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I cannot believe that these people were so friendly that when we needed a car repair, they actually repaired our car too. ... and provided everything else we requested. We wanted to visit Ogonquit, Kennybunkport, and the Rachel Carson convservatory and they were right in the middle of all three - and near the Laudham Farm which has hiking trails to the ocean. Perfect location. If we had stayed in Kennybunkport or Ogonquit we might have spend literally three times as much money on a room the same size...and it was more peaceful and less crowded at Tallwoods in Wells. And as a swimmer I found the pool to be terrific for laps as well as children. This is the best value and location possible to meet our needs. And the #1 rated diner (which unforuntatlely often has 30 minute line waits but is worth it) is just up the street a 5-10 minute walk. Great value and fine people. TC and EF

Room Tip: Our room seemed fine... I think the rooms are all about the same ??? They look similar form the outs...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom C
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Honestly I am a pretty picky person. Our room with the king bed was still occupied at check in. He wanted to upgrade us to 2 queens. I wasn't okay with that and threatened to go somewhere else. He then dropped the
Price to 79 a night for me. Room was super clean (room 34). There was
An overpowering perfume smell which gave me
A headache but cleared out once we figured out it was coming from the AC filter.'they must put soap in it to make the room smell clean. We washed
It out and told
Them
Not to clean our room until we
Left. Beds were
Okay. Pool was awesome! Goes to 9ft deep. Shower was smaller than our cruise ship shower. All in all we would probably return. Can't beat the price!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank kate16b182
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Tallwood is gorgeous! I was on the way back from a trip in New England and wanted to stay here because it is located in the heart of old-town Maine. So much history and culture around the motel, it made the whole experience that much better. The motel is surrounded by a variety of antique shops that you can spend hours walking through and browsing. Great day-time fun.

The actual room was also very satisfactory. My bed was comfortable (a huge plus) with clean and fresh-smelling sheets. They had a helpful and friendly front desk to check me in. The bathroom was clean and the housekeeping was readily available for any maintenance or need (towels and such). Overall a very satisfactory experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Maria H
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was on a trip and needed to find a place to spend the night. I found this motel and stayed the night there. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable for me to get a good night sleep. There were some other guests that were making some noise and the manager went and quieted them down rather quickly. Good value with friendly staff. I would stay there again if I had the chance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ken G
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The staff was nowhere to be found. Evidently resides upstairs above the front desk. You can hear them, but ignore guests lingering at the desk waiting to check in. Internet connectivity is sporadic. The grounds are pleasant, and the surroundings purely old-fashioned Maine, which is wonderful. But, the staff at this motel is not worth the effort to unpack your luggage. Travel up the road and find better places in either direction on Post Road.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Walker G
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Nasty place stay away i now a couple people that work there and they never got paid still fighting to get there money its a dump the girls work hard to try and clean only with the cheap stuff they have to clean with save your money go some place else. They dont pay there help

• Stayed: October 2012