“Average place to eat”

Ranked #9 of 75 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Maine Diner has been a local institution since 1982, that has brought people from all over the country to experience good home cooking. They have been featured on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives on the Food Network as well as the Phantom Gourmet. They offer breakfast, lunch and Dinner with daily specials. So if you are heading into Maine or out of Maine,make the Maine Diner a stop along the way. We are conveniently located off the Maine turnpike Exit 19 coming from the south and Exit 25 if coming form the north
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I always beleive you have to try local places like this rather than the chains restaurauntss. I think you have to take the diner for what it is - a diner. Average food, average value. There isn't anything wrong with that. The food was served quickly and efficiently and was enjoyable. Wait staff was a bit hurried although the restauraunt wasn't busy. I also heard that Food Network is featuring the diner on Drivers, Dine-In's, and Dives.

If you are in town, I suggest giving it a try - just keep in mind that it's diner food.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,306)

Reviewed February 12, 2010

We have dined at the Maine Diner many times and I have wanted to write my review (for some time) to offset the few reviews which are not favorable. The Maine Diner is what it is...a traditional diner with counter and stools...old fashioned booths, several tables, good service, and a substantial menu packed with treaditional Maine seafood and all the comfort foods you remember. The food is home cooking style with several surprising twists. I always order the She-Crab Soup, which is excellent and the Lobster Pie (a signature dish)...Other meals ordered here by family members and friends have been the franks and beans, Yankee pot roast, macaroni and cheese (made fresh daily and it's so good)...in fact, the waitress suggested we get the appetizer version as it would be more than enough for an entree...she was right! Everyone also gets fresh baked hot cornbread. The desserts are also homemade and the chocolate cake is one the best around...a favorite of my daughter-in-law and my husband...the blueberry pie is delicious, but we usually get the desserts to go to have later or the next day! They also have puddings, ice cream, strawberry shortcake, and several other pie selections. The wait staff are all very friendly and efficient and do everything they can to make the experience a pleasant one...continually refilling coffee, sodas, and iced tea...You never have to ask! The diner can be crowded in the summer months, but the wait is well worth it. On one of our visits, we met a man and his mother who travel from Massachusetts every Saturday night (for over 10 years) to dine here...even in bad weather, they make the drive. Their favorites are the fried clams and the macaroni and cheese (entree served with a portion of meat). All in all, this is a fun Maine experience...where everyone is most welcome and the food is really hearty and good.

Reviewed February 9, 2010

This is overall an average experience. The food is good, service is the same. You'd be safe to eat here at any time of the day (Breakfest, lunch or dinner). It is a diner, so you know the atmosphere your getting into before you enter. It can get loud if it's a full house and seating can be somewhat tight.

Not recommended for lare groups.

Reviewed January 27, 2010

Went for a late lunch,2pm,Wed.,maybe 5 other couples,service was fast,rueben sandwich good,haddock sandwich-good but extremely hot-unfortunately after I ate my haddock sandwich I found a dead ladybug upside beside my pickle which I was going to eat last but I didn't ,we showed it to the waitress and she said -oh it must have been in with the pickles,"I will mention it to my Boss.Well I guess no one cared because no one came over to say that they were sorry or offered to make any compensation.We had pie-3.50 and sundae special 4.95,along with 2 coffees-came to around 37.00-it was my Birthday lunch with a friend so I didn't want her to feel bad-but bugs on my plate,I cannot stand.Prices have gone up-food quality and quantity down I live in Maine and go to quite a few restaurants.For good lobster stew for taste and 13.00 for a bowel go to Dilmillos Restaurant boat-that is the only item there I can truly recommend plus free easy parking which is hard to find in the old port area of Portland,Maine.The Maine Diner has gone down in flavor and cost-needs alot of work for the upcoming tourist season.

Reviewed January 23, 2010

We never would have taken a second look at this restaurant had it not been recommended HIGHLY by the owners of the B&B where we stayed. Even with that recommendation we were still blown away by the food. The lobster pie is a must. The lobster stew was stunning. The hot lobster roll was...was...beyond words. No other lobster roll in Maine can come close. And that's just dinner.

We got a slice of the blueberry pie to go because we had no room for dessert but had to have some. When we did finally eat it a few hours later, it was the perfect finish to the meal.

During high season, expect a wait of at least 30 minutes—but it's worth twice the wait.

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!