“Tourist trap - nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Maine Diner

Maine Diner
Ranked #6 of 68 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Diner, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston
“Tourist trap - nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

We decided to try the Maine Diner while vacationing in Wells after watching a great review on the Phantom Gourmet. Once again the Phantom gourmet steers us wrong (Guessing that the Maine Diner advertises on the PG and buys their good reviews as usual). First of all, you would expect an extensive menu at a diner. Not the case here. Next, the eating area is small and crowded and we were sat at a tiny table between the bar and booths with traffic flying by in both directions the entire time. Now the food. Codfish cakes can only be described as a coaster-sized deep fried mashed potato pancake. Chowder came out slightly warmer than room temperature. Beans were okay. Mac and cheese was okay but not very flavorful and I ended up adding Tobasco. Portions were adequate. We're not big portion people so that was fine with us. But for folks who like to eat until they they can't stand up and take a doggie bag home, you might be disappointed. Blueberry pie desert was fine. Again, nothing special. The one positive was our waitress. She was very sweet and accommodating and service was fast. In summary, if you are expecting a real diner like the ones in New Jersey for instance, this is not even close. The Maine Diner is nothing special.

1 Thank fandango1

Northborough, Massachusetts
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

As someone who has been going to Wells for the past 15 years, I've tried the Maine Diner a couple of times. I wouldn't call it the #1 restaurant in Wells.

The food is pretty good, but I wouldn't wait 2 hours for it. It's your classic diner food, with a lot of seafood choices. They do what they do well.

I wouldn't make a special trip out of this restaurant either. If you're in the area for a week, it's worth a try.

Vermont
“All Hype”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

After reading all the reviews and hearing about the Maine Diner on the Today show we decided to try it. Bad decision. First of all, there was a wait for dinner but we were not allowed to wait inside. We had to wait outside in the heat. Then 5 people were stuffed into a booth made for 4. The service, while good, was rushed. They definitely wanted you in and out. The food was terrible. There were 5 in our party and we each ordered a different dinner. None were very good. Live and learn.

Brattleboro, Vermont
“Good Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

This is a good value diner type of food. We only have eaten here for breakfast so can't say much for anything else on the menu especially since we are vegetarians. I have to say I am not exactly sure why everyone comes here but I seem to do the same thing at least once when I am in maine and stop by. The food is slightly above average and the wait is usually not to bad. If you are just looking for a big selection of options this may be your place.

7 Thank sVT_traveler
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Enjoyed it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2007

After hearing about The Maine Diner on The Phantom Gourmet we decided we had to give it a try on our spur of the moment Maine trip. We were there on Tuesday August 1,2007 at about 2pm. The place was busy. There was a wait of about 20 minutes. Lucky for us there were two empty seats at the counter!

We really enjoyed our seat at the counter. The staff was friendly & efficient. We were caught up with being in Maine at The Maine Diner and ordered lobster. My husband ordered the "Jim Nantz" which was a cup of their seafood chowder & a lobster roll. I ordered the lobster pie. This came with a large corn muffin, a starch side & a vegetable side. Our bill with tip was $50+. Considering that it was the summer in Maine at a popular place serving lobster we did not think it to be too bad.

The food was very good. Also, due to where we were seated, we saw many orders coming out of the kitchen. Everything looked wonderful. Nothing sat under the heat lamps. The staff was very quick to get things moving. As I said earlier we were caught up in the moment. We spend our summers on Cape Cod. We enjoy buying lobsters at the pound & steaming them at home. We normaly do not order lobster when out. That being said we did enjoy our meal. Both the lobster pie & lobster roll were chock full of lobster meat not fillers.

I would go back to eat there again. I would not order lobster anything. I would go with the diner theme & order diner food. Being from another summer tourist spot we are sensitive to "tourist traps". This place is not in any way shape or form a tourist trap. The biggest reason, many locals were there eating along side the tourists. We sat next to two locals who were there enjoying the "daily special". Also, the servers seemed to know many people by name but that did not lead to anyone receiving preferential treatment. The service was very fast & courteous for everyone.

The gentleman seated next to us had ordered a cod fish cake. He was most unhappy with the cod fish cake as, to him, it only tasted of potato. The server was very kind to him. Removed it from his bill & quickly had the kitchen make something else for him. The server stayed on top of the situation until the customer had hot food in front of him. He requested an order of Mac & Cheese. It looked delicious & he said it was delicious!

I am glad we went to The Maine Diner. I would go back again. I would not order lobster. I would order diner type food.

9 Thank Sarah R

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!