“You'll be surprised from the moment you arrive”
Review of Maine Diner

Maine Diner
Ranked #8 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We never would have taken a second look at this restaurant had it not been recommended HIGHLY by the owners of the B&B where we stayed. Even with that recommendation we were still blown away by the food. The lobster pie is a must. The lobster stew was stunning. The hot lobster roll was...was...beyond words. No other lobster roll in Maine can come close. And that's just dinner.

We got a slice of the blueberry pie to go because we had no room for dessert but had to have some. When we did finally eat it a few hours later, it was the perfect finish to the meal.

During high season, expect a wait of at least 30 minutes—but it's worth twice the wait.

Reviewed November 11, 2009

I travel a great deal for work. I like to think I know good diner food when I taste it. This isn't it. I tried both dinner and breakfast. For dinner I had chicken pot pie and baked beans. It was pretty good. The wait staff was what I found unpleasant. They were curt at best. What ever you do, don't ask for seperate checks. I went back the next day and had an omlet, toast, baked beans and hash. The hash was from a can and cold. The onions, peppers, and ham were not cooked. Again, the wait staff was not particularly friendly or attentive. Nothing was bad, just not memorable. Certainly didn't live up to the reputation.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

I visit diners all the time all over New England. To me a diner is enormous portions, homecooked and at a reasonable price. This place fails. The portions are skimpy and not all that tasty. Everything is so bland. I was surprised to see that what most typical diners offer on their menus are only a "special of the day" at Maine Diner. So if you want meatloaf and mashed potatoes you have to go there on that particular day. We've tried this place 3 times (breakfast and 2 dinners) and won't return. Each time was a disappointment. My opinion, it's a tourist trap and very over-rated. Not recommended.

1  Thank wintertraveler05
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Although the dish looks small you get a lot of lobster in big chunks with excellent sides as well. Great, simple atmosphere with good service. Lobster stew is the best dish on the menu.

Reviewed October 13, 2009

If you are looking for true Maine dining experience that is moderately to low priced, you must go to the Maine Diner in Wells Main. A short ride up Rt 1 from Ogunquit, it is not out of the way at all and along that route, you also have The Sweatshirt Outlet and Home Outlet and quaint Maine shopping spots. It is packed at all times. They serve breakfast (GREAT HASH) lunch and dinner. All very reasonably priced and great homemade foot. Excellent service, friendly wait staff and always GREAT food.

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!