“Over Rated and Over Priced”
Review of Maine Diner

Maine Diner
Ranked #7 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We visited Maine at the end of October 2013 and came across Maine Diner on our way to Kennebunkport. I ordered the Lobster Pie which had received rave reviews according to their menu. What a disappointment! The pie had a very thick topping of buttered bread or cracker crumbs and there was very little lobster in the pie. What lobster there was, was tough, chew and stringy. It was so gross and disgusting I've had better lobster in Missouri. I also ordered a crab cake and that too disappointed. It had more fillers than crab meat. I ordered blueberry pie and it looked and tasted like canned pie filling. To top it all off, the server was grumpy. I should have sent the food back, but left without saying a word. We should have eaten in Kennebunkport. Another review said this place is a marketing machine and he hit the nail on the head.

3  Thank Missouri524

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We eat here at least once or twice a year. There is almost always a wait of five to thirty minutes but it is well worth waiting - they give you a remote buzzer so you can always go back to your car and wait.

The best values that we have found are Twos are Wild and Aces High, you get eggs, bacon, pancakes, home fries and toast. Their sausage is great! The best dessert is the Indian Pudding one of the two best I have ever had (the other is at Moody's Diner in Waldboro). The tables are close together and it can get noisy but you really don't care. Service is quick and attentive and prices are great - for a party of three for brunch we average thirty to forty bucks.

Also, after eating here go slightly West and across the road and you can spend hours at Harding's bookstore, a world-class emporium!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We finally made up our mind that we would wait in line to try this diner. There is always a line because the restaurant is good and was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The wait was worth it--almost!
The fried clams that I had were just great but I don't know what happened to the side of onion rings that we ordered. They had absolutely no flavor--you shouldn't have to add ketchup to get that taste. The french fries were the same--no taste.
Even though we were slightly disappointed in our dinners, we will return again hoping that this was just an off day for the chef. Our waitress was surprised by our comment and assured us that many people say that they like the onion rings. I don't know what happened on this day-but we will try again.
The serving size was good and the prices were reasonable with many entrees of the seafood dependent on the price for the day.
This is a very small diner with limited seating including many small tables for two people. It is crowded and includes counter seating. The service is fast and good.
Give it a try if you are in the area of Wells and are willing to wait in line. The wait is very long as the summer season gets going and people are visiting the Maine area on vacation. Some people have the telephone number of the diner and call ahead when they are about 20 minutes away from the diner. They don't take reservations but they get their name put on the waiting list and shorten their wait time.
We saw many other good looking dinners as they were served to other customers and the other customers seemed satisfied with their dinners. We will give it another try soon.

1  Thank 452shirleys
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Home style cooking featured here - great breakfasts were enjoyed by all 6 in our party. Service is fast and friendly. Can't miss for breakfast!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I look forward to coming here long before my vacation starts. Wonderful food and so fresh. The chowders and the clams are so special and I always try to come at least twice so I can have a delicious corn muffin and the mac and cheese. Value priced and great service.

1  Thank Jody S

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!