“Price and expectations: Equal”
Review of Maine Diner

Maine Diner
Ranked #8 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed February 9, 2010

This is overall an average experience. The food is good, service is the same. You'd be safe to eat here at any time of the day (Breakfest, lunch or dinner). It is a diner, so you know the atmosphere your getting into before you enter. It can get loud if it's a full house and seating can be somewhat tight.

Not recommended for lare groups.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,109)

Reviewed January 27, 2010

Went for a late lunch,2pm,Wed.,maybe 5 other couples,service was fast,rueben sandwich good,haddock sandwich-good but extremely hot-unfortunately after I ate my haddock sandwich I found a dead ladybug upside beside my pickle which I was going to eat last but I didn't ,we showed it to the waitress and she said -oh it must have been in with the pickles,"I will mention it to my Boss.Well I guess no one cared because no one came over to say that they were sorry or offered to make any compensation.We had pie-3.50 and sundae special 4.95,along with 2 coffees-came to around 37.00-it was my Birthday lunch with a friend so I didn't want her to feel bad-but bugs on my plate,I cannot stand.Prices have gone up-food quality and quantity down I live in Maine and go to quite a few restaurants.For good lobster stew for taste and 13.00 for a bowel go to Dilmillos Restaurant boat-that is the only item there I can truly recommend plus free easy parking which is hard to find in the old port area of Portland,Maine.The Maine Diner has gone down in flavor and cost-needs alot of work for the upcoming tourist season.

Reviewed January 23, 2010

We never would have taken a second look at this restaurant had it not been recommended HIGHLY by the owners of the B&B where we stayed. Even with that recommendation we were still blown away by the food. The lobster pie is a must. The lobster stew was stunning. The hot lobster roll was...was...beyond words. No other lobster roll in Maine can come close. And that's just dinner.

We got a slice of the blueberry pie to go because we had no room for dessert but had to have some. When we did finally eat it a few hours later, it was the perfect finish to the meal.

During high season, expect a wait of at least 30 minutes—but it's worth twice the wait.

Reviewed November 11, 2009

I travel a great deal for work. I like to think I know good diner food when I taste it. This isn't it. I tried both dinner and breakfast. For dinner I had chicken pot pie and baked beans. It was pretty good. The wait staff was what I found unpleasant. They were curt at best. What ever you do, don't ask for seperate checks. I went back the next day and had an omlet, toast, baked beans and hash. The hash was from a can and cold. The onions, peppers, and ham were not cooked. Again, the wait staff was not particularly friendly or attentive. Nothing was bad, just not memorable. Certainly didn't live up to the reputation.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

I visit diners all the time all over New England. To me a diner is enormous portions, homecooked and at a reasonable price. This place fails. The portions are skimpy and not all that tasty. Everything is so bland. I was surprised to see that what most typical diners offer on their menus are only a "special of the day" at Maine Diner. So if you want meatloaf and mashed potatoes you have to go there on that particular day. We've tried this place 3 times (breakfast and 2 dinners) and won't return. Each time was a disappointment. My opinion, it's a tourist trap and very over-rated. Not recommended.

1  Thank wintertraveler05

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!