“You get what you pay for.....and still paid TOO high”

The Coast Village Inn & Cottages
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Cleveland, Tennessee
“You get what you pay for.....and still paid TOO high”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband booked this Inn before ready the reviews on tripadvisor for not only us but four other family members meeting us there from New York. The room was clean but the facility NEEDS updating with bedding and flooring. They had told my husband day of booking that the carpets had recently been cleaned but they were sticky to walk on.

Room Tip: If you don't have high expectations and don't care about quality, then this is your place...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We made reservations through hotel.com and they messed up every thing. Turns out the price was double what they quoted. Hotel.com did not help us at all. we called the hotel and they took care of us giving us the rooms at the price quoted. The staff was fantastic, the room was super clean and roomy. They allowed our dog who enjoyed it too. Huge field in back for him to run. Nice pool and a BBQ area where you can BBQ if you like. Only surprise was that there was no coffee pot in the room, but I don't drink coffee anyways. I will deffinately stay there again. I go to Wells about 4 times a year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Medford
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We have been coming o The Coast Village Inn and Cottage Inn for 12 years or more. We come in July for a week and September for a week every year. We really enjoy ourselves very much. Taylor and Megan Duffy bought the Inn 9 years ago. They are special people and they take great pride in their property.

We have stayed in the hotel rooms for many years and it has always been clean and friendly. Now last year we decided on a Cottage. We were so happy with it that we stayed for 2 weeks again.

We are already planning for 2013 already. The secretaries are wonderful, cheerful and helpful. The place is very clean with a big pool that we enjoy. They have cleaning people who are so good and friendly. We just love it here.

Room Tip: The staff is knowledgeable about the particulars of each room, cottage and suite. If you have a par...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marianne B
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I and my parents rented cabins #8 and #9 at the Coastal Village Inn this weekend. The office staff and cleaning staff that I met was extremely friendly and helpful. We chose this hotel because it was one of a few that allowed dogs (which we consider part of our family). Unlike other places that we have stayed that have made us feel like criminals for wanting to bring our pets, the Coastal Village in was very accommodating, even going as far as to offer a blanket, biscuits and cleaning towel to our puppy. While dogs are allowed, the property and cottages were still very clean. We have stayed in numerous cabins in Maine and they are all the same. They may be outdated, but that is the nature of a quaint Maine cottage. For the price, these cottages were very clean and served our purposes as a place to sleep between going to the beach and eating seafood. The only request that I would have is to maybe add AC to all of the cottages. It was an unusually hot and humid weekend. The fans helped but AC would be better. Overall, we had a great trip and enjoyed the cottage very much. We hope to come back soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
thetjd, Owner at The Coast Village Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Kristen. Thank you for your kind words. It is important to note, that we only have certain units we allow pets in. I don't want people thinking we allow pets in all our rooms. We have five of, what we call "overnight cottages". These cottages are very small, only large enough for 2 people and they are the least expensive of our units, because of the size and because they are the only units we cannot put a/c in at this time. It is an electrical requirement that would be very much cost prohibitive. We have 30 units and these 5 are the only ones without it, so I might suggest that you upgrade to a unit with a/c on your next visit. It is very clear on our website that these units don't have a/c, that is why it is somewhat surprising to see someone mention it as if it should have been included. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do many improvements every year. We hope to have you again!
Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2012

After having a wonderful time here last year my family couldn't wait to come back. To our great disappointment it wasn't the wonderful welcoming stay that we had remembered. Me, still being a “neat freak” I can tell you that for the most part it was clean. Yes even the air conditioner was very clean just as Taylor had noted in another response. In my rating for cleanliness please note that if it weren't for a couple things it would have been excellent. There were a few things that needed a little work. The bedrooms and bathroom were both spotless!!!! But on the plus side the beds were better than last year and the water temperature while showering didn't fluctuate as drastically as last year. The owners care deeply about this property but I'm not so sure about the rest of the staff. Oh just in case you need 2 dresser's there is only 1 in cabin #4.

Room Tip: If you need A/C make sure you get the larger cottages or a room in the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mindy stayed with us last year. We ran out of hot water because our oil company dropped the ball. We were out for maybe a little over an hour. Although this is no fault of our own, we know that we must try to keep our customers happy, so last year my manager decided to give her daily service in the housekeeping cottage she rented. This is something that we do not, and have never done in these cottages. Generally, when you rent a cottage, we provide all that you need for the week and change out your towels and garbage only daily. I believe she came back this year expecting the same treatment, so I am assuming my manager last year did not explain that she was taking "extra good" care of her last year. Either way, this was a miscommunication that may have set a bad tone. She called my wife directly a while after her stay and let her know what her complaints were and we did the only thing we could, which was apologize and offer her some kind of discount for her next stay with a promise of a different experience. I don't know if she is coming back, but we would be happy to have the opportunity to get her back to happy!
west rutland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

No other motels in the area had vacancies, but this one did have one room, that should have told me something, But I had stayed here several years ago and it was acceptable at that time, so I took the room for 2 nights. I knew there was no smoking in the room, but also knew it had entrance to outside so expected to be able to step outside to smoke. They claimed Maine law prohibits smoking within 20 feet of building and required LONG walk to smoking area by the pool. I checked Maine smoking laws. There is no such prohibition. Info on their signs is just a lie, a blatant lie to inconvenience guests. Free wifi was advertised, but I could not get a connection. I had to go to the office, quite a walk, but no one answered phone when I tried to call and have them reboot their system to get a connection, but that was a waste of time. slowest internet connection I have ever experienced. Took 90 seconds or more to load the simplest pages. Even slower than dial-up. And to plug in the laptop required climbing up over the entertainment center to get to a plug in. Easier to use my iphone with 3G than my laptop. with their wifi. The bed was awful, big crevice in the center and my husband and I kept falling into it. Gravity made it impossible to stay on either side of the bed. Air conditioner is in a window in a small useless room between the bedroom and bathroom. Cools that room nicely, but very poor job of cooling the sleeping area. The grout in the tile behind the ghastly Pepto Bismol pink sink hasn't been cleaned in years, the outside bottom of the shower stall had fungus growing on it. Nowhere in the shower to put a bar of soap or bottle of shampoo. Heck, they could buy a 99 cent suction cup soap dish, TV must have been 25 years old. Less than 19". I can''t remember last time I watched a screen so small. Very high, too high of a step up into the room. With a drink or 2, it would be dangerous. The price of the room was $80 a night, about $20 cheaper than most similar motels in the area and the location was perfect for us, right there on Route 1 and close to restaurants and stores. All I can say, is you have a choice, any other choice in the area, take it. You couldn't do worse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank itzbeth
, Owner at The Coast Village Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
This is a typical review written by an angry smoker. We have gone way out of our way to make our smoking policies clear, on our site, in our office and on the phone. You need to smoke in the smoking area only and of course it is Maine state law that you cannot smoke within 20 feet of a structure. This person did not look into anything. I'm sorry she had to walk 50 feet to smoke, but she could have stayed some place that didn't care about their other customers very easily. Unfortunately, some smokers just feel entitled to smoke where ever they want and of course throw their cigarette butts all over my property, including our flower pots and lawn, thinking of course that magical ferries come to pick them up in the night. If you don't like the smoking policy, stay some where else. To show how far off this lady is, she mentioned how dirty the grout was in the bathroom - these are vinyl panels with fake tile imprints in them. THERE IS NO GROUT! and of course it is clean, as we keep our rooms very clean.
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We had a pleasant stay here for one night. It was our first time in the area and the location of the Inn is very convenient but on the main road. The staff is very friendly and the pool is great. The rooms are not the fanciest but I would say it is what I would expect for under $100. This is a good place to stay if you are on a budget or just need to crash for a night. I wouldn't recommend staying for several days as a summer vacation destination.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back, away from the road to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Almost all the motels in Wells are along route 1. Many of them being much closer to the road than any of my units. The building with the most units is our back motel and it is farther away from the road. I think that this review is a little insulting to the many families that come and stay with us very happily every year for a week or more. I believe we have more than many hotels in this area and have gone our of our way to make sure that we do. We have open acreage for playing volley ball, catch, frisbee, you name it. We have a great beach entry pool made for children to be safe and enjoy playing in the water. We have gas grills, free of charge, for all our guests. We provide coffee in the morning and we are close to most things you would want to see in the area. This person may not have been aware of the fact that we have many different kinds of accommodations, including cottages with kitchens and some suites. Come stay with us. You won't regret it.